Smith River (Not California)

F
fourgotten
So we decided to take a trip down south today and took the Smith River route to Reedsport as one leg of our journey.

Stopped off along the way and hooked up with two steelies within 10 minutes. Needless to say, I was pleased. Of course, both were natives and had to go back (one of them snapped the leader off as I was trying to get the jig out of its mouth, so it got a bonus prize).

Anyone know the chances are of getting a hatchery fish out of the Smith? From what I've been able to find, it's pretty slim and they are all strays from the Umpqua or Siuslaw... Anyone confirm or deny that?

I felt bad for the guy who'd been there before me as I basically walked up, said hi, got my stuff and hooked into two fish right under his nose. It was totally being in the right place at the right time, though... could have happened to anyone. Guy was cool, though, and even netted the second fish for me. Thanks again, cool guy... I didn't get your name!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Probably 1% chance of getting a hatchery fish. Its still fun to fish for those hard fighting fish! Good job.

D
Damon79
Hatchery fish in the Smith

Hatchery fish in the Smith

I dont think there has been a hatchery program on the Smith for about 15 years now.. There is still usaully about 20-30 or so clipped fish pulled from the ladder each year at the falls. That river has some pigs in it too. Not uncommon for a 16# fish in there.. Very good hole behind the Vincent Cr. camp ground.

F
fourgotten
Damon79 said:
I dont think there has been a hatchery program on the Smith for about 15 years now.. There is still usaully about 20-30 or so clipped fish pulled from the ladder each year at the falls. That river has some pigs in it too. Not uncommon for a 16# fish in there.. Very good hole behind the Vincent Cr. camp ground.

I do believe that you just described both the area that I was fishing and the second fish that I hooked up out there.

It was awesome to bring in that big ol' beast, though the first (and smaller) fish was quite the aerobat and a real thrill as well.

P
plumb2fish
Those big nates really clobber hardware.

Last edited: