Smith and Bybee Lakes Fishing?

B
bassman503
My dad used to fish there and caught good numbers of bass and good size. He fished from a canoe though since there was no bank access. Is there any bank access there now? Anybody fished there recently? It looks like it has a lot of potential but i here that the water isn't all so good.

T
The Nothing
There used to be fish there. The lakes have been drained and all you can find are some carp near the landfill. The slough was closed off and there's no longer a way for the fish to get into the lakes.

They're incredibly shallow, only 3' max for about 98% of the lake. The deepest part is actually the channel between the two. I was there back in January just to paddle around. I paddled both lakes and covered over 8 miles of water. Not a fish to be shown on the FF.

G
Gurthy
So is this the truth? Are there absolutely no fish in these lakes? They look so prime for some bassin. Please, someone tell me they've caught something here recently

K
kornphlake
As far as I know the lakes were drained so that they could be connected to the slough, not the other way around. The water diversion channel is only open during part of the year though, I believe in the summer. I've never fished the lakes, but I just bought a yak and I'm anxious to head out there again, last time I went I was disappointed, there's really no bank access at all. It seems like I did see some minnows in the shallows though.

C
c_chickens
there r fish in there! my bro and i went an took a raft out there! lots of weeds out there! its in the regulation hand book! it said u could only keep 1 bass over 15inches! theres another pond right across from the (lowes) or (home de) by the airport it holds some huge large mouth! we hit that pond up b4 it got 2 warm! lots of grass!

B
bassman503
where is this pond?I live close to that area. Mind giving me the directions?

K
kornphlake
Are you talking about the pond next to the home depot off airport way just east of the 205? I've thought about fishing that pond several times but I wasn't sure if it is private property or open to the public.

B
bassman503
Ohh I know where that is. RIght across from Burger King and next to the one Hotel. Looks kinda bassy there. One time I was driving to Best Buy and saw a bobber in the water...

C
c_chickens
yep! the 1 by the airport! smith an bybee r part of the slough same with the airport! google earth its been a couple of years since ive been out 2 smith an bybee! if u take the time 2 figure out what type of bait 2 use i think it would b good! its not really fishd hard so thats 1 good thing!

C
c_chickens
benson lake on 84! did u have any luck???? ive caught a couple tiny smallies! but havent given the other pond a try! i guess that 1 gets stocked with warmwater fish!

T
The Nothing
those are NOT part of Smith & Bybee Lakes, not even close.
Most of the ponds in the vicinity of the airport are TSA property, believe me, you don't want to try and fish them...

B
bassman503
I've never caught any warmwater fish in Benson Lake except Blue gills and sun fish. The pond next to it is called Hartman Pond. I've seen more warmwater fish in Benson than I have in Hartman. I've caught smallies in the Rooster Rock state park boat launch area.

C
c_chickens
hahaha man ive done a lot of tryn 2 bank fishn an goolge earth has been my best friend! an i was sayn smith an bybee were part of the columbia slough! even that 1 by the airport! but if u dont want 2 fish it thats no prob! leaves me with more spots 2 fish! catch an release only!

S
ShdwmnkyX
The Nothing said:
Most of the ponds in the vicinity of the airport are TSA property, believe me, you don't want to try and fish them...
Hmmm... There is a hotel right there that looks like it is only a few feet from the lake in question. There was also an elderly gentleman I used to work with who told me he fished that pond. Of course this was before 9/11 and TSA was a bit different then. Reckon worst case you just play dumb and get away if you are approached and asked to leave.

Last edited: