Smelt dipping?

M
madoc
Okay, struck out on the search function.

I am looking to dip for smelt - both as bait and because they be tasty.
Anyone know of a place where they still run? I'd prefer to not drive more than 2 hours away from Portland

Cheers,
Madoc

F
FishSchooler
We went to kalamath river up in washington twice. Caught several hundred of them both times. Look for secluded areas with rocky drop offs. Use a net at least 12 feet long. Sweep it upstream along the bottom of the river and you'll catch like 5-10 in a sweep.

T
Troutier Bassier
its too lste. They run in Jan/Feb every year.

M
madoc
Troutier Bassier said:
its too lste. They run in Jan/Feb every year.

Right, but where do they run in Oregon?

T
Troutier Bassier
Sandy river, Wilamette are all I know of. Clackamas too, Maybe.

T
Thuggin4Life
My dad used to get them when I was like 2 years old. He told me the stories several times since then. There is a place call Smelt beach or something close to it. It's in yahacts if that's not too far from you. The beach is on the north side of the Adobe. I went looking for it when i stayed there and found out it would have been quicker to walk to it than to drive because the Adobe's ocean front is almost the smelt beach location. He would walk out on the rocks and dip his net in the water after a wave came in. I guess they ride the waves in to spawn in the sand and go right back out really quick. I think he would do this around the 4th of July. And as far as i know you can keep a lot. If you google earth yahact's and find the adobe you can see the rocks I speak of.