Smelly grass

L

Left Bank

I mowed the grass 1 1/2 weeks ago and placed the clippings in the yard debris rolling container that is common in the Portland area. Well after the garbage company did their rounds this morning there was not only a couple inches left inside but the smell was HORRENDOUS. I mean when you open it up is smells like dirty dipers that have sat out in the sun for a few days. So I did what I thought was right and cleaned it out with the hose in our side yard. Now you can smell this S#%@ from 3 houses away. Walk down the sidewalk or just step outside and you seriously start to gag it's so bad.
Anyone know how to get rid of this god forsaken smell? It's just like the effects from a skunk because it's just lingering.:(:(:(:(:(:(

T

TTFishon

I think for skunk smell you mix baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and use immediately. I guess you can try that.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
LB;
With the weather coming your best bet may be to spread it out to dry and then put it back in the container. I was going to suggest putting it in a big garbage bag. But that may not be too bright,as it might combust in the heat. You could bag it and then add cat litter to absorb the moisture and cover the smell. The only other idea that comes to mind is bag it and take it to a dumpster in the next town...lol

Last edited:
S

Swamp Puppy

i thought this thread was about something else.....

L

Left Bank

i thought this thread was about something else.....

Ha ha. I didn't think of that : )

I've tried the baking soda and someone else also suggested vinigar so I got them both on it. I wouldn't want to put in in the rig to take it somewhere because I'd have to fumigate it as well. I seriously had to take the close I was wearing and toss them because the smell got so bad. LOL......
Thanks for the suggestions and if the baking soda/vinigar doesn't work I guess it's my wife and neighbors problem. I'm headed out in the morning for a couple days catching some fishees. : )

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
My neighbor is a retired grounds keeper at WOU. I told him your story and he suggested cat litter. Sprinkle the nasty grass liberally and let it absorb the moisture and odor,bag it and toss it. Good luck.

Top Bottom