Smelly Browns

P
Panda

Hey, I caught some nice Browns yesterday and a couple rainbows. While I was cleaning the fish, I kept smelling a very strong onion, garlic smell and it was driving me crazy trying to find where it was coming from. I finally determined it was coming from the browns.
What the heck??? Has anybody run into this before. Does anybody have an explanation? Are they safe to eat? Help me out please.

O
oldhippie
Panda said:
Hey, I caught some nice Browns yesterday and a couple rainbows. While I was cleaning the fish, I kept smelling a very strong onion, garlic smell and it was driving me crazy trying to find where it was coming from. I finally determined it was coming from the browns.
What the heck??? Has anybody run into this before. Does anybody have an explanation? Are they safe to eat? Help me out please.

Haven't noticed that specifically, but the browns seem to get a little smelly in the fall when they're trying to spawn up there. They're just fine to eat though..

J
joeyota
I was wondering if anyone has been at miller lake lately. I am wanting to go this weekend want to know what it will take to get to the lake. I don't know if it is snowed in or not? I want to take my boat in but if there is snow I will need to take a snowmobile in? I would really like to know if there is still any amount of snow over there or not before I make the drive. I like the Browns.

Thanks Joe

P
Panda
Don' know 'bout snow Joe

Don' know 'bout snow Joe

Hey Joe, I am down in the valley for awhile. I've heard there's not much snow right now, but I can't say about Miller specifically. I'm going up to Crescent Jct. this weekend so if I get a chance I'll go take a look and maybe catch a few!

O
oldhippie
joeyota said:
I was wondering if anyone has been at miller lake lately. I am wanting to go this weekend want to know what it will take to get to the lake. I don't know if it is snowed in or not? I want to take my boat in but if there is snow I will need to take a snowmobile in? I would really like to know if there is still any amount of snow over there or not before I make the drive. I like the Browns.

Thanks Joe

Joe, no way you get in now without a snowmobile. You can call the Chemult Ranger Station for information about the road anytime. Their number is 541-365-4409

J
joeyota
Thanks for the info I might try it Sunday if I can find someone to split my fuel cost to get my 4x4 over there. I don't actually have a snowmobile just a vary capable 4x4. I went to Blair lake last year when there was about six feet of snow and had the lake completely covered.

O
oldhippie
joeyota said:
Thanks for the info I might try it Sunday if I can find someone to split my fuel cost to get my 4x4 over there. I don't actually have a snowmobile just a vary capable 4x4. I went to Blair lake last year when there was about six feet of snow and had the lake completely covered.

You'll have to let me know how it goes, there's probably 10 feet of snow up by the lake and I doubt you'd get up that road in a wheeled vehicle.

J
joeyota
I have failed to get ahold of anybody that has been in the area in the past week. So with out having any sound knowlage of what to expect over there I will probly not be going. I would hate to spent all that time and money to get to a frozen or snow coverd lake.

Thanks Joe

O
osmosis
If you have lockers in and chains on your toyota you shouldnt be afraid of some snow!
A winch makes life even more comfortable.

the only real problem I see - is whether you can get a line into the water through the ice if it is there :)

Last edited:
J
joeyota
osmosis said:
If you have lockers in and chains on your toyota you shouldnt be afraid of some snow!
A winch makes life even more comfortable.

the only real problem I see - is whether you can get a line into the water through the ice if it is there :)

I do have all the gear to get there. You are right the problem could be no water to fish. I have been to a lake that was covered with snow gets kinda scary when you are half way across and your feet start getting wet.