Smallmouth trip in early June

S
Sage_Flyguy
Hey guys I am really new to Bass fishing. Been to the John Day a couple times and floated a few miles targeting smallies. Usually when we go its mid July with surface water temps near 80 degrees. You can't keep the smallies off the line , this year we are making our first trip over the 2nd weekend in June. I have been keeping an eye on the water levels over there at Service Creek and its really high right now .

Now after all this rambling on , are there any techniques or lures I should focus on if they are a bit more picky due to the cooler temperature and higher water . Typically we just throw plastics , I have had the best success just using Robo worms , caught 1 on a Hula popper and another on a spinner bait.

Thanks for any suggestions
Jer

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
For gear fishing, one of my best smallmouth baits has consistantly been a 3" curly tailed grub fished on a round jig head. Chartreuse or white are my fav. colors. Crawfish type jigs also do well.

C
colbypearson
smallmouth actually prefer cooler water, 80 degree water is really way to hot for smallies thats the kind of water where you get lots of little fish but if the water is like 60-70 it should be really good.... for rivers i like dropshotting around current areas with 6" handpour worms with a heavy weight to maintain bottom contact... i would also use small tubes and grubs, good luck.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Colby - when you're drop shotting, are you nose hooking those worms, or wacky hooking?

Last edited by a moderator:
C
colbypearson
in rivers i nose hook more it has a really natural sway of the river while when wacky rigging it looks kindof unnatural IMO i prefer nose hooking them and by heavy weight i use 1/2-3/4oz for the single purpose of letting the bait sit stationary and get that nice natural river sway... with some worms it even has a paddling action if it had a spade shaped tail from the current and it looks like a small baitfish fighting to stay stationary, it has worked incredible at cleaning out bedrock riffles where its 10-15' deep and you can pull honestly 25-50 fish out of the deep bedrock riffles the size of a car! ultimate finesse i dont shake the worm i just let it sink on a tight line making sure my angle is correct to the line doest drift with the current and i have a solid line from my rod tip to my weight, and wait for it to load up, i like using translucent baitfish colors in rivers most, i use this mostly in clearwater in stained i used crankbaits and stuff more but i dont fish rivers much so i havent had much time to experiment. (p.s- i accidentally added this ^ to your post at first lol, darn moderator perks haha)

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
lol

S
sherman
Man Colby you need to write a book on bass fishing. After seeing all your post & seeing you get the only bass at fp invetational I'm hanging on your every advise as a bass noob.

S
Sage_Flyguy
Thanks again to everyone for your help . I may have to see if I can figure out how to dropshot. I bought a new St. Croix premier rod that I am excited to get on the water and try out. I will be sure to post some pictures when we return from our trip.

Thanks again
Jer