Smallmouth on the Willamette River

B
Bassboy262
Has anyone out there been fishing the willamette river in newberg at all latly ? Just wondering because I've been catching a bunch of 1-2 pounders all day I just can't figure out what the bigger fish are wanting...any help would be awesome.. I'm big in largemouth fishing. New to smallies and it's got my head twisted on what to do ,thanks guys and gals

bass
bass
Sorry, but I have not hit the Willamette in quite a while. I have been going to Hagg lately and mostly focusing on trout.

K
kingfish
Bass boy what r u using and how deep r u fishing?

B
Bassboy262
I've been drop shotting the shelfs and ledges ... Been catching most fish on lipless cranks...
And on cranks 8 feet.. Catching them anywhere from 3 feet to 13..
i just feel like I'm fishing the totaly wrong places. I fish the ledges because that's where I was catching them last summer and don't really know where else to fish for smallies... Any help would be greatly appreciated

bass
bass
Water temp reported at Newberg is 60 so smallmouth should be spawning. Usually bigger fish spawn first, so perhaps the big fish are bedding or darn close to it. I would concentrate my efforts around spawning areas.

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
I've been doing the same. I can catch 1-2 pounders all day, nothing bigger. I've been cranking 8-12 ft of water on gravel banks and drop shotting the wood along the way. I'm looking for the big bite too.

B
Bassboy262
Thanks y'all... I guess the next question is where should I look spawning areas? I know rocky areas are good but only small fish... Does anyone ever have good luck fishing the slough over by where the yamhill comes in?

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
Has anyone been to lambert slough yet?

K
kingfish
If they're spawning I'd look for deep cover brush and hit it with a soft plastic also look for deep holes with little moving water use a heavier weight to get down through the little ones quicker that's my 2 cents anyway lol

T
TJR_84
I launch my boat from the wheatland ferry and fish all the way down to lambert slough. The slough has been pretty slow. Have done ok at the mouth for smallies.

P
pinstriper
Bassboy262 said:
Has anyone out there been fishing the willamette river in newberg at all latly ? Just wondering because I've been catching a bunch of 1-2 pounders all day I just can't figure out what the bigger fish are wanting...any help would be awesome.. I'm big in largemouth fishing. New to smallies and it's got my head twisted on what to do ,thanks guys and gals

I was out there today, saw lots of smolt jumping as usual. Managed to get into an absolute beast of a snag. Twice. Was able to actually move it 20' closer to the Champoeg dock. Only cost me one hook/bead set and a brand new spinning lure.

Saw a eel or lamprey swim by. I don't think that counts.