Small stream fly rod

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
After one of my recent posts asking about small creeks and rivers to fish wild trout, I've taken advice and fixed myself a list of creeks surrounding Mt. Hood that I would like to fish. However, I would also like to invest into a fly rod that isn't too long and I can fish a heavily covered area of a creek, and also super light for the small 4-10" trout that I will be hooking into. It's mainly to protect lighter tippets and prevent hookpulls. And as a added benefit its much more fun.

If you have any reccomendations please let me know, I was thinking about something in the 1-2 weight range, but a softer action 3 weight shouldn't hurt. Are their any rods specifically designed for this application?

I've been looking into some of Orvis's rods, but most are over $300 which is a bit much.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
I had a 4wt one of those. Horrible

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I am another for the 3 wt camp. I have a 5 and a 6 weight in the 8'6" length that I have used on small streams with fairly good success also. You just have to be more creative about your casting.

N
newfydog
For close in casting you can't beat fiberglass. A glass rod will self-load--- flex and cast well without a lot of line out. Cabelas CGR work well, Fenwick Fenglass are nice as are Orvis Superfine, Steffens are superb. Many of the cheaper rods are need overlining 1-2 weights, Cabelas CGR are cheap and true to weight.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
newfydog said:
For close in casting you can't beat fiberglass. A glass rod will self-load--- flex and cast well without a lot of line out. Cabelas CGR work well, Fenwick Fenglass are nice as are Orvis Superfine, Steffens are superb. Many of the cheaper rods are need overlining 1-2 weights, Cabelas CGR are cheap and true to weight.
I haven’t had much of a good experience with fiberglass. I bought a Wetfly Nitroglass in a 3 weight and 3 weight line from Cortland specifically for fiberglass rods. Casted like crap. I had a graphite 4 weight for a year before that but it broke and I decided to try a different material now that I knew what weight rod would be good for panfish. So I got the Wetfly Nitroglass as stated, and I could get out more than 20 feet of line. I know a lot of this has to do with skill, but after “practicing” for a year and a half I sold it.

maybe the rod just wasn’t up to smack. I’m not sure. If these fiberglass rods are the real deal I might invest in one.

Casting Call
Casting Call
A "short" HMG might be your ticket. For small creeks and streams, I go bamboo won't brake just bends. the operative word is short. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
I forgot to add in the S glass rods. Tony

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
Aervax
Aervax
If you have not pulled the trigger on your new rod yet, I have a brand new 7'0" 3 Wt Lamiglas Appalachian Travel Series AT703 that has never seen a single cast. It's matched with a Sage Click II reel, which is loaded with a Scientific Anglers Sharkskin floating line. Neither the reel, nor line have seen a single cast either. Health issues have greatly reduced my annual number of fishing days. I'm still getting out a few times on my good days, but not enough for the 3 Wt fly rod to make it into the rotation. I would be glad to make you a good deal if interested.

7'0" 3 Wt Pics

• 20200627_064413.jpg
  • 20200627_064543.jpg
  • 20200627_064527.jpg
Reactions: BrandonBeach and Admin
Aervax
Aervax
$300 for the entire rig. I am willing to sell the rod and reel separately if desired, make offer accordingly. I'm into the set up for $480 with rod, reel and line when I bought it all new. Even though I've never used it, I realize there is lost value just from the fact that it's a few years old and has been sitting in my fly tackle closet. Nikita can have first crack at it. I'll repost this in classifieds if it's still available.

Last edited:
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Aervax said:
$300 for the entire rig. I am willing to sell the rod and reel separately if desired, make offer accordingly. I'm into the set up for $480 with rod, reel and line when I bought it all new. Even though I've never used it, I realize there is lost value just from the fact that it's a few years old and has been sitting in my fly tackle closet. Nikita can have first crack at it. I'll repost this in classifieds if it's still available.
Definitely interested in a buy, however I cannot find any information about the rod. How many pieces is it. Considering it is a travel rod somewhere around four piece?

last question, does the line have a specific taper or is it standard DT? I’ve never had a sharkskin line but can’t wait to try it out.

Aervax
Aervax
Here are a few more details. Honestly, I got this rod 4 or so years ago. My recollection is incomplete on some of it.

AT703 - Appalachian Travel Rod.
7'0", 3 Piece, 3 Wt.
Rod storage tube measures 34" long and 2" diameter.
High modulus graphite fly rod.
A5 = manufactured in January 2015.

Scientific Anglers Sharkskin Flyline - color gray, it was purchased a few years ago, and I am uncertain about the taper. On most flyrods I use for dry fly and nymphing I'll run a weight forward line. I think that is what I did on this one. I stripped the line out so I could look at it end to end. I do think its a WF, but on a line that small in diameter I might be imagining the difference. Sorry I'm not certain about it, and the original packaging is long gone.

A couple more pics are attached.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Did somebody say HMG or S-glass?