Small stream fly rod

nikita_pdx
After one of my recent posts asking about small creeks and rivers to fish wild trout, I've taken advice and fixed myself a list of creeks surrounding Mt. Hood that I would like to fish. However, I would also like to invest into a fly rod that isn't too long and I can fish a heavily covered area of a creek, and also super light for the small 4-10" trout that I will be hooking into. It's mainly to protect lighter tippets and prevent hookpulls. And as a added benefit its much more fun.

If you have any reccomendations please let me know, I was thinking about something in the 1-2 weight range, but a softer action 3 weight shouldn't hurt. Are their any rods specifically designed for this application?

I've been looking into some of Orvis's rods, but most are over $300 which is a bit much.

nikita_pdx
I had a 4wt one of those. Horrible

TheKnigit
I am another for the 3 wt camp. I have a 5 and a 6 weight in the 8'6" length that I have used on small streams with fairly good success also. You just have to be more creative about your casting.

N
newfydog
For close in casting you can't beat fiberglass. A glass rod will self-load--- flex and cast well without a lot of line out. Cabelas CGR work well, Fenwick Fenglass are nice as are Orvis Superfine, Steffens are superb. Many of the cheaper rods are need overlining 1-2 weights, Cabelas CGR are cheap and true to weight.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
nikita_pdx
I haven’t had much of a good experience with fiberglass. I bought a Wetfly Nitroglass in a 3 weight and 3 weight line from Cortland specifically for fiberglass rods. Casted like crap. I had a graphite 4 weight for a year before that but it broke and I decided to try a different material now that I knew what weight rod would be good for panfish. So I got the Wetfly Nitroglass as stated, and I could get out more than 20 feet of line. I know a lot of this has to do with skill, but after “practicing” for a year and a half I sold it.

maybe the rod just wasn’t up to smack. I’m not sure. If these fiberglass rods are the real deal I might invest in one.

Casting Call
A "short" HMG might be your ticket. For small creeks and streams, I go bamboo won't brake just bends. the operative word is short. Tony

Casting Call
I forgot to add in the S glass rods. Tony

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
Aervax
If you have not pulled the trigger on your new rod yet, I have a brand new 7'0" 3 Wt Lamiglas Appalachian Travel Series AT703 that has never seen a single cast. It's matched with a Sage Click II reel, which is loaded with a Scientific Anglers Sharkskin floating line. Neither the reel, nor line have seen a single cast either. Health issues have greatly reduced my annual number of fishing days. I'm still getting out a few times on my good days, but not enough for the 3 Wt fly rod to make it into the rotation. I would be glad to make you a good deal if interested.

7'0" 3 Wt Pics

• 20200627_064413.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200627_064543.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 20200627_064527.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: BrandonBeach and Admin
Aervax
$300 for the entire rig. I am willing to sell the rod and reel separately if desired, make offer accordingly. I'm into the set up for $480 with rod, reel and line when I bought it all new. Even though I've never used it, I realize there is lost value just from the fact that it's a few years old and has been sitting in my fly tackle closet. Nikita can have first crack at it. I'll repost this in classifieds if it's still available.

Last edited:
nikita_pdx
Definitely interested in a buy, however I cannot find any information about the rod. How many pieces is it. Considering it is a travel rod somewhere around four piece?

last question, does the line have a specific taper or is it standard DT? I’ve never had a sharkskin line but can’t wait to try it out.

Aervax
Here are a few more details. Honestly, I got this rod 4 or so years ago. My recollection is incomplete on some of it.

AT703 - Appalachian Travel Rod.
7'0", 3 Piece, 3 Wt.
Rod storage tube measures 34" long and 2" diameter.
High modulus graphite fly rod.
A5 = manufactured in January 2015.

Scientific Anglers Sharkskin Flyline - color gray, it was purchased a few years ago, and I am uncertain about the taper. On most flyrods I use for dry fly and nymphing I'll run a weight forward line. I think that is what I did on this one. I stripped the line out so I could look at it end to end. I do think its a WF, but on a line that small in diameter I might be imagining the difference. Sorry I'm not certain about it, and the original packaging is long gone.

A couple more pics are attached.

• 20200628_110408.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200628_110420.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200628_110553.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20200628_111348.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 140
Casting Call
Did somebody say HMG or S-glass?