Small Nissan Outboard Motors

N
n8r1
Just wondering if anybody here has any experience owning/operating a small Nissan Outboard? (in the 5-10 HP range) I'm looking to buy one but am wondering what your opinions are on it. Hated it? Loved it? Any other comments or thoughts?

I'm looking at a 4-stroke, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

S
slabjig
n8r1 said:
Just wondering if anybody here has any experience owning/operating a small Nissan Outboard? (in the 5-10 HP range) I'm looking to buy one but am wondering what your opinions are on it. Hated it? Loved it? Any other comments or thoughts?

I'm looking at a 4-stroke, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

I have a 6 hp Nissan and a 9.9 hp Nissan. Both of these motors as well as all Mercury 4 strokes less than 30 hp are made by Tohatsu, so Mercury tank fittings (the new ones for their four stroke kickers) will fit these motors. I purchased the 6 hp used, it's a single cylinder and very light, but does vibrate a bit. Starts easily and idles well. It has a saltwater flushing port under the power head, and the flushing tool for Yamaha jet drives fits this port. The 9.9 hp is new, it's an electric start and is going to be my kicker on my bigger boat, replacing a 1995 Yamaha T9.9 which I hate (fussy carburetor which doesn't like ethanol, hard starting and has an ill conceived automatic choke). I've only done 6 hours of break in in a tank, so limited experience but so far no issues with the 9.9 hp. I purchased this motor from Cabelas, so received it in the manufacturer's box..just put in motor oil, hooked it up to a battery and the gas tank from the 6 hp (interchangeable) and it fired right up in a tank). My understanding is that Tohatsu is the second largest manufacturer of outboards (not sure who is number one) in the world, just not too many Tohatsu/Nissans around here (although quite a few of the Merc 4 strokes). Manuals for these motors are available free online if you want to see a bit of detail about their setup and construction: Nissan Marine Outboards - Authorized Distributor Offering Boat Motor Products, Technical Information, & Dealer Locations for the U.S. & Canada."

N
n8r1
Awesome! I can't thank you enough for that info, much more than I expected and very helpful!

T
Thuggin4Life
my buddy has a 9.9 2 stroke and it seams to be a good runner. i woun't buy anything but merc. love the shift on the trottle for one handed operation. ingenious.

I
ICamel49
I have a 6HP 4 stroke Nissan that has serviced me well for 5 years. No complaints.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Can you still buy a nissan? I Know a few people that had them, never had any problems.

J
jerr1939
Just adding to what slabjig said I have read that Tohatsu is the largest manufacture???? You can buy a Tohatsu for several hundreds less that the Nissan or Mer. only difference is paint color, you can order from online and have delivered to your door, think most prices quoted are delivered prices. 4 stroke only way to go.
Just my2centsworth,,,,Jerr

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Nissan-8-hp-Outboards.html

see the price spread has really narrowed down, when I was looking it was better than $200, now only $45, I think still better than what you can get from Marina??

Last edited: