Small mouth on the Umpqua

D
deejay
does anyone know the status of the smallys on the umpqua, im fixin on runnin the drift boat down elkton this weekend hope fully well have at least a 50 fish day well see.

M
MontanaMoose
Umpqua smallies

Umpqua smallies

I tried hard on Sunday Deejay and din't get a one...funny too because couple weeks ago around Umpqua I hooked a nice one....so thought by Sunday they'd be going strong. Thinking downstream more. Maybe this weekend.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
i saw a couple in the rocks at tyee campground. caught nothing that day either. THat was last weekend.

M
MontanaMoose
Fishing so far this year....

Fishing so far this year....

Been weird for me anyway...the usual places I go and do ok in aren't working...shoot...i usually start getting lmb at Coop for example, late feb, early march. Not this year...no steel for me so far either....i'm still hopeful about up high on the Umpqua though.

But i really want to get going on the smallies this year. I know they're in there by the millions. Just gotta light 'em up.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

D
deejay
2 weeks ago i got a few at the tunnell past elkton on 38 using shad minnows its a nice little secret hole ive been fishing for a few years that got me all jacked up and now i want to hit it hard at elkton but the water is still a lil high

M
MontanaMoose
A little high...

A little high...

yeah, that's all that's keepin' me from drivin' downriver a ways...just know that it won't be easy to fish. It should be warm enough now though. That's a haul for you Deejay, or are you over here around Roseburg on business ?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

M
m_vang
hit up the stretch of river at elkton for some bank fishing, did pretty good on smallies. the mid to high water levels make it frustrating, cause some pools just arent deep enough for fish to collect along the bank. but it seems the males are out in force building/guarding nests.
i got 5 fish, 2 were 12"+. my buddies got some as well. we probably caught around 30 fish total.

M
MontanaMoose
Elkton smallies...

Elkton smallies...

Sounds good to me m_vang...i'm ready to head back down that way. I've gone down the trail behind the school...

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

B
brysageek
It may be a little late since your post but their in!

It may be a little late since your post but their in!

:)Started at Scotts Landing and pulled out at Low water crossing,did it two days in a row and probably caught over 60 within those two days it was ridiculous I haven't caught that many in a longgg timmmmee~!

M
MontanaMoose
I'll say their in...

I'll say their in...

Back from Mack Brown after about 30 or so smb's last week, nothing huge but today i tried higher up and it was non-stop action all day and i got into a couple over a pound and one prolly pushing 3 or better...LLR on that one...fly at Mack Brown...orange stimulator and all white deceiver...size 4 and 6 respectively.

Today's flies were a hopper and back to the white deceiver for the rest of a long hot day but i was wet wading so i was 'cool'...heh...oh, size 8 on the hopper..got some surface action early on...popped it...then switched to the deceiver rest of day...first one, size 6 got broke off on the strike..all i saw was a big bronze side down deep...finished up with same fly in a size 4..little different though...instead of black thread, i had tied this one with red thread...they seemed to like that better up higher where i was.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
MontanaMoose said:
Back from Mack Brown after about 30 or so smb's last week, nothing huge but today i tried higher up and it was non-stop action all day and i got into a couple over a pound and one prolly pushing 3 or better...LLR on that one...fly at Mack Brown...orange stimulator and all white deceiver...size 4 and 6 respectively.

Today's flies were a hopper and back to the white deceiver for the rest of a long hot day but i was wet wading so i was 'cool'...heh...oh, size 8 on the hopper..got some surface action early on...popped it...then switched to the deceiver rest of day...first one, size 6 got broke off on the strike..all i saw was a big bronze side down deep...finished up with same fly in a size 4..little different though...instead of black thread, i had tied this one with red thread...they seemed to like that better up higher where i was.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Glad to see you back. Yeah ive been bringing home bucketloads every time i go out. Go to that beachy area with the mini waterfall on that big corner. Bout 4 or 5 miles past mack brown. Epic fishing all day. So if that spot is taken i know another little spot right above that whcich is just as good just a little tricker to fish in between the rocks but you get just as many.

M
MontanaMoose
Thanks, i've been really busy this summer but i've managed some fishing...

Scarecro said:
Glad to see you back. Yeah ive been bringing home bucketloads every time i go out. Go to that beachy area with the mini waterfall on that big corner. Bout 4 or 5 miles past mack brown. Epic fishing all day. So if that spot is taken i know another little spot right above that whcich is just as good just a little tricker to fish in between the rocks but you get just as many.

....beachy area...well i think i know where that is....not certain though...hey Scarecro, give me a shout the night before the next time you go downstream...maybe try to find you down there !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
Aight moose. im more of the midday fisherman. i work graveyard so...

Ill let you know next time i plan on going. See the thing is that i dont dare take anyone with me when i have my dog cuz he can be a handful sometimes. I usually go 2-3 times a week. and all weekend. Just cruise out on tyee road this side of the bridge and lookout for a tan explorer with a oregon ducks sticker and tinted windows on the weekends.

M
MontanaMoose
Graveyard...

Graveyard...

...oh ok...that explains it...and yeah, i just meant i'd meet you down there or look around for you. Tan Explorer.... with tinted windows only on the weekends? Just kidding ! Tyee Road...got it. Will look for you and the handful.

I've been doing really well at Mack Brown...not many fish there it seems during the week. I might head downriver tomorrow noon or so...i'll have the old fishing rig...'87 small yellow gm car.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

P.S. Dog don't bother me at all..
...did lots of fishing with labs.