Small lake big bass?

A
a-mac
Hey guys! I just moved to Corvallis from Indiana... so yeah, I got an itch for bass. I have a blown powerhead on my merc black max at the moment... so I'm trolling motor only. Are there any lakes within 1.5hrs that I can put an 18ft boat in, troll around and still be able to catch some decent fish? I'm afraid of putting in on a place like fern ridge... I don't particularly feel like gambling on how far I can troll down the bank before turning back (let alone if the wind picks up)

I fished Freeway lakes the other day and managed to get my first bite since moving in 2 weeks ago... turned out to be a largemouth close to 5lbs.:D Nice way to break the skunk (at least for Indiana standards). Bad thing is.... they all turned into 13-15 inchers after that. It seems I have a good bit to learn about these trout fed bass.

Any info on lakes I might be able to drop in and fish would be greatly appreciated!

Live2Fish~Fish2LIve
-aaron

T
Troutier Bassier
Welcome to the Forum and Oregon!
I dont know much about Corvallis but Im sure some Other Members could help out. And nice job on the 5lber.
Good luck.

A
a-mac
Thanks! I'm eyeballing ollala lake towards the west. I read its only 100 acres. However, I'd hate to make the drive out there without knowing anything about it... I read somewhere about the lake levels being pretty low in late September and the ramp having difficult access. However, that was from a 2000 report.

F
FishTy
a-mac said:
Thanks! I'm eyeballing ollala lake towards the west. I read its only 100 acres. However, I'd hate to make the drive out there without knowing anything about it... I read somewhere about the lake levels being pretty low in late September and the ramp having difficult access. However, that was from a 2000 report.

I used to fish Ollala a lot about 10 yrs ago , went over there for the first time this year since then its a nice lake. the ramp is Gravel and shallow and no dock, its electric motor only. so most boats that have only an electric motor. shouldn't have a problem launching it..
I've caught lots of bass out of that lake. lots around 2to4 pounds and I've had way bigger- Guess- 7 to 9 pounds follow my lures before but never connected with any. Lots of Yellow Perch, Trout, and they throw stealhead in there I caught one of those once from a raft that towed my all over that lake before I got it in.

I don't know the level of the lake right now thou..??
but its a nice little lake.

A
a-mac
Very cool fishty! I might just have to check it out. I read its a city park... Is there a special permit required? Reason why I ask is that city and county lakes in Indiana charge anywhere from 14-30 bucks per launch just to fish fish one day, or you have to buy a city lake permit (about 30 bucks for the year).

A
a-mac
One last question about ollala. Is the ramp located off ollala road? It doesn't seem to stand out on google earth.
Thanks!

T
Thuggin4Life
Dorena or cottage grove are a bit of a drive but have bass.

F
FishTy
a-mac said:
Very cool fishty! I might just have to check it out. I read its a city park... Is there a special permit required? Reason why I ask is that city and county lakes in Indiana charge anywhere from 14-30 bucks per launch just to fish fish one day, or you have to buy a city lake permit (about 30 bucks for the year).

There is no fee, that I know of. its a day use only lake, but I don't think that there is a gate that they close.. so you can go early( before day light ) if a person wants to..

F
FishTy
a-mac said:
One last question about ollala. Is the ramp located off ollala road? It doesn't seem to stand out on google earth.
Thanks!

Upper Olalla Road... On Map Quest it shows the road and the lake!
just North of Toledo, OR Once you take the road you will pass a golf course the lake is at the end of that road. On the map the road looks like it goes past the lake but there is a gate...

A
a-mac
Ahh you are right! Google earth showed the road ended just before. Well appreciate the info guys! I'm off to the lake! I'll give a report this evening.

T
TTFishon
I'm not sure how big the average bass is but Foster and Green Peter have bass.

S
steelheadstalker31
Triangle lake is small and has some very large bass in it. All large mouth as far as I know, just be sure to bonk every bass you catch so they don't eat all the salmon and steelhead smolts that grow up in there. Also, when you are ready to go catch a fish that takes more than a minute to fight, go get yourself a good jig and bobber rod and go steelhead fishing. The winter fish will be arriving soon.

R
Ryno Smojo
Olalla lake

Olalla lake

Its a pretty little lake, we go every year and if the bass aren't bitting we always can play with the rainbows. In response to the last thread, I love steelhead too but theres something about those bass hitting top water in the evenings that gets me all excited.

A
a-mac
Well it seems that I wasted my time trying ollala... I showed up at the ramp early this morning... looked over the edge and there lay the water... 50ft below. The lake looks interesting, since I could see half of it. Lots of stumps it seems.

F
FishTy
a-mac said:
Well it seems that I wasted my time trying ollala... I showed up at the ramp early this morning... looked over the edge and there lay the water... 50ft below. The lake looks interesting, since I could see half of it. Lots of stumps it seems.

Well that Sucks!
wonder why they can't make the boat ramp usable when they lake is low?
did you try to fish it from the bank while you were there?

A
a-mac
I debated it, if I had my rubber boots I might have given it a try. It was mushy even before you got near the water. It might have been a fun slide down to the water!

Does anyone know anything about sutton lakes near florence? I'm debating on going out there and giving it a try tomorrow. However, I want to make sure that this lake is actually fishable by boat before I make a 2.5hr drive. Any info is of course greatly appreciated! Also, if this lake is high and dry (or just not worth my time fishing) what would be a better alternative.

Thanks again guys!

J
jayfatal
I fish Sutton a few times a year. Lot of lilly pads, and in the East Lake I have found the fishing to be much better. I've never caught anything over a couple pounds there, but there is bass in there and it is always fishable. It's good for a small boat, nothing too big. The ramp is super shallow and sketchy, and goes into a very narrow channel. But it's a fun place to go. Also, if you are in that area, Munsel and Mercer lakes are within 5 minutes of Sutton and all have decent to good fishing. Never been to them this late in the year, but always worth the trip when I go. Hope that helps

jay

A
a-mac
Sutton was disappointing to say the least. Managed one 13" bass and had a few other bites. Good looking lake though. I took out around noon today grabbed some grub and tried my luck at munsel. I had similar results; however, I was catching some nice trout... on a pointer jerkbait! Right off the bat it looked like I had about a 3-4lb largemouth chase my lure to the boat. However, the fish didn't react right. Then in the next few cast I kept having more follows (not nearly that big but decent sized fish). Finally I caught a rainbow that went 14" and another around 12". I bet I had a dozen in that size category chase my pointer all the way to the boat. I actually had 3 or 4 hooked but they came unglued. Forgot to mention, the 14" trout was caught on a texas rigged worm!

Well my bass fishing sucked today... But I learned how to catch trout... Or so I think? I kept seeing what appeared to be schools of fish on the depth finder with larger fish mixed in. If I was in Indiana, I'd say it was a school of gizzard shad with bass feeding within. I saw this more often at Munsel in the 25ft deep zone. Are these bass schooling rainbows? If so, HOW DO YA CATCH THEM?

Fall fishing in Indiana is like shootin fish in a barrell, I can't quite seem to get them figured out here. Any tips? BTW, most water temps I've been fishing have been about 50-52F.

Thanks again for the info guys! Munsel looks like it has potential!

A
a-mac
Any word on whether triangle lake's ramp is accessible? I was thinking about going after some largemouths in a couple days. I find it very hard to find lake level information in this state. All of Indiana's reservoirs are on the USGS site. I found very little offered for Oregon. Is there a website that I'm missing that has this info? I just can't believe that its not posted anywhere if a lake isn't even accessible. Thanks!

T
TTFishon
a-mac said:
Any word on whether triangle lake's ramp is accessible? I was thinking about going after some largemouths in a couple days. I find it very hard to find lake level information in this state. All of Indiana's reservoirs are on the USGS site. I found very little offered for Oregon. Is there a website that I'm missing that has this info? I just can't believe that its not posted anywhere if a lake isn't even accessible. Thanks!

It should be. I don't see why it wouldn't be unless there was some kind of construction going on it should be open.