Small Eggs

B
bweb
Okay, so I've had pretty good luck on the Willamette this year for springers and I ended up saving the eggs (I cured them) out of the hens I've gotten and froze them. When I compare the eggs I have to the eggs sold in stores, my eggs are much smaller. Does this make any difference when float fishing on the Sandy or Clack? Are my eggs decent to use or not? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

N
nwkiller
they work good but not as well, the reason that the eggs are so small is because those fish still have a bit of traveling to do, we caught some out of the columbia b4 it closed and they were really small, but those fish were heading for idaho, i think the smaller eggswill work but they will catch more trout and steel then salmon, but ive heard that a reason salmon will hit eggs as nit for food, but tey think that it is there duty to return the eggs back up river where hey think they came from, so they may hit them as well...good luck and tight lines

B
BlackBass
The old timers wont tell you the truth so i will :) Immature springer eggs work very well for springer's. I butterfly them down the middle, then soak them in your favorite scent and cure. Fish them wet with scent and cure. I used immature uncured springer eggs one season and caught more fish then with traditional cured eggs. Best day was 12 chinook to the net using the eggs mentioned.

O
osmosis
only 12? :D

they will work just fine. However, a larger egg that milks more and juices better on the bite simply works better in almost all average conditions.

We've got more than our fair share of springers in my boat this year and plenty of them have been on the springer eggs.

I like to save the small berries for coho, they love 'em.

Last edited:
B
bweb
Thanks so much for the help. I'll probably use some now and save most for coho season.

B
BlackBass
osmosis said:
only 12? :D

12 to my rod in one moring fishing the Lebanon dam. I would say thats good enough . I do agree that in almost all salmon conditions a milky wet bait is prefered.I know that they work was the point i was trying to make.