Small caliber pistol advice

C

cookshot

Wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a small caliber pistol that my girlfriends mom could have around the house for safety. She didn't want a .357 so I'm thinking something like a .32, .25 or .22 caliber. I want to get her something that preferably has more than two shots. Any suggestions would be great.

J

joesnuffy

if it's for home defense I'd recommend getting a shotgun of some sort.

if fired it the house you don't need to worry about it going through the wall of your house and into your neighbors.

C

chris61182

Are you looking specifically for a wheel gun or is there an option for a semi-auto? Your suggesting of .32 or .25 would lead me to believe that you're open to semis. There are plenty of awesome .25s and .32s designed for concealed carry but if it's going to strictly be a house gun, I'd go for a slightly larger frame gun to fit better in her hand, and the added mass will reduce the felt recoil as well.

If she's a typical non-shooting female nearly any single stack .380 or 9mm should fit her hand fairly well and the recoil shouldn't be too oppressive, this could mean any number of Sig models at the high end of the price range down to a Bersa or Taurus (skip the 709slim unless it's going to be used for CC) at the bottom of the price range.

If she has larger hands and good grip strength there's nothing stopping me from recommending the normal line of Glocks, XDs, or M&Ps in what ever caliber floats her boat.

C

chris61182

if it's for home defense I'd recommend getting a shotgun of some sort.

if fired it the house you don't need to worry about it going through the wall of your house and into your neighbors.

Unfortunately that opens an ugly can of worms. Any round that will penetrate a bad guy sufficiently will penetrate walls too easily. The only exception I've seen to this is good-high-quality self-defense (or large varmint) ammo out of a .223, where the bullet will fragment after penetration.

T

tomriker

i just got a rugler LCP .380 at the gunshow over the weekend for my wife. she loves it. it's super light, 6 +1 rounds and easy for her small hands to handle. here is a website to it and it's only 300 bucks and you can get it in pink too! lol. Ruger® LCP™ Centerfire Pistol

L

lilsalmon

That's sweet!!! Not in pink tho....ish :D Sorry I butted in again. Wish list: Salmon and Ruger LCP .380 in that order

F

Fishtopher

My first vote is 12 gauge. Kills or wounds bad guys at whatever range inside your house, and it sure isn't going to go through a few walls and into the neighbors house. Unless you live in an apartment...

Second vote is .380.

T

tomriker

i agree a nice tacticle shotgun would do the trick. but it's a little harder to put in the nightstand and may be too much for an older lady to handle (no offense to any old ladys out there that use shotguns regularly)

J

joesnuffy

a while back, Bi-Mart had a shotgun for sell that came with a swapable shortbarrel for home protection. I havn't seen it is stock for a while though.

E

eggs

I have a Ruger LCP .380 and HIGHLY recommend it as a small caliber self defense pistol. Virtually no kick when fired and very light and consealable.

Rose you have seen my LCP before at Trout Creek or Olallie...

C

cookshot

She had a .357 (belonged to late husband) but she gave it to me because she thought it was too big... So shotgun is probably out. I don't have a preference for semi or revolver, I'm just looking for something more than a derringer. I was looking at the Beretta tomcat possibly, but I'm going to check out the Ruger too. Appreciate all the info so far, I'm definitely taking notes. Keep it coming. I don't own a 380, but I have a .357 and .30 carbine. If I'm not mistaken a .380 can be fired from a .357 so it must be pretty similar size. I don't think it's too big, but she wants something smaller than a .357. So I guess my question is, how big of a step down is a .380 from a .357?

C

chris61182

If I'm not mistaken a .380 can be fired from a .357 so it must be pretty similar size.

Oh good god no!!! 38 special can be fired from a 357 but not a .380acp.

I don't think it's too big, but she wants something smaller than a .357. So I guess my question is, how big of a step down is a .380 from a .357?

It's a pretty substantial step down. 380 which is also known as a 9mm short (9mm kurz), is in the same class as 38 special, and 9mm Makarov. Those are all about 1/2 a 9mm luger and aren't quite 1/4 a .357.

The Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, Kel-Tec P32, DiamondBack 380, and countless others are all fine guns, but I still would recommend against them as house guns as their grips are all very small and the guns are exceedingly light weight. The Tomcat will have much of the same problem with the grip size but not as much with the weight being a steel frame. Does the Tomcat also have the tip-up barrel or is that on the 22lr version only? That's another plus for someone without much grip strength.

C

cookshot

I'm pretty sure all the tomcats have the pop up barrell from pictures I have been looking at. She's pretty small, maybe 105 lbs 5'1 so grip size isn't a big deal, but weight may be...

H

Hawk

Wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a small caliber pistol that my girlfriends mom could have around the house for safety. She didn't want a .357 so I'm thinking something like a .32, .25 or .22 caliber. I want to get her something that preferably has more than two shots. Any suggestions would be great.

A few lustrums back at a local gun show, fer 175 buckaroo$, i bought a H&R sportsman .22lr, double action 9shooter. She is a reel sweet pistola.

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool:

H&R "SPORTSMAN" double action .22 - Page 2 - TheFirearmsForum.Com
H & R Firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia