small bass?

F
fishgriller
so ive landed probably 150-200 bass this year but not one over 2 pounds and im kinda getting a lil bit frustrated any suggestions?

P.S if its a secret you dont want to share with everyone send me a pm

Thanks Brad

T
Troutier Bassier
Ive caught over 10 5Lbers.

Just there eating Shad minnows right now, Its the perfect time to use X-Raps and White Senkos!.

Fish around Wingdams, In Currenty Areas and Eddys. and Rock piles too

1bigfish
Don't ask me I am still trying to figure out what my own lack of big fish this year.

I have 222 smallies this year so far and have yet to get one over 3lbs.

I have one LMB this year and it was 6lbs 8ozs.

T
Troutier Bassier
:rolleyes:Adults.

F
fishgriller
well actually im not an adult and x-raps arent working anywhere

F
flippinbaits
trouttier bassier where these sweet pics of the 5lbers??? :clap:

as far as increasing your size of catch. i would simply switch to a bigger bait. you will catch less fish, but when you do get one, it will be a better size. are you targeting small mouth or lm? in any case i would try a jig w/ trailer and a 4'' paddletail swimbait. basstrix and berkley make some good hollowbelly swimbaits.

goodluck!

T
Troutier Bassier
Are you using Shallow or Deep? The bass are suspended so if its a Deep runner it should be working.

And where are you guys Fishing?
Im fishing in the Colombia. Behined wing dams and stream inlets.

Throw everything in your tacklebox at them if you find a likely spot. and if you get a hit, after 5 casts switch a lure,
every 20 casts I switch lures.

T
Troutier Bassier
I dident take pics, I dont have a Cammera phone anymore so I take my friends sister. shes my Photographer.

next time I catch one I will take Pictures, I promise.

F
flippinbaits
if you get a hit after 5 casts you switch lures?

interesting???

ok, i would love to see some 5 lbrs. most people that catch them seem to not take pics :think:

T
Troutier Bassier
Sorry I meant When I get a Hit, 5 Casts after that I swith Lures.

Im Sorry,

The one that I caught Recently I released it, If I took him home I wouldve taken a Pic.

N
ninja2010
what 1bigfish sez... big lure=big fish. if you're tired of dinks, size up and hold tight.

i started fishing lmb on tubes and small jigs, and it's a toss up on what's gonna hit. but i switched to swimbaits, cranks and spinnerbaits... and that's when i started pulling hawgs. the catch rate lowered but the booyah factor shot straight up.

bass work hard for their food, as ambush predators. so they need to make every effort count - that's why they would go for the biggest bite they can get. the hawgs (old geezers) got that way coz they hunt big and they don't waste their energy on snacks.

big bait = big fish...

try it.

F
fishgriller
well see im fishing lm's in a lake and ive had several strikes on buzzbait in the pads and ive tryed spinnerbait and cranks allready with no luck but not swimbait yet so ill have to try...

N
ninja2010
in the pads, i used to slay em with frogs... try that. you'll need a rod with solid backbone or the big uns will turn real fast and get you tangled.

F
fishgriller
i did use a piece of crap rubber frog with no legs and got a big hit so im planning on ordering some trophy scumfrogs and that should get me a hawg or two

N
ninja2010
hmmmm... legless frog??? :rolleyes:

sometimes when my frog slides up on a pad, i'd twitch it for a bit before putting it back in the water and - BAM - right then it'll get hit. the bass was waiting... try that too.

F
fishgriller
ya i dont know it used to have legs but they got torn off by the weeds a long time ago

1bigfish
ninja2010 said:
what 1bigfish sez... big lure=big fish. if you're tired of dinks, size up and hold tight.

big bait = big fish...

Actually it was Flippinbaits that said that, and as my former partner he knows I don't completely buy into that. True larger fish do tend to want a meal that will be worth their effort, however larger(older/smarter) bass also know the size of the baitfish they are chasing are and if your lure is too big to be a real baitfish they may not chase your unnatural looking lure.

Here is a simple example from last year. Flippinbaits was even with me on this trip and he should remember the trip since he got his biggest smallie ever on that trip. I fished mostly cranks that trip but my biggest fish and smallest fish of the trip both came on soft plastics. Biggest for me was a 2lb 6oz smallie on a 3inch senko. Smallest for me was under 10inches and was landed on a Yum brushhog.

In general, big bait = big fish, may be true but I personally don't buy into that rule. If I were to have a rule I would say match the hatch.(but that is another dicussion entirely.:D

N
ninja2010
1bigfish said:
Actually it was Flippinbaits that said that

a thousand apologies... my bad... :confused:

N
ninja2010
fishgriller said:
ya i dont know it used to have legs but they got torn off by the weeds a long time ago

frogs with no legs is just a lump :lol::lol::lol:

1bigfish
ninja2010 said:
a thousand apologies... my bad... :confused:

No need to apologies. It's all good.:cool: