Slip-float fishing???

G
goatsafari
We had some time to kill today so my wife and I went out with our 5 and 2 1/2 year old. A couple weeks ago we were here and caught a really nice one just with powerbait off the bottom. So along with everyone else we were using this method again. Nothing was happening today though, except for one guy next to us, about 20 yards away. He pulled out 5 in relatively short time while nobody else even had bites.

So this brings me to my question. Was he using some type of slip-float or maybe even just regular float fishing? On his way out he stopped by us and was a really nice older guy but he barely spoke English (he was European I believe) and so I couldn't really get any information. He just confirmed that he was using powerbait but on a small hook. From the looks of it, a 12 or maybe 14.

His set up looked like some type of slip float with about 3 feet of line, a couple split-shot sinkers then his hook about 6 inches after that. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I don't recall seeing the float move on his line at all so maybe it was a regular float. It seemed to have a circular shape near the top with a slender point from the bottom as well as the top.

As I type this I'm pretty much confirming my thoughts but I'd still like to get some thoughts and advice on it as I've never seen anyone else float fish there. It does make sense though since I was seeing fish rise.

I've never used a slip float and maybe only once or twice even used a normal float so I'm actually kind of have no idea how to go about doing it. I think i'll try it later this week out there. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this at WW.

The pick is of the trout we hooked about a week and a half ago. It was caught on my son's spiderman pole, I had to step in the water to stop it from being dragged into the lake :) It was just at 17 inches!

Last edited by a moderator:
T
troutmasta
I like to use a casting float for trout it looks like a tear drop. Just tie you leader on the bottom of it and main line on the top.
It sounds to me like your describing a small steelhead or salmon float. If you do want a sliding float for trout I would use an 1/8 oz or 1/16 oz stealhead float. There are small rubber bands that you use to secure your line to the very tops and bottoms of the narrow parts that stick off the top and bottom. The reason is when fishng in a river the direction the top is pointing indicates what way the bottom is pointing and in turn what is going with your gear (dragging, bouncing, floating perfectly, etc.) If you chose to use a true sliding float I would go with beau-mac. Itll come with little knots you put on your line above it controlling how far the bobber can slide up, or inversely how deep down your set up can slide. Good Luck -TM

bass
bass
First , I think that TM's comments on setting up a sliding float are spot on.

However, it sounds to me that the European guy was using the type of floats we used to use for crappie and brim a lot. It is like a quill with a ball in the middle. Sort of the predecessor of the modern steelhead float. The floats we used to use are not slip floats they often had a spring and a slot on the one quill to hold the line with tension. Thus, to me it sounds like he was just doing some good old fashioned bobber fishing. I have definitely had days when I could catch them on top and not on bottom. I think if the fish are cruising for midges then float fishing works great. For whatever reason I have also had great success using a single salmon egg (Pautzke's balls of fire) under a float. The nice thing is that they sink which is what you want when float fishing. I usually set a depth of 2-4' so a sliding float is not necessary.

The other problem with fishing a sliding float from shore is that the line drag can pull the terminal tackle up the float which is not what you want. It can be done, but takes more paying attention to keep it properly set, especially if there any kind of breeze moving your float. A fixed float is much easier to keep in the fishy zone.

G
goatsafari
Thanks bass and TM for your replies. The more I think about it, and even after reading what you both had to say, I do believe he was doing some simple bobber fishing. (Bass, your description sounds very near identical to what I was seeing him use) Next time I take the kids out I'm definitely going to try it if I see them feeding at the top and nobody appears to be getting anything off the bottom. The last couple times I've been out there it has been windy so i'll be avoiding the slip-float and just seeing what I can get done. Thanks again for your replies, great information!

bass
bass
goatsafari said:
Thanks bass and TM for your replies. The more I think about it, and even after reading what you both had to say, I do believe he was doing some simple bobber fishing. (Bass, your description sounds very near identical to what I was seeing him use) Next time I take the kids out I'm definitely going to try it if I see them feeding at the top and nobody appears to be getting anything off the bottom. The last couple times I've been out there it has been windy so i'll be avoiding the slip-float and just seeing what I can get done. Thanks again for your replies, great information!

It makes it harder to see, but if you add enough split shot to almost sink the float (just the tip visible) you will get multiple benefits. It is easier for a trout to pull the float under. If it is windy the bobber will not act like a sail. The extra weight is more inertia for the wind to overcome. The down side is that it is easy to lose track of the float. I set how deeply the float sits depending upon my distraction level on a given day:)

troutdude
troutdude
I love slip-float fishing! It's a great way, to find the correct depth and get into the fish. You'll like it!

I use Thill balsa wood slip floats.

Here it is shown, in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxrXxIiiIGY

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
I generally get a second rod use permit every year for fishing in still waters ( as per the permit ) and one rod is always set up with a slip float . Thill makes several different styles that range all the way from the "Shy Bite" super thin models to rater large ones indeed . There are even weighted models from Thill , Lindy and others that will really get you out there if you are fishing from the bank . Some models have a slot cut down the side to the slip channel with a rotating center sleeve that will allow you to add a float to a standard light weight bottom fishing rig you already are using in a few seconds without having to re-tie your rigging . There are better bobber stops than those string models shown in the video but you must use them for those quick add on floats I mentioned here . The best bobber stops come in a VERY convienient and EXTREMELY user friendly style made by a company called Beau Mac . They come with a quick install bead and a double ended taper silicone rubber stop bead set up on an extremely light wire loop that stops the old fumble fingers syndrome where you drop the micro bead and the poor eyesight issues that plague many of use when rigging small terminal tackle . They do come in 2 sizes for smaller line and larger line but I rarely ever see the larger ones . When rigged with these floats properly they cast better than the old round clip on floats and are extremely nice to use when fishing over suspended fish . I have used them fishing as deep as 100 ft. or more in a boat and over 30 ft. when casting from shore or off of the jettys when fishing for various toothy and spiney things that prowl the oceans . Do note that when using slip floats the dropper weight must be heavy enough to get your bait down , especially if it is windy and you float size will need to be adjusted to meet the conditions in which you are fishing . The lightest float you can get away with is the best . If you are limited to a larger float increase your dropper weight so as the float barely stays above the water as the resistance felt by the fish during the bite will be at its minimal best and increase you odds of getting that fish . Did I fail to mention I love these things ? There is that kid that still lives in all of us that likes to see that bobber tart to twitch .

T.F.

Last edited: