Slacking at work means I can go fishing

J
JeannaJigs
So I discovered I only have to work two days this week (SCORE) so I'm thinkin' of hittin' up the Mac tomorrow, but I'm also open for some new water, and I just had a friend pay me back some money I loaned him, so I have extra gas funds I didn't think I'd have, so I'm thinkin' of travelin' somewheres new. Any suggestions? Did not get a chance to launch an assault on the Santiam yesterday on my way home because of some drama rama waiting at home and traffic was nuts due to sheep (seriously, OSP trooper was on foot trying to catch sheep) and car accidents, so I'm contemplating driving back up there maybe tomorrow or wednesday, I'm not sure. Ideas?

A
autofisher
If you don't want to drive as far.....

If you don't want to drive as far.....

You could always hit up the S. Santiam. There are plenty of holes on that stretch as well and it's not near as far as the North fork. I would give you suggestions, but I don't know that stretch very well at all. Heck. I'm still trying to learn the North fork. There's always the I-5 hole that we talked about too. But I wouldn't count on that one being very productive until later on this year.

L
lizardman
For the South Santiam what used to work for me (20 years ago when I lived in Albany) was to drive past Green Peter and foster resevoirs and then since the water above these two lakes is low find the old bridge pylons.

the reason for fishing by the old pylons (there aren't bridges there now but the pylons are still standing) is that there are some nice deep holes where the trout and steelhead hang out.

good fishing and don't forget your sippy cup :shock: :lol:

Dave

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah I don't know either lol. I briefly checked out the hole on the five, but some guy had his dogs swimming down there, combined with crap going on at home that was waiting for me, i said I will come back another day. Not worried about driving ten thousand miles because I have no time schedule and gas funds aren't a problemo either. I'm scurred about taking my duct taped toon down a river I am not familiar with..so I'm just gonna drive along the highway and check out different pullouts me thinks. Yeah. I don't really want to die. Just want to fish.

J
JeannaJigs
lizardman said:
good fishing and don't forget your sippy cup :shock: :lol:

HAR HAR.

I have never fished either of the rivers, so, I might just go for broke and check out both of them. Not familiar with foster or green peter, those are another couple places one of these days I need to check out.

L
lizardman
there are a couple pools (20 feet deep) by Longbow campground, and by House rock campground. Basically keep an eye on the river when you are driving east from Sweet Home, when you see a nice pool pull over and sneak up on it and wet your line.

You will want to fish the pools as the river is very low right now (I just drove through there on the 8th).

Dave

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks wrote it down, will check out those spots. Pretty stoked to fish new water. The Mac is gettin' old and it's crowded.

T
Troutier Bassier
So you were Slacking off at work so now you have to work for 2 Days?!
Jeez, Your a Genius!

Go to the North! Fish the Clackamas or Sandy or Bonneville.

M
Mike123
lizardman said:
there are a couple pools (20 feet deep) by Longbow campground, and by House rock campground. Basically keep an eye on the river when you are driving east from Sweet Home, when you see a nice pool pull over and sneak up on it and wet your line.

You will want to fish the pools as the river is very low right now (I just drove through there on the 8th).

Dave

Uhm you dont want to fish above Foster right now... All the fishing takes place from the deadline down. They release NATIVE steelhead above the dam, but they do that in the spring.

Jenna I'll PM you some info if your gonna hit the S.S.

J
JeannaJigs
Troutier Bassier said:
So you were Slacking off at work so now you have to work for 2 Days?!
Jeez, Your a Genius!

Go to the North! Fish the Clackamas or Sandy or Bonneville.

I don't know the Clack or Sandy, or even where they are located, other than North. If someone wanted to take me I'd go lol. But I don't want to go up there by my lonesome, seems like it's crowded from what I hear? and I dunno...maybe. I at least know where the santiam rivers are.

I am a professional slacker, but I am a productive slacker that worked the slacker system to my advantage. No really though, we don't have any doc's working in the office for three days this week, tomorrow, wednesday, and friday...which means my seniority paid off and I pulled rank and said heyyyy I'M OUT! the newbs can hold down the fort. It's my turn to bask in the glory of paid time off.

K
Kodiak
Go hit lower tide water on the Salmon river..coho and nooks pulling in..the santiams are slowing down, the coho aren't really in the clack or sandy yet.

J
JeannaJigs
Kodiak said:
Go hit lower tide water on the Salmon river..coho and nooks pulling in..the santiams are slowing down, the coho aren't really in the clack or sandy yet.
Mmkay, yeah I have a dumb question...where's that at? I'm at work and the google maps thing is blocked on this computer so I can't check it, haha but they haven't got wise to this site yet! thank god. and is it bank accesible? I am a bank maggot this week. (I live in Eugene, so if it's not around here I'm losttttt)

K
Kodiak
Hit salem, turn left to lincoln city. Lots of bank access, small water. I've heard of a few comming from the bridge on 101. Just before you come into lincoln city turn right onto 101 you will cross the bridge..pull over and park. fish just upstream of the bridge. It will make a 90 and the bank is alittle higher right there, the fish move in 10 to 12 ft off that bank...bobber and eggs, shrimp, herring, spinners all have thier place in the dead fish history books in that hole...Should be having some good tides so try and catch the incomming tide.

M
Mike123
Salmon River is near Lincoln City.

J
JeannaJigs
Kodiak said:
Hit salem, turn left to lincoln city. Lots of bank access, small water. I've heard of a few comming from the bridge on 101. Just before you come into lincoln city turn right onto 101 you will cross the bridge..pull over and park. fish just upstream of the bridge. It will make a 90 and the bank is alittle higher right there, the fish move in 10 to 12 ft off that bank...bobber and eggs, shrimp, herring, spinners all have thier place in the dead fish history books in that hole...Should be having some good tides so try and catch the incomming tide.

Right on, thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a go, just gotta get my hands on some fresh bait, had to throw out some home cured roe that got left in my bag (was not pretty)

J
JeannaJigs
Well I hit the upper McKenzie this morning because I haven't been up there in ages, and thought for sure I'd put one on ice, they were jumping all over the place. I had two take downs on a self tied jig, but no dice, wasn't able to set the hook before they changed their minds. Gave up around noon, and went and did some trout fishing up at Clear Lake, got skunked there too, but couldn't ask for a better day to be out fishing, perfect weather, and I did not think about the work place for even one second.

Hopefully tomorrow a salmon will die on the Salmon, gonna check it out for sure, got my hands on some fresh uncured salmon eggs, and they're sittin' in the kitchen curing, making my house smell wonderful.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
Well I hit the upper McKenzie this morning because I haven't been up there in ages, and thought for sure I'd put one on ice, they were jumping all over the place. I had two take downs on a self tied jig, but no dice, wasn't able to set the hook before they changed their minds. Gave up around noon, and went and did some trout fishing up at Clear Lake, got skunked there too, but couldn't ask for a better day to be out fishing, perfect weather, and I did not think about the work place for even one second.

Hopefully tomorrow a salmon will die on the Salmon, gonna check it out for sure, got my hands on some fresh uncured salmon eggs, and they're sittin' in the kitchen curing, making my house smell wonderful.

Sounds like a great day to me. What part of the Mac did you fish?

T
Troutier Bassier
Why is there sooo many rivers with the same name?
2 Salmon rivers,
2 Eagle Creeks.

I bet theres a Second Colombia river somewhere.

Salmon River is near Lincoln City.

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
Sounds like a great day to me. What part of the Mac did you fish?

Several spots between just before Vida up to Blue River

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Why is there sooo many rivers with the same name?
2 Salmon rivers,
2 Eagle Creeks.

I bet theres a Second Colombia river somewhere.

Theres no Colombias. Theres Columbias though. :D
River names are like people names. Your name is George. That was the name of the last president. See what Im saying?