Skunked by the Rogue

J
JeeperGal
I fished at kasey boat ramp and also at valley of the rogue this past weekend. Kasey is under fly fishing only restrictions so I tried egg patterns to no avail.

Valley of the rogue had some dead salmon so I knew I was in the right place... However, the alive ones weren't biting any of my offerings.. Spinners, eggs, jigs, yarn & corkies..

I'm new to all this so it is frustrating to not get at least a bite.

W
willierower
I think you might have had a little better luck in the Grants Pass /Merlin area. We are kind of in between on the runs right now with Salmon pretty much done and Steelhead on the middle Rogue just getting going. The rules also change Nov 1 on the upper Rogue back to bait. Don't get to down you have to put in your time and learn the rivers. I have been at it for 30 years and still get skunked at times.
Pete

H
HAMBONE
Pete

I think sometimes people tend to try and learn to much water instead of sticking to two or three drifts. A friend of ours, "RAGNAR" know his stretch so good he almost always gets into something. If you know all the spots and lanes they use, you are way ahead of most.

H;)

J
JeeperGal
HAMBONE said:
Pete

I think sometimes people tend to try and learn to much water instead of sticking to two or three drifts. A friend of ours, "RAGNAR" know his stretch so good he almost always gets into something. If you know all the spots and lanes they use, you are way ahead of most.

H;)

I think I forgot to mention it was my first time fishing the rogue :)

M
mongo
fly for upper rogue

fly for upper rogue

try using beadhead prince below a float at the bottem of a riffle

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, this time of year around GP can be good when you find spawning salmon to fish behind. A few years back it was pretty good fishing with small chunk of eggs or glow-bugs. I used to fish the same way down in Nor Cal on the Feather River. Only difference was there were thousands of Salmon spawning and lots of baby steelhead behind them. Like in the 3-5lb range but still a lot of fun.

H
HAMBONE
Wow Chad it has been years for me seeing thousands of salmon. These are tough times with all the pressure on our fish.

Its been some 15 years but the last time I fished the upper river for steelhead I found such a condition. Several dozen steelhead holding just below the redds. What a day of catch and release we had. Using nothing more than a single egg glow bug pattern with a fly rod. Great memories.;);)

H

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
the last year we lived in G P (6 yrs ago) there were thousands of nooks at the foot bridge at all sports park . total frenzy . hundreds of people tryin to catch them . so we went to griffith park and pounded them ! ! ! i miss G P .