Skunked but didn’t go home empty handed

F
Fred
I went on my first outing for steelhead this season and I saw three fish caught. A nice guy came up and asked to fish next to us. He hooked three steelhead and landed 2. He gave them to me and my friend.

• 99371318-4D3A-4D45-856B-47D34F07AD68.jpeg
Reactions: NKlamerus, Admin, C_Run and 2 others
C_Run
C_Run
Cool. I've had that happen a few times, too, and also, have given a few fish away.

Reactions: Fred
Admin
Admin
C_Run said:
Cool. I've had that happen a few times, too, and also, have given a few fish away.
the funny part that you brake law by doing that.

Reactions: Fred
hobster
hobster
Admin said:
the funny part that you brake law by doing that.
That depends on how it’s done. I once had a steelhead on the bank, hooked three other fish and handed my rod OFF to let somebody else land the fish. Reason is I wanted to keep fishing. This is totally legal

Reactions: Fred, Snopro and Admin
C_Run
C_Run
I meant handing the rod off and letting the other person tag and keep it. Also, there is a form on page 88 of the new regulations called Fish and wildlife transfer record for if you give away fish or other wildlife.

Reactions: Fred, Snopro and Admin
Admin
Admin
hobster said:
That depends on how it’s done. I once had a steelhead on the bank, hooked three other fish and handed my rod OFF to let somebody else land the fish. Reason is I wanted to keep fishing. This is totally legal
smarty )

Admin
Admin
C_Run said:
Also, there is a form on page 88 of the new regulations called Fish and wildlife transfer record for if you give away fish or other wildlife.
yeah, but who has it in a pocket? )
I was fishing once at Irish bend on the Willy for trout and caught a salmon. A guy next to me saw that I'm about to let it go and asked if I don't mind to give it to him. I said that I would gladly, but I don't have that page 88, so... He said wait a sec, and like that Bugs Bunny - one sec there and one sec back and he's next to me with that page in a hand. )

Reactions: Fred, jamisonace and C_Run
C_Run
C_Run
Sounds like I need to start fishing at Irish Bend!

• Haha
Reactions: Fred and Admin
Admin
Admin
C_Run said:
Sounds like I need to start fishing at Irish Bend!
it was once and 10 years ago )

jamisonace
jamisonace
I was wondering how long it would take for Fred's share to turn into a discussion of the legalities of sharing fish on the shore.

What Fred left out was that after completing all the necessary paperwork, the nice angler left them with two fish and a paper trail.

Sorry for this hijack but I can't resist.

My boys and I were crabbing on Winchester Bay when the Pink Fins were in thick. When we got to the dock a very sweet woman struck up a conversation with us and ended up offering us some pink fin. Of course, I took it because its absurd to think that I would be breaking a rule. The fish checker, who was busy doing what fish checkers do sniffed out that illegal act like a drug sniffing dog on the trail of Pablo Escobar. That is when I learned about page 88.

• Haha
Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
I'm a member of a Ukrainian fishing forum. And now when water is covered with ice and you can't spinning fish, but the ice is still too thin for ice fishing, I quit visiting the forum for some time. These days it's all about "you hold that fish wrong", "you caught it not a proper way", and other bs.
:LOL:

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Well, I’m always glad to hear of bs NOT instigated or perpetrated by Americans. It warms my heart to know we don’t have the market cornered on bs, it sure seems we do at times.

And for the record, you ARE holding that fish wrong.

Reactions: Fred, LazyBrewer, Admin and 1 other person
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I think I have the same cutting board, thats a nice sized fish!

Admin
Admin
NKlamerus said:
I think I have the same cutting board, thats a nice sized fish!
your cutting board size is illegal!

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
P
pcstock
I thought handing a rod to someone else to land is against the regs. Catching someone else’s bag

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pcstock said:
I thought handing a rod to someone else to land is against the regs. Catching someone else’s bag

nope, until a fish is 'landed', it hasn't been 'caught'. the fish is 'caught' (and if required tagged) by the person holding the rod when it is landed. until that moment, the rod can be passed off to as many different people as you like.

P
pcstock
So how does the general reg of "catching someone else's bag" work?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pcstock said:
So how does the general reg of "catching someone else's bag" work?

that means actually catching (landing) the fish and handing it OFF to another person and they just consider it part of their limit.

for example, someone catches (lands) a salmon that is legal for them to retain but instead of tagging it themselves (that's when it becomes part of their limit/bag), they give it to someone else and they tag it (put it in their bag). that is not allowed.

to be legal, the person that caught the salmon would need to tag it first and then give it to someone else using the form on page 88. accepting a fish from someone that legally retained it does not put it in your bag, only fish you land go into your bag (or are released).

P
pcstock
Thanks RogerD!

Reactions: rogerdodger