Skunkage...

F
FishSchooler
It's almost been a year of steelheading with no luck. I need a place, within 40 minutes from LO preferably, where there are always fish to catch... or pretty darn close to that. So many skunks, my dad is convinced that theres not a single fish and that hes not going to take me out anymore for steelhead unless I catch one. Hearing Osmosis catching 14 fish a day from the bank with a single spinner kills me... where is it to be done? Lazy dad that does not want to hike to catch fish, just limits places to go! All he wants to do is go to meldrum bar and plunk while sleeping in the car. Preferred rivers are clack and sandy. :pray::pray::pray: Please! I need to catch a steelhead! Or I may not be going steelheading anymore... :confused::(

O
osmosis
salmon and steelhead are not a guaranteed fishery, same deal for me and everyone else.
unless you find a way to fish in the hatchery tanks themselves (which is very illegal) there are skunks.

sounds like your dad is keeping you from the fish buddy. a majority of the clackamas places I fish are not exactly within sight of the car.
remembering some of your past stories - take a ziplock with toiletpaper in your tackle bag so that you can send him to the bushes instead of him making you go home after such short fishing trips!

just think 4-5 short years and you can drive yourself to any spot you want and stay as long as you want!

F
FishSchooler
Please share spots you bank fish from? :pray:
I won't be fishing for 4 weeks or so, I have a residential camp in UO... too bad I can't pack a small rod in... ;)
My dad wanted to book a trip with his collegue (guide) to catch shad... but I told him that people on "the forum" will take each other for free to have a good time, just you need to take your own stuff.
The guy that I met at riverside said it is kinda in the late part of the season for summers. What?! :think:

O
osmosis
nah we have atleast another month if not more for summers!

the closest hole to the car (easiest to give directions to) would be on park place there are a couple pull offs and the chinook are 10 ft from you and the steelhead are on the other side of the river so you have to cast pretty far for them.
take the orecon city/213 exit and head south. at the first light go left and follow that road for about 6-7 miles. when you got to a point in the road where the clackamas is right next to the road on your left - look for pulloffs on the right hand side.

Paying to catch shad isn't something i would reccomend either, good choice.

F
FishSchooler
I think the only way I could cast a spinner across is adding weight, which would ruin some of the action. At riverside, I could cast maybe half way across, maybe a little more, with a 1/8 oz body with a No. 5 or 6 nickel blade. The guy I talked to (he said he has hooked 27 summer steelhead so far this year) had a weight, and could cast all the way across. I don't need a hole close to a car (we have hiked the cedar creek trail with all my gear), I just need a not-so-far-from-home hole that has fish. A hike like riverside is fine, as long as there is fish to be caught.

F
FishSchooler
Wait, is the place you are talking about right across from Carver?

O
osmosis
jeez just 27 sounds like he's having a bad year no wonder he told you it was over.
the place I was talking about is several miles downstream of carver.

F
FishSchooler
Worse thing is... my dad believed him... :rolleyes:

Is it across/a little below the Sah-Hah-Lee Golf Course?

O
osmosis
yep thats the spot.

Tell your dad he was mistaken. a lot of the locals like to play "misdirection" games to help there be less fishermen on the water.

F
FishSchooler
He still want's to go trout fishing next time... :rolleyes:

Is there an exact place? There is a really really good piece of water, but it looks inaccessable by foot due to a very steep bank covered in trees/bushes.
If you go to local.live.com, look for the sah hah lee gold course, then there will be a power line going across the river. Hit bird's eye view and you'll see it. There is a long part of accessible rocks right by some really choppy water.
Thanks for all the help Osmo, you are really helping me get one.

O
osmosis
imediately below the powerline is a decent chinook spot. they are all the way up the bank on that side until just below the rapid you are talking about. then about 100 ft above the rapid they slow back down to rest again.
When I fish there I often pick a side either all the way at the top of the upper hole, or at the bottom of the lower one and work my way towards the other end as I fish.

F
FishSchooler
Woops, theres three powerlines, but the one I mentioned was the one with three wires close to each other, which is right above the really choppy water.
10 feet from the bank... drift spinners? Oh yeah, I have a box full of No. 6 and No. 7 GDFs to use... should I use the GDFs or toss the bear valley blades that I showed earlier? For nookers, all I basically have are spinners and really really mushy (possibly rotten) eggs, unless I can use potskes balls o fire or powereggs.
And my casting rod doesn't work well for drifting or tossing spinners without added weight. Would a 7' rod rated 8-14 with 12 lb line work?

Y
youngbuck307
im not osmo but i know the water has been on the drop for a while now and is getting kinda low and clear i would run a #4!!! And i have never seen a rod that wont work.... might be better to have something with a lil more backbone if you get into a monstor but i would say you will be more than fine with the 12lb line on there bet you could evan run 10 and be just fine

F
FishSchooler
4 lb for springers?

I forgot... will springers still be strong here in 4 weeks?

Y
youngbuck307
lol no a number 4 spinner i would run 10lb line

F
FishSchooler
Oh hahaha, then I'll toss my other spinners that I twisted.

M
metalmania
FishSchooler said:
Woops, theres three powerlines, but the one I mentioned was the one with three wires close to each other, which is right above the really choppy water.
10 feet from the bank... drift spinners? Oh yeah, I have a box full of No. 6 and No. 7 GDFs to use... should I use the GDFs or toss the bear valley blades that I showed earlier? For nookers, all I basically have are spinners and really really mushy (possibly rotten) eggs, unless I can use potskes balls o fire or powereggs.
And my casting rod doesn't work well for drifting or tossing spinners without added weight. Would a 7' rod rated 8-14 with 12 lb line work?

Lately most of the spinners i've been chucking are 3's, and some 4's, but the 4's are mostly dark. I do have one spot that is consistently putting out fish with bright brass and pink no.4's even during mid-day, but it's deep and only holds springers. 10lb is ideal, and i've mostly been using 8. Those 6's and 7's are way too big, may as well just tie on a rock and cast it. Stay away from nickel blades. On my 4's I run brass in the late evening and black oxide or water stained during the day. For 3's I use black oxide, green and some pink and black, as well as a million other variations.

Y
youngbuck307
o see i havent been on the river for last few weeks.... water must be getting low and clear than!!!!! man BC needs to get some more #3 or #4 evan they have none...

M
metalmania
youngbuck307 said:
o see i havent been on the river for last few weeks.... water must be getting low and clear than!!!!! man BC needs to get some more #3 or #4 evan they have none...

Last time I was in there they were out of just about everything I needed. And ya the water has dropped a lot in the last 2 weeks.

Y
youngbuck307
I love that lil place he just so doesn't have what you need when you need it... really sucks i bet he would make way more money if he would keep the shelfs full...