Sizing recommendations

Foolinatube

I have a pair of hodgman caster 3.5mm neoprene stocking foot waders that keep me warm and dry in my float tube. Do I need to buy wading boots or shoes to wear fine with them? I don't want to wear them to the store to try on shoes. How many sizes should I go up? Do I even need shoes, or can I just throw some fins on over bare wader? I wore just the waders the first time I went out, but that was super uncomfortable getting in and out of the water.

pinstriper

I have a pair of hodgman caster 3.5mm neoprene stocking foot waders that keep me warm and dry in my float tube. Do I need to buy wading boots or shoes to wear fine with them? I don't want to wear them to the store to try on shoes. How many sizes should I go up? Do I even need shoes, or can I just throw some fins on over bare wader? I wore just the waders the first time I went out, but that was super uncomfortable getting in and out of the water.
Yes, stockingfoot waders are intended to be worn under wading boots. Take your waders with you to the store, put them on there while trying boots for fit.

Can’t answer the fin question as I am not a float tuber.

Artwo

In general, 1 size larger than your shoe size will work. If you don't intend on doing any wading, rather just using them when you're in your float tube, a pair of high top tennis shoes would work just fine. If you go this route, Goodwill is a good cheap resource......

pinstriper

It depends mow many sizes up you had to go to get your fat butt into the waders, then the feet are that much bigger and you have extra neoprene to stow in the toe of your boot. I’m not calling anyone fat, just saying my street shoes are 10.5’s and my wading boots are 13’s (!!!)

troutdude

Don't wear your waders again, without SOMETHING to cover your feet. Otherwise you risk tearing, and expensively replacing, your waders.

I use a pair of zip up boots that I think can also be found at diving shops. I don't wade in them; while working a stream from the shore. I only use them when out in my tube. Then put flippers on over those booties.

TheKnigit

For several years I just wore whatever old worn out shoes I happened to have laying around. Everything from running shoes, to skate shoes, to an old pair of dress shoes. Old shoes are typically stretched out enough that they will fit over the stocking. I ended up buying a pair of rubber boots in 1 size larger at one point, and then switching to a pair of muck boots. They are a lot easier for me to slip on and off of the waders. You definitely need something over the stockings though.

Foolinatube

Thanks for all the advice folks. Got a pair of water socks at big5 to hold me over until I can get some of those dive booties. Spending on fishing gear has currently been curtailed by the SO. Next week maybe.

Rockitout

If your looking just for a float tube, flippers over you neoprene is all that you need. Flippers that have at strap around the heal work best. No need to wear shoes then flippers. They make a flipper that fits a boot/shoe, but the flipper length is short and very stiff. I don't like them, as it limits the kick action at the ankle.

Typically float tube fishing, I walk to the shore in a pair of flip flops, to protect my wader socks, put my flippers on at the shore, walk backwards into the water, and call it good. It's also good to know if your flippers float or sink.

If your hiking a lot, or in rivers I recommend at good boot over your sock foot waders. And, make sure you try the boots on with the waders. Nothing worse then spending the day in a pair of boots too small, or having your feet slide around with too much room.