Siuslaw update...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
a couple of new things that people will notice next time there are here:

the 101 bridge at Florence now has 4 permanent "5 mph/No Wake" buoys, 2 of them on each side of the center gap which is marked with large orange "Boat Channel" signs. the buoys are about 50 yards back from the bridge on both sides so they create about a 100 yard 5 mph zone for all boats passing under the bridge.

the pilings are in the river for the floating restroom that will be just upstream from the main launch, where there is a gap in the trees on the south side. For those familiar with the fall salmon fishing, it is right where most people turn around to troll back upstream towards the green 29 marker, a great location in my opinion (boats coming upstream to use it will not impact the boats trolling up from it and boats coming downstream, whether stopping at it or not, will use it as a common turn around location). cheers, roger

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Good!! So i hope that means that the large guide boats will slow it down

K
kwikfisher
Hey Roger!
Is Crabbing on the Siuslaw worthwhile at this time of year?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
Hey Roger!
Is Crabbing on the Siuslaw worthwhile at this time of year?

no, we saw the new stuff on the Slaw while giving our PB it's first outing of the year and using that as an excuse to check crab from the CG station down to A4 bouy, using excellent bait (rock fish carcasses). just several small crabs per pot, no large females, one male about 1/8" too small, that is it.

I think this is a normal year for the Siuslaw, with lots of rain, which means good crabbing hopefully in June...cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
K
kwikfisher
Thanks, kinda what I thought....Starting to make ready my boat, antsy I guess

S
SteveO
New to the Florence area and I was just wondering how long you usually soak crab pots on the Siuslaw for. Also I have a 14' Alumacraft with a 6 horse motor. How safe am I on the river with this? Any help is welcome.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteveO said:
New to the Florence area and I was just wondering how long you usually soak crab pots on the Siuslaw for. Also I have a 14' Alumacraft with a 6 horse motor. How safe am I on the river with this? Any help is welcome.

you should have no problems if you pay attention to the tides and weather (especially wind). have you located the big Port boat launch and how familiar are you with the river (from launch to ocean)? that info will help me provide some crabbing tips...cheers, roger

S
SteveO
Thanks Roger. I do know where the boat launch is and am a little familiar with that stretch. Any tips are appreciated and thanks again.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
each year is different but normally the crabbing picks up through June and is good July-October, eventually the rain pushes the crabs down to the ocean and the good crabbing is limited to the ocean or very close to it...from ocean to Florence Launch, the river is basically: jaws, A4-A6-A7 bouys, Crabbing dock on south side, Coast Guard station, Rhody drive rock wall, Red marker Wing Dams (line of wood pilings with a Red channel marker on the tall end one), Dunes, 101 bridge, Old Town/Marina/Launch, 29 marker (just up from the launch where the river turns and N.Fork comes in)....you will have all these locations figured out real quick once you get crabbing and especially if you do any chinook fishing this fall.

with your boat, I would be careful to not get caught down near the ocean (past the CG station) on a day when the tide is working against you and the wind is coming up over about 10mph. the normal NW wind will actually help you heading back to the launch but a strong outgoing tide would make having a problem with your outboard a pain. Do you have an electric trolling motor? (might not get you back to the launch against the tide but safely to shore if your main dies) Marine walkie talkie is a great thing to have also, I just consider that a must have so I can hear CG updates on conditions and communicate with them (or other boats) if needed.

I have not heard any recent crabbing reports but early-June, I would still be crabbing down low, just OFF the CG station is a great stretch, also down from the Crabbing dock to the green A7 bouy. most the good areas are around 20' of water, some down to 30'...by July we would expect good crabbing all along the long stretch where the Red wing dams are, between the wing dams and also across the river. Most years this is a great area from July through September, crabbing near the 101 bridge and OFF Old Town Florence is usually decent those months also but it varies year-to-year and normally, you are going to get more big keepers down lower in the river but is usually isn't necessary to go much lower then the CG station to get into good crabs...

for any sort of crab trap or pot, I like to get 30 minutes soak minimum, longer better unless the river is just full of crab. Rings need to be checked more often and one or two of these can be helpful to test areas quickly before giving a trap a long soak...

PM me if you have questions about specific locations or anything else...cheers, roger

S
SteveO
Thanks again for the help Roger. Very much appreciated. I am sure that I will have many more questions for you soon. Hope to see you on the water somewhere. Fish on!

S
SteveO
One more question. I did some steelhead fishing on the river last year which was pretty good. What other fish can you hit in the river other than steelhead and salmon? How is the cutthroat fishing? Shad run? Striped bass? Rockfish? I guess that was more than one question.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteveO said:
One more question. I did some steelhead fishing on the river last year which was pretty good. What other fish can you hit in the river other than steelhead and salmon? How is the cutthroat fishing? Shad run? Striped bass? Rockfish? I guess that was more than one question.

I have tried and not had any success bottom fishing down low in the Siuslaw, I get rocks and lings in Coos Bay and the ocean out of Sunset Bay.

SRC are successfully targeted by lots of folks in the Slaw, also in the N. Fork, but I have not targeted them in the river.

we should start getting crabbing reports soon, I need to get out soon and start using up my freezer full of BRF carcasses....:D