Siuslaw/Umpqua sturgeon

F
Fish a holic
I'm interested in learning how to fish for sturgeon on the Siuslaw and or Umpqua. Any pointers on the when, where and how? I'd really like to take my kids so even shakers would be fun for them, with an occasional keeper would be great. I don't really want to get into over sized.

Trying to avoid the Portland trip from Eugene.

Last edited by a moderator:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Man, not pointers, except check the hole down from 101 in Reedsport on the first big right hand bend had sturgeon of all sizes going nuts during salmon season.

I did see a lot of over sized critters, but seen several in the keeper eye-ball status. Its always a bit unnerving to see giant sturgeon porpusing.

F
Fish a holic
Yeah I saw them in there, Siuslaw has a few spot like that to. Maybe I should hire a guide to get some pointers from. Any suggestions?

R
RunWithSasquatch
I dont know any guides down there, but there are a lot of savvy members that I am sure will pitch in. A guide would be an excellent idea though!

As far as DIY sturgeon fishing is pretty straight forward, and generic usually across the board on which ever water body you fish. Usually the same baits all preform. Just finding a hole you know the houses the beasts is what you need, and then drop your gear down, and keep it still.

Looks like December-Jaunary- spring is good fishing down there from what I have read.

Sandshrimp, herring, shad, you name it.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
ive heard sandshrimp or squid does the trick in salt water but there are lots of small fish,crabs etc (bait stealers) so bring plenty of whatever you are using!

K
Kevinb5688
Fish a holic said:
Yeah I saw them in there, Siuslaw has a few spot like that to. Maybe I should hire a guide to get some pointers from. Any suggestions?

I fished with guide charlie foster of nwsturgeon adventured. Check him out online. He is a really nice guy with 25 years of now how. He is one of the best guides ive come across. But he only fishes the willamette and coulmbia.

F
Fish a holic
I called BoB Cobb on the Umpqua he basicly told me the fishin down here has been real tough. He recommended I head north

H
hawgcaller
went with todd hannah a few years back, we caught 4 shakers, 1 was a white that was 1 inch to small, 2 were greens that were 1 or 2 inches to small. The other was the smallest white he had ever seen, it was like 20 in. lol
We went right up from the old weyerhauser plant.

J
jawjacker
2 were greens that were 1 or 2 inches to small
You can't keep green's smart guy so it doesn't matter how small they were. Lol! What I thought was funny about that trip was how Todd insisted on setting the hook for us because it was supposed to be difficult. Watching him whiff it all morning only to finally give in and let us have a go and that's when we started catching fish. To bad it was at the save some face shaker hole.

F
Fish a holic
Hope you guys gave Todd a hard time.Lol How far up from the mill?

J
jawjacker
Hope you guys gave Todd a hard time
O we did. He's a great guy I'd definitely go with him again it was just one of those days. He even gave us a half off trip & some $50 coupons but we got caught up in the rigors of life & never made it back out. We targeted the big boys on the East side of the channle on a mud flat by one of the markers I think it was 12 but that could be way off. Then we crossed the river and went up to the big bend and fished infront of some cliffs for those shakers. I wish I could be more specific but it was several years ago. I don't remember what the tides were doing or half the good stuff he said. I think it might be time to book another trip.

F
Fish a holic
Thanks for the intel, I know about where you guys were. Might try it or just hire a guide like Todd to show me the ropes.

C
CoastieFlo
Hey if you guys are thinking of a trip, I might be interested also......maybe even my wife if I can swing the extra $ for her......let me know.