Siuslaw this weekend?

J
JeannaJigs
Thinkin' of bankin' it on Sunday, but...I'm not sure it's worth it at this point. Is anyone familiar with the "tracks" hole? (Below Swisshome. It's the best bank access point for salmon fishing that I know of on this river). I'm just wondering if there's even a remote chance of anything other than a sucker fish hanging out in the depths of that hole, as I'm not even sure the fish could get above the flats at Brickerville at this point or not, if not, well, that answers that question! I wasn't here last weekend, so I don't know how much rain the area got, didn't get much in central oregon. Not many people on here fish this river from the bank :( makes me sad (but glad at the same time). If nothing else, it will give me the oppurtunity to launch a machete assault on the blackberries that have no doubt taken over some of my usual trails, in prep for the winter fish. If my pontoon wasn't dead again, I'd take it out near cushman. Haha would be exciting to get into a fall 'nook from that thing. Too bad it's just a fleeting thought. So if anyone knows the river levels, let me know!

C
cobias
the slaw

the slaw

PM sent.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh NOOOOO!

Oh NOOOOO!

JeannaJigs;
Oh no,you kilt your toon again?! :doh::wall: Wha hoppent? :think: You ran out of duct tape already...where the heck is GraphiteZen when a gal needs him anyway?:lol: Sorry to hear it,I know how much you love that lil thing.

J
JeannaJigs
Raincatcher said:
JeannaJigs;
Oh no,you kilt your toon again?! :doh::wall: Wha hoppent? :think: You ran out of duct tape already...where the heck is GraphiteZen when a gal needs him anyway?:lol: Sorry to hear it,I know how much you love that lil thing.
I did :( Took it out this last weekend and noticed the OTHER one going. Took the bladder out and investigated, and found ANOTHER seam failure, almost identical to the other one, only much larger, and there are two of them! I figure I've had it for so many years, and I've gotten a lot of use out of it, and it's just old and tired. :( I'm going to be getting a drift boat this winter, so I think I'm just going to retire her :( Might take her out of retirement by buying a set of new bladders and keeping it around for a high lakes back pack moments because that's what it's perfect for really. In the mean time, Jeanna is mourning the loss and is sad. Very, very sad.

Q
qwapaw
Well here it is Monday and I can't wait to get your report. How did it go on the Siuslaw? Dan

J
JeannaJigs
My report is that I have nothing to report. Lol. Ended up working Saturday, and had to help a co-worker on Sunday. I did make it over to swisshome, but did not pursue salmon. However, it was a good reconaissance mission. Every trail I use for winter steelhead on the upper Siuslaw was madly overgrown so I performed an all out machete assault and cleared some overgrowth. It was good to see the river level however, I now know there is no hope for any "upper" river fishing until we get about 6 inches of rain. Or more. Very low. Fishing the tidewater from the bank is a no-go, so that's not gonna happen. So I'm left with nothing to do but pray for rain to push the fish up to the bank acccess. Once again the river is closed for fishing above the confluence of lake creek, and lake creek itself is closed, so it's pretty limited if you don't have a boat. Thank you snaggers for messing it up for the rest of us.

I did take my fly rod and tossed a few flies, and hooked up with a couple cutties on lake creek, so the day wasn't a total loss.

Is it November yet?

T
Thuggin4Life
I might have a slightly better report. Wait for it sometime today...

S
steelhead_stalkers
There is bank fishing access upriver of mapleton!

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_stalkers said:
There is bank fishing access upriver of mapleton!

Yes there is but the river is very low and the non private property acess points are predominately above the flats, and the fish aren't up there yet. The river is a trickle!

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
I might have a slightly better report. Wait for it sometime today...
Not fair!

Q
qwapaw
There is a spot West of Sweet Creek, that I have seen many Chinook landed. I believe you may have to part Billy Goat to get there, or there is a way I don't see from the river, but one year I know I saw 6 Big fish laned there. There is room for 2 people to bobber fish and that is what they were doing. I also think a person could catch a chinook from the public dock at Mapleton. I hook a couple in that area before there was a dock there and Just west on an outgoing tide you could fish the pilings. Just a couple of thoughts. I hope to fish that dock sometime this season. Good luck, Dan

T
Thunderfoot
I'm an old rokie where should I fish

I'm an old rokie where should I fish

If I bring my boat down to do some trolling below Mapleton to the ocean where would be the hottests spot? From Cushman down stream or up? This will be Saturday so rain will not help me.
I'm new to trolling for salmon so what the best bait? Is this trolled bouncing along the bottom and will I need a downrigger?

Thank you