Siuslaw sturgeon

N
nwdunerider
About 10 years ago my cousin caught an oversize one from the side of Hwy 126 right on the 5 mile marker ( thats above cushman right where the river comes back to the hwy. )

R
rippin fish lips
Couple years ago, 2009 or 2010, something like that. Trolling through cushman, bout to go under the bridge. Next thing we see is an over sizer Greenie Jump about 10 feet from us. Whole entire fish was out of the water and let me tell you this... It was FOR SURE all of 8 feet Long. Believe it or not. Huge ass fish. I would say, fish any deep hole you come across on that system. Being as small as it is, im sure any hole pushing 30-50 feet deep may be holding something. You might try anchoring on a shelf right before it drops into the deep pool and plunk right on the end of the shelf at its deepest points. Use the tides as your guides as the fish will probably be nosing into different holes on out going and incoming tides. I would Probably use something along the lines of Shad, Herring, sardines or nightcrawlers for bait?

M
mikeybfshn
I've caught plenty of sturgeon on the Slaw, Umpqua, Coos Bay, Tillamook even the Rogue. They are common in all of our Coastal tide waters. Once a sturgeon fisherman makes a few trips to the Columbia it's hard to justify the investment here on the South Coast. I've heard many Sturgeon guides say that you can spend days down here trying to catch one or two, or a couple hours on I-5 to to catch a dozen. The bottom line is that the Columbia and even the Willamette sturgeon fishery is REALLY hard to beat!
They can be caught in any bay on the Oregon Coast. Keeping in mind that a keeper fishery no longer exist! ***The Southwest Zone is now CLOSED to retention of all sturgeon*** Per 2015 ODFW Regs.
Fishing the edges of large shallow flats, (avoid deep holes) early spring, late fall. Sand shrimp or ghost shrimp are usually best baits, switching and mixing them with the other common sturgeon baits is never a bad idea, when trying to pattern a sturgeon fishery, have plenty of bait. The hardest part about fishing them here is the "dam crabs" will take your bait before the sturgeon can get to it. For this reason fishing bays after a high water flush is highly recommended.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

M
mikeybfshn
North Fork Hole

North Fork Hole

That flat in front of the North Fork and along the South Side of the river up form the 101.