Siuslaw sleigh ride...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
well almost, hooked up solid and thought I might be going for my first chinook kayak ride but turned out to be a 23.5" jack, nothing easy about netting this feisty boy fresh from the ocean but in the end, there is blood on my yak and it is not mine!

I had another on 10min later but just as I started fighting it, came unbuttoned, felt like another jack but you never know...cheers, roger

C_Run
C_Run
Real nice, Roger. Score one for the kayak!

G
grampa ron
Nice catch. What were you using? Where were when you got it?

E
eugene1
Right on!

Unclipped this time.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
grampa ron said:
Nice catch. What were you using? Where were when you got it?

I got it on one of the smaller (green size) herring whole that I had spinning real tight like a drill, no flasher, outgoing tide near the 29 marker.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Awesome! Did you notice all the coho? We hooked three yesterday but no nooks.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
rogerdodger said:
I got it on one of the smaller (green size) herring whole that I had spinning real tight like a drill, no flasher, outgoing tide near the 29 marker.

That is exactly how I fish my green label herring, too: no flasher, whole. I stick half a toothpick in them to bend the head so they spin. Nice job on taking down a fish on the yak!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
Awesome! Did you notice all the coho? We hooked three yesterday but no nooks.

Yes, Coho are jumping here and there. thought we had hooked a Coho three times now but all three have ended up being Chinooks (2 Jacks and a Jumbo Jack)... love seeing those big black spots along the upper half!... cheers, roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I did find using our big 'Chinook' net on the kayak was much more difficult than my slightly smaller 'Coho' net. Going to switch back and use that net from the kayak going forward...

1 nut in the water
Holy cow Roger I had better get over there before you clean the river out! How was the weekend crowd? Heading over sometime this week.......

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
1 nut in the water said:
Holy cow Roger I had better get over there before you clean the river out! How was the weekend crowd? Heading over sometime this week.......

It was really busy during the last half of the incoming tide and through high slack, from 101 bridge to RR bridge, then about 2 hours into the outgoing (2pm Sunday) it had mostly cleared out and wind was light, there were maybe 3 boats around the 29 marker while I was getting my fish into the net...

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Seen you out there yesterday on my way to work, gave you a honk.

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
I quit using flashers last year. In my opinion they are more trouble than they are worth. When your line tangles trolling plugcut herring they only make things worse. I feel that by not running them I reduce the number and severity of my tangles. I don’t know about everyone else but for some reason most of my tangles occur during the bite…

G
grampa ron
Markk, Your right. I have never used flashers and have boated a lot of Salmon.