Siuslaw Salmon question

L
luddite
Anyone know at what water level the fish start moving out of the tidewater and into the river proper? Right now it is @ 3.5'

Thanks

J
JeannaJigs
Don't hold me to it, but I want to say 5... They can't pass above the flats at brickerville as of now, it's a trickle.

C
crusty old fisherman
yeah 5 to 5.5 they will start movin its better when it hits 7.5 or higher then starts to drop. be sure to remember ODFW finally pulled their heads out of their arses and closed everything above where the siuslaw and lake creek join.

I never really seen the sense in all the killing of black tires that went on above that point anyway.

D
Damon79
There is actually fish as far up river as the bottom of the horn right now.. It only takes a few inches of water for a 40# fish to get through some place. This rain should push a bunch of fish up into the lower river in the next few days. The river is up about 4" today alone.. Find the deep holes and pockets, there will be fish there. If you hear of anyone catching fish at Mapleton, you can guarantee there is fish up river. There have been several fish caught with bobber and eggs at Mapelton lately, so go fishing. You can't eat them if you dont go get them. Good luck and tight lines.

L
luddite
Thanks for the info, where is "The Horn"?

C
cobias
move

move

they can and will move through the smallest of trickles....i went with my friend nathan a few years back looking for cutts in early sept and he caught a 40lb chromer on a spinner and 8lb test. I know the rain will pull more fish out of the ocean and into upper tidewater for sure. Bobber fishing tomorrow...

D
Damon79
luddite said:
Thanks for the info, where is "The Horn"?
The horn is a large set of rapids just above Stagecoach road about 1/2 mile. One of only two places on the river I would consider NOT FLOATABLE in a drift boat...... The other one is Tilton rapids up Stage coach road. It would be a feat for a fish to get up the Horn right now, but certainly not impossible. I should have went to the river today to float some eggs through some of my favorite holes..