Rivers Siuslaw River Fishing Reports

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
First pass, 15# coho, Troutmasta knows what we caught it on...

Siuslaw River Fishing Reports

T
troutmasta
You are killing me

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutmasta said:
You are killing me
Sorry man, I put an 8# coho in the net the next pass...hunting kings now.

R
Rytelrev
And I am now done. Took a 31" 9# Coho from the same spot. I hope to hook into some kings now. Little bummed that Coho fishing went so fast. ;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Rytelrev said:
And I am now done. Took a 31" 9# Coho from the same spot. I hope to hook into some kings now. Little bummed that Coho fishing went so fast. ;)

Outstanding, any pictures? What did you get it on?

Sitcoos opens Oct.1, you could potentially tag 3 more there to reach your total of 5, and there are some places along the river to toss spinners for coho, just remember fishing is closed below (west) of the 101 bridge.

R
Rytelrev
No picture this time. Caught on a pink and yellow hoochie bell from Deans shop. Caught 2 more cohos today at the wall on the same lure. Put them back of course. First was a jack and second was about 27".

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Rytelrev said:
No picture this time. Caught on a pink and yellow hoochie bell from Deans shop. Caught 2 more cohos today at the wall on the same lure. Put them back of course. First was a jack and second was about 27".

excellent. my understanding of the wild coho rules, not confirmed specifically with a trooper or ODFW yet but my interpretation (as a trained ODFW Angling Instructor), is that you could have kept the jack but were correct to release the adult.

This is because you were legally fishing for salmon (had not retained a limit today or totally filled your combined angling tag) which means you are allowed to retain jacks or trout (NW zone rules).

The Coastal Wild Coho rules instruct that you can retain 1 adult and 1 jack daily but tag a total of only 2 adults from the Siuslaw. They do not provide any instructions that I can find on whether you can retain the 1 jack per day after tagging your 2 adults, so we defer back- first layer, the special regulations for the Siuslaw (nothing on this here) then next layer- zone rules (allow jack and trout retention until you retain a daily limit for salmon), so I believe you can retain 1 wild coho jack per day during the open season for wild coastal coho while legally fishing for salmon. cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
Can you retain 2 adults and 1 jack?
And you can't continue fishing for a jack after retaining 2 adults.
Thanks
Mark

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:
Can you retain 2 adults and 1 jack?
And you can't continue fishing for a jack after retaining 2 adults.
Thanks
Mark

yes. big picture, under the NW zone regs, you can retain 2 adults and 5 jacks per day. But "4. Anglers may not continue to angle for jack salmon or trout after retaining a limit of adult salmon or steelhead". so once 2 adults are on your tag, no more fishing for any salmon or trout until 'first legal' the following day.

moving to species, the Coastal Wild Coho rules are 1 adult and 1 jack per day. So still following the rules above, out of all the fish your retain, only 1 adult and 1 jack can be a wild coho. anything else retained must be a jack chinook (wild or hatchery), adult chinook (wild or hatchery) or a hatchery coho (adult or jack).

cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
Thanks!

G
Goat
I live up near portland and want to come check out the siuslaw but I don't have a boat. How is the bank access and are there fish far enough up river to catch from the bank. Most the rivers in my area are so low right now it's impossible for the fish to get out of the mouth.

R
Rytelrev
I am only fishing from the bank right now and have landed 5 coho and have seen a few kings landed as well. If you head west on the road by riteaid then take a left at the end of that road you will see the bank fishermen a little ways up that road. Or you can put humane society in your gps and it will take you right there as well.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Goat said:
I live up near portland and want to come check out the siuslaw but I don't have a boat. How is the bank access and are there fish far enough up river to catch from the bank. Most the rivers in my area are so low right now it's impossible for the fish to get out of the mouth.

Rytelrev is correct, that bank fishing stretch is opposite the Humane Society and Landfill Transfer Station and is only a mile or so in from the ocean, it is a long stretch of rocks and bank, plenty of room for lots and lots of people to fish....this is definitely tidewater fishing and the tides will impact the best times to fish there....there is also bank access off the North and South rock jetties right at the ocean, we see people down there tossing spinners in the jaws targeting fresh chinooks and coho coming in..important there to get those spinners deep and also avoid hitting the boats trolling the jaws :D....cheers, roger

G
Goat
Thanks rogerdodger and rytelrev. Appreciate the help. I'll post pics if I get lucky.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Today was my 8th trip out! 3 weeks ago the water was 70F today down by the Wall it was 53 and 60F at The Dairy Hole! Fishing is getting better daily 1/2 fish per rod I would say. Lost one to a seal today above Cushman. Fish are being caught above the Dairy Hole and Cushman and a lot more boats out!

Reactions: bd2cool, troutdude and Markk
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fished today no love saw a gal lose one at the barge hole! The launch ramp was fun almost saw a guide in a fist fight over a guy cutting in line! Fish are there but not chewing yet!

Reactions: bd2cool and Markk
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
0 fo2 today lost one OFF Greentrees on a K16 then went up to Cushman put on NC Chartreuse spinner and got slammed! Nook peeled 30 yards OFF then went airborn 5 feet in the air and spit it! 20 lb hookjaw! My luck has to change!

Reactions: Utahutes and bd2cool
U
Utahutes
GaryP1958 said:
0 fo2 today lost one OFF Greentrees on a K16 then went up to Cushman put on NC Chartreuse spinner and got slammed! Nook peeled 30 yards OFF then went airborn 5 feet in the air and spit it! 20 lb hookjaw! My luck has to change!
What's NC stand for brand is your spinner?

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Does anybody know if there's fish above Elkton? I don't have a boat so bank fishing is my only hope. Thanks!

jamisonace
jamisonace
maxwyatt said:
Does anybody know if there's fish above Elkton? I don't have a boat so bank fishing is my only hope. Thanks!
Yes, they’ve been above Elkton for weeks. Fishing is pretty slow however.

Top Bottom