Siuslaw River fishing

K
killigan
The river is on the rise and over the predicted levels. It will be interesting to see what the fish do. I have heard a few reports already of fish farther up the system then I would have expected at this time. Tight lines!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I see we have a big wet storm coming next week, that is when I am expecting the Siltcoos dam might open.

As for the Siuslaw, I was up Lake Creek on Tuesday fishing for SRC and there were some dark chinooks rolling all the way to where Indian Creek comes in (Note: Lake Creek is open for trout but not chinook fishing now, the Siuslaw is open to Lake Creek for chinook)....cheers, roger

F
Fortheboys
Would like to hear some reports this week planning on hitting the river at Cushman on sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: playhooky
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I will be launching at Mapleton tomorrow also a side note I work at Safeway and I ask fishermen whats up and the Coho are thick in tidewater now, just waiting for Siltcoos I bet this year will be decent!

D
Dustin0718
i went out a few weeks ago with a guide on the slaw and the Coho catch outweighed the chinook by a bit. i guess thats been typical with cut plug trolling this year. Ill be taking my chances in the flowing portion of the siuslaw this morning above mapleton, to see if this last burst of rain was enough to pull some fish upstream! friend of mine went wednesday morning and caught 2 jacks and 1 adult all chrome by swisshome.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Guides reporting lots of coho C&R going on in the tidewater now, lots of chinook upriver towards Mapleton now after the recent rain...

Reactions: bd2cool
B
bd2cool
Which boat ramp are you guys using?

D
Dustin0718
Yes lots of coho, indeed. even up in the main river. I fished for about four hours this morning and managed to land 2 nearly identical coho above brickerville(?) in the main water above tide water. I got goosed with chinook, but two people on either side of me each caught one chinook, and another guy just down stream limited in about four hours. seen quite a few rolls while there as well.

IT's a damn shame i had to release those fish, though. So many coho you would think they would update the regs to allow retention for a few days.

IMG_0021.JPG

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Bobber and eggs?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice fish and nice job handling it well, I have an update from down river to post, there are not a bunch of coho jumping like normal, some getting C&Red down low but not a normal big run, could be the only big surge of coho is already upriver and there aren't many more to come...my chinook report, boo yah, will be posted soon...

hobster
hobster
Sounds good Roger, I have a feeling your report will be positive :thumb:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
in general, my feeling based on what I have heard and seen is that right now the best fishing is from the RR bridge upriver to Mapleton, with it switching from trolling herring to B&Eggs at about the C&D Dock. I also heard some chinook being caught in the lower river today, along with mine up from the Rhody Wall, so some new fish coming in, just not sure if it is lots for just a few...the word around Florence is everyone is working for their chinook this year and doing their best to handle the occasional coho as gentle as possible...cheers, roger

Reactions: bd2cool
D
Dustin0718
GaryP1958;n599215 said:
Bobber and eggs?

Yes that would be bobber and eggs

hobster
hobster
Hit the river today with Brandon ( Killigan) to search for some nookie. I have only fished for salmon a handful of times (I love the steelhead!) and have never bank fished with bobber and eggs for chinook. Brandon was kind enough to show me a few spots and helped me out with a few pointers on how to catch em. It was a slow day overall, we only saw a few hooked and landed. "Shoulda been here yesterday" was the common theme. :D We heard from a few people it was pretty hot yesterday......oh well. Brandon did get a big buck which was awesome to see, we didn't have a net and once landed the fish got back in the water (hook was out) but swam the wrong way and ended up in a shallow hole. He was pretty worn out by then, Brandon missed him and he swam right toward me with the river and freedom a few feet away but I was able to tail him. It was pretty cool. It rained all day so maybe there was a slow rise and the bite turned OFF. Nice big buck, a little dark but the meat was good for the smoker. Weighed in at 24 lbs. after being bled and gutted. Thanks Brandon!

IMG_0315 (1).JPG

Reactions: Dustin0718
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, that is not even close to being an "old boot"...I had a feeling lots of the early nooks were upriver; word today is there were new fish moving in from the ocean, some were really big coho but more fresh chinook should be coming up the lower river also...

D
Dustin0718
Yesterday was indeed a good day, however I did much better today in terms of chinook (didn't keep any, however). Caught and landed three, all bucks, all in full spawn form(which is why I released them). The third one I caught actually jumped out of my net that was still half in water while reaching for a rock to knock his head. Planned on keeping him but oh well. still a blast to catch! I also hooked and lost a nice coho hen at the shore far into its spawn colors, and landed a random SRC as well.

Ill note that that I think my first two chinooks may have been the same fish caught twice, looked identical and caught from the same slot within 10 minutes of each other.

Overall good fishing, just bad luck handling the fish (and losing 4 bobber floats to snags).

This again was above brickerville at the pull off by the railroad bridge. Probably 5-6 miles up river. Hopefully we get some fresh ones for Lake creek next weekend!

K
killigan
Great picture Eric! This is the ugliest beast I have ever pulled out of the water. Next time we will get you into one! Went out trolling herring today out by the tips of the jetty, had a good take down that didn't stick. All in all the weather was great and the water was fairly calm.

Reactions: oh2fish
B
bd2cool
No love for us-three rods and only one take down. Troll RR bridge upriver to C&D docks and back. Saw only one one but the guy lost it at the his boat and hear of one more landed.

Reactions: oh2fish
S
Sam Heady Spuds
Been fishing B&E up around mapleton and nothing so Slow day so far. Talked to quite a few people that have had a skunked weekend. Talked to some folks today that have been trolling Florence to mapleton and they said everyone they talked to hadn't caught anything and haven seen a bent rod. Hopefully this weeks rain gets them going. Might head back to Eugene and try and wrestle one of those last summer stealies holding out.

Reactions: Admin
D
Dustin0718
With the coming storms that will surely blow the river out through at least Monday-Tuesday. When would be prime time to start fishing again for the next wave of fish to come up above tide water? I'm relatively new to chinook fishing in rivers above tide water and wasn't positive if fishing would be best as flows are shaping back to normal or at high flows. Any opinions or info is appreciated.

caught this beautiful chromer today in the river. Thought I give it a shot today after fishing siltcoos for 4 hours to no avail. Despite low water levels, caught this guy off my first drift! Same hole 2 drifts later I hook into a large hen, which was lost to a rock. Another 2 drifts later hooked into a large buck in the same hole, which was lost to an improperly set hook, oops. Had to leave after that but was a very productive 15 minutes on the river