Rivers Siuslaw River Fishing Reports

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
jamisonace said:
Yes, they’ve been above Elkton for weeks. Fishing is pretty slow however.

I meant Mapleton.... doh. I lost a couple spinners near Elkton last Friday. No salmonids were seen by me that day, just a couple small bass. I was thinking I might try a few of the pullouts along Hwy 36 and Stagecoach Rd tomorrow. On the other hand, I could get the hallway pointed and have something to show for my efforts. :)

hobster
hobster
I got a coho Monday on bobber and eggs. Tasted great! Ha ha, was released of course. Nook fishing is slow, didn’t see any hooked and only a couple roll. Pretty sure Stagecoach is closed for Nook fishing, closed above the fork with Lake creek. I could be wrong, make sure to check the regs. Good luck!

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
hobster said:
I got a coho Monday on bobber and eggs. Tasted great! Ha ha, was released of course. Nook fishing is slow, didn’t see any hooked and only a couple roll. Pretty sure Stagecoach is closed for Nook fishing, closed above the fork with Lake creek. I could be wrong, make sure to check the regs. Good luck!
You are correct:
Lake Cr to Whittaker Cr• Open for hatchery steelhead Jan 1 - Mar 31 aWnd Dec 1-31.• Closed for Chinook salmon.

Well, that narrows down my options significantly.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Made it back to Florence. Marked tons of fish but the bite never turned on. 2 bites, one hooked and landed. No other fish seen caught.

IMG_20190920_171852.jpg

Markk
Markk
Last week

Reactions: jamisonace and maxwyatt
Markk
Markk
Any current reports?
Thanks

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have heard nothing good. and nothing good at Siltcoos either (spent today there, 61F water but a late algae bloom and didn't see any big fish).

Markk
Markk
That’s not what I wanted to hear. I am going to give the Siuslaw a go on Tuesday. Will report back.

hobster
hobster
Slow! Rains this week should help. Been out twice and haven’t seen a nook hooked either time. Bobber and eggs of the bank. Hope you get one, good luck

Reactions: Markk
Markk
Markk
Released 2 coho, 1 by the million dollar motor homes and the other by the summer homes. Saw one Chinook lost at the boat and talked to a guide that was above the summer home that had 3.

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
I have heard nothing good. and nothing good at Siltcoos either (spent today there, 61F water but a late algae bloom and didn't see any big fish).
Is the dam open on Siltcoos if not do you have any idea when?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:
Is the dam open on Siltcoos if not do you have any idea when?

the company that took over the dams at Siltcoos and Tahk appears to be operating them differently. instead of letting the water level go up, then cycling the dam way open and then closed, like in the past, they seem to be trying to open the spillways a bit and adjusting them to balance water coming in with water flowing out.

so yes, the dam has been opened, back in late September is what I heard, and the water level is currently what I would consider 'normal' (not high or low), but the dam being opened doesn't mean what it used to, IMO. If the storm hitting now provides a few inches of rain, I would expect further opening of the spillways and hopefully we will see lots of coho activity in the lake soon.

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
the company that took over the dams at Siltcoos and Tahk appears to be operating them differently. instead of letting the water level go up, then cycling the dam way open and then closed, like in the past, they seem to be trying to open the spillways a bit and adjusting them to balance water coming in with water flowing out.

so yes, the dam has been opened, back in late September is what I heard, and the water level is currently what I would consider 'normal' (not high or low), but the dam being opened doesn't mean what it used to, IMO. If the storm hitting now provides a few inches of rain, I would expect further opening of the spillways and hopefully we will see lots of coho activity in the lake soon.
It will be interesting how the dams new operating procedure will affect the coho. Thanks for the info.
rogerdodger said:

It will be interesting how the dams new operating procedure will affect the coho. Thanks for the info.
rogerdodger said:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:

I think the coho will be just fine with it, they can use the fish ladder anytime they want, or pass through the dam when it is open enough.

If it reduces the big surges of coho that often followed a big change in the dam opening, that could make catching them a bit more difficult, for some.

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
I think the coho will be just fine with it, they can use the fish ladder anytime they want, or pass through the dam when it is open enough.

If it reduces the big surges of coho that often followed a big change in the dam opening, that could make catching them a bit more difficult, for some.
I think if it does reduce the big surges it could be a good thing as the fish wouldn’t stack up outside the outlet making it more difficult on for the seals.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Siltcoos water level a bit higher Friday, we need more rain but they should be increasing the opening of the dam soon. probably. I did not see any coho activity in the river below the dam.

Reactions: Markk
Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
Siltcoos water level a bit higher Friday, we need more rain but they should be increasing the opening of the dam soon. probably. I did not see any coho activity in the river below the dam.
Any updates on the dam and lake?
Thanks

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
dam opening was increased Sunday, river was flowing nicely, but no sign of coho in the river below the dam while we were there Sunday.

Pepper and I fished the west and north areas of the lake today, not many boats out fishing. We did find this 'little' guy while "spin/trolling" in about 3' of water. 28" buck just as bright as a dime.

Water level is up, they should be letting more out soon.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Reactions: my2labs and Markk
hobster
hobster
Hellz yeah buddy! Way to get one

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we hit the launch at 8am with low expectations due to a lack of any recent reports. Distributed 5 pots between the A4 and A7 bouys, got them all soaking about 1.5 hours before high tide. Started getting keepers quickly, then multiple keeper pots, then some huge crabs, and by 11:30am, just past high slack, we had 24 in the cooler and started stacking pots, final count was 25, full solid crab. I think we ended up with 5 that were over 7". cheers, roger

bfuYgCv.jpg

6LVYtrr.jpg

Reactions: plumbertom and playhooky
Top Bottom