Siuslaw River above Whitaker creek

H
Hophead
Wondering if anyone has fished the Siuslaw up above the Whitaker Creek bridge/boat launch for steelhead? Or any information at all, I just started steelhead fishing this year but have yet to catch one. I've fished a handful of spots from the bank between 126 and Whiteaker Creek, and also on the other side of 126. Drove up the Siuslaw above the Whitaker Bridge today but just wondering why no one fishes up there. Thanks for reading....Cheers!

hobster
hobster
People do fish there but not very often. The fish head up the creek so most people fish underneath because your odds are higher. Sometimes they do hang out above the creek and it can be great but a boat helps. I was up there a bit today and it was SLOW, i didn't talk to anyone who had a bump, and no fish under the trap. We need some rain soon, that water almost looks like the Mac in the summer.

H
Hophead
Thanks hobster! How far up the creek from the Siuslaw is the fish trap I hear people talk about?

J
JeannaJigs
Hophead said:
Thanks hobster! How far up the creek from the Siuslaw is the fish trap I hear people talk about?

<1/4 mile

hobster
hobster
^^^ like she said. Just cross the bridge above the creek ( where everyone launches their boat) and drive till you see the campground on the right. Walk to the creek from your car and the trap is right there - can't miss it. There is also a foot bridge which gives you access to the other side of the river. It'll be real hard to hook one with the water so low and clear, especially for a beginner. The only way to learn is being on the river - so good luck out there :) If you see a dude with a fly rod out there tomorrow it may be me - stop and say hi.

J
joem
i hooked one under the bridge right after putting in with the boat. and also got one about 10 ft above the creek.

D
dtikey
joem said:
i hooked one under the bridge right after putting in with the boat. and also got one about 10 ft above the creek.

good job Joe...with the water dropping so much up thier the fish will mostly avoid going up the creek till another shot of water weather it be from rain or snow melt.When this occurs the fish will go past the creek and hang out withen about 1/2 mile up.If your not in a boat you are right by the private land up river so make sure to respect that.Good hole 50 yards above bridge which should have holding fish biding thier time.

H
Hophead
Cool! Thanks for all the info everyone! I've mostly just been drifting yarnballs, corkies, eggs....I've caught 2 suckers in the past week so I'm guessing I'm in the right zone...maybe I'm doing something wrong, but i was thinking we need some rain to get the fish moving again! This is a great forum and thanks again for the tips and feel free to shoot me any information a beginner could use, I really do appreciate it and hopefully get a chance to personally meet some of you out there along the banks!