Siuslaw in Mapleton

Q
qwapaw
Just wondering if anyone has fished the Mapleton, Sweet Creek area. I hear there are boats there, just wonder if anyone has been marking fish. Next week is our annual trip and hope to bring home some meat, and then some crab. Usually Jigs know what is going on in the area. Thanks, and Tight Lines to all. Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
R
rippin fish lips
There there! Been hearing reports of fish being caught under the bridge in old town in florence and in the bay. They are down in mapleton however to! good luck! A good crabbing spot is right in front of the coast gaurd station, Watch out for deep hole around that arear cuz they are there!! Good crabbing at that spot tho. Just give the coast guard room to get out and you will be fine. Troll spinners and plug cut herring, They are liking the spinners tho!

Good luck!

J
JeannaJigs
Sadly, I have only fished the 'Slaw once this year, and it was nearly a month ago. It's picked up though, Last friday I drove from the coast home and saw 5 nets out during the drive. They're in there. Hopefully will get to fish it this next month. My no boat siutation has ended up sucking lol.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well!

L
lotsolegs
So going to hit the Slaw tomorrow hoping to finally get some fish blood on the boat!! Did not have such good luck last season on our boat.. But hopefully tomorrow shows us some love.. (Got to take the time tonight to clean all the summer stuff out of the cabin and restock with fishing gear!!

C
crusty old fisherman
I fished today seen only 2 fish caught between the summer homes and the upper end of the sweetcreek hole/ aka behind the old mill. pretty slow through that stretch although I did mark a lot of fish and see tons of fish hittin the surface , but they just has lock jaw. I ran herring spinners and even tried pulling a kwik fish but no lick I pounded that area from daylight until 4 pm

tons of boats at mapelton though not sure how they did.

crusty

T
Thuggin4Life
I heard of one caught the other day in mapleton but have talked to many people.

C
crusty old fisherman
I heard a rumor they checked 50 fish wednesday or thursday in mapelton but I didn't stop in to confirm it.

I never been into the whole bobber fishing thing it just seems wrong to me to harrass the darkies.

I am sure there are some real brite fish up there this yr though with all the rain we had.

Crusty

W
windburnt
qwapaw said:
Just wondering if anyone has fished the Mapleton, Sweet Creek area. I hear there are boats there, just wonder if anyone has been marking fish. Next week is our annual trip and hope to bring home some meat, and then some crab. Usually Jigs know what is going on in the area. Thanks, and Tight Lines to all. Dan

there are boats from post 12 at the coast guard station all the way down to mapleton bridge..they seem to be in a lot different spots then they were last year though...as far as where the fish are...just play the lottery...can't win if u dont play...ive made many trips there in the last month or 2 and havent got anything till this last weekend. The fish are defenitely there though. I ask everybody i troll past if theres any luck and most say no luck...the day i got mine, the bite was on...there were a lot of people with fish that day.

L
lotsolegs
Spent a whole day out there yesterday.. Saw a ton jumping one fish one.. was a sliver.. They said at the dock only 5 fish in 10 boats . Saw a guy get in a lot of trouble for keeping a silver.. The weather was amazing but fishing...not so much we went up and down trolling herring, shrimp, tried a few lures and the only bites were on the herring.

N
Nook Hooker
Well there are fish there. Qwapaw and I fished the last two days just downstream of Mapleton. Bobber fishing with eggs and sand shrimp. Trolled in the afternoon. Nothing the first day, aside from the pike minnows stealing bait left and right. Today, Qwapaw landed a nice chinook after it dragged the boat up and down the river.

SalmonFishing2010 001 Small.jpg

He didn't seem too sure what to do with it afterward... :D

SalmonFishing2010 012 sMALL.jpg

S
steelheadstalker31
Nice Chromer for sure.

J
JeannaJigs
Beware of those fillet knives!! Haha I sliced my finger to the bone Sunday filleting my salmon. :(

NICE CATCH. I look forward to gettin' my driftboat out there maybe in 2 weeks to join the zoo.

Q
qwapaw
Just to set the record straight, That's what happen after one Scotch Rocks when you've been on the river all day. I was trying to figure out what end to start on, lol. I made it and man have we had fun. Got 8 nice crabs today, and we are boiling them now. Looking like dinner next week will be on the Siuslwa at twice. Tight lines, and keep trying, It works. Dan

Q
qwapaw
Just thouoght I should add, the fish was caught on Sand Shrimp on the South Bank about 200 yd west of the boat ramp. Good fishing, Qwa

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish dan!

L
lotsolegs
Allright takin the boat out again tomorrow with the kids.. Hoping to catch a big one really would love to have my daughter fight a nice big salmon.. Getting mixed reviews though.. O hope the weather is not to bad out there, but we got out rain gear and the boat has a cover just in case.. Fingers crossed....Ready to go