Siuslaw cougar warning

S
Salmonhungry
Yep, you read right. I was fishing up between Whittaker and Wildcat (now I know why they call it wildcat) and there was this boat in the bank spot I wanted. No biggy we can share, I put down my gear and we all said our hello's. Good I think we are off to a good start. I start casting and wait for my turn and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong. Then one of the guys in the boat asks if I have my firearm. Firearm? (crap, what did I do to **** this guy off). I replied: Huh, nooo, do I need one? Then he told me that he and his buddy saw two young cougars just up the road from where we were fishing. He said they crossed in front of them and went down to the river. (phew, just cats and not a confrontation, I can handle that). On my way out I went into the area that they described seeing the cats and sure enough there were signs of cats all over the place. Dang that's a good fishin' hole too.

Just wanted you all to know if your going in at the crack of dawn.

Oh no fish for me today... saw 4 hooked and 2 landed.

J
JeannaJigs
I was fishing a coastal creek this weekend and we found a couple elk carcasses and lots of signs of cats, tracks, scat, tree's that became scratching posts, random chunks of what appeared to be elk hide, etc. Got caught hiking back along an elk trail after dark and felt like I was walking along a buffet line. Can't say I enjoyed that experience, except that I didn't become a snack so it's okay. The coast range is cougar heaven. I've seen a lot of tracks around a few spots I fish along stagecoach more so in recent years. Earlier in the season I was cutting brush to some trails that got overrun and found tracks that appeared to be a mother with at least two, possibly three cubs near mile post 5 on stagecoach. That's one cat family I don't ever want to run into.

Hooray for firearms. That's all I gotta say.

J
JeannaJigs
Oh and where you fishing on the siuslaw road side or the BLM side going in from the campground?

S
Salmonhungry
JeannaJigs said:
Oh and where you fishing on the siuslaw road side or the BLM side going in from the campground?

I was fishing the Siuslaw road side and also the cats were seen on the Siuslaw road side. They were seen just north of mile post 1 at what I think was an old boat take out. Its a very popular fishing spot, I'm sure you have seen it and fished it. Large flat area leading down to the river and river splits.

S
sparsegreyhackle
I agree with Jeanna, "Hooray for firearms"!!! I would like to introduce those kittys to my little german friend, Mr. Sig!!!

Fished Lake Cr. yesterday, didn't touch a fish but did net one for a guy, so I get a "assist" right? LOL

Reactions: Boombollie
C
Cohosanders
sparsegreyhackle said:
I agree with Jeanna, "Hooray for firearms"!!! I would like to introduce those kittys to my little german friend, Mr. Sig!!!

Fished Lake Cr. yesterday, didn't touch a fish but did net one for a guy, so I get a "assist" right? LOL

First post:clap:Welcome and good job on the assist :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
Salmonhungry said:
I was fishing the Siuslaw road side and also the cats were seen on the Siuslaw road side. They were seen just north of mile post 1 at what I think was an old boat take out. Its a very popular fishing spot, I'm sure you have seen it and fished it. Large flat area leading down to the river and river splits.
Yup I know exactly where that's at. Fished it many times. Found a dead coyote down there when I was 16 or so, it was tore up, but it looked like it had been shot first.

F
fishkiller
Thanks for the heads up, I don't want to tangle with a mom and her cubs!! It's better to have gun and not need it then to need it and not have one.

R
rippin fish lips
JeannaJigs said:
I was fishing a coastal creek this weekend and we found a couple elk carcasses and lots of signs of cats, tracks, scat, tree's that became scratching posts, random chunks of what appeared to be elk hide, etc. Got caught hiking back along an elk trail after dark and felt like I was walking along a buffet line. Can't say I enjoyed that experience, except that I didn't become a snack so it's okay. The coast range is cougar heaven. I've seen a lot of tracks around a few spots I fish along stagecoach more so in recent years. Earlier in the season I was cutting brush to some trails that got overrun and found tracks that appeared to be a mother with at least two, possibly three cubs near mile post 5 on stagecoach. That's one cat family I don't ever want to run into.

Hooray for firearms. That's all I gotta say.
took stage cosh home one day after salmon fishin lake creek. Ran into a how hunter at mile marker 5. Stopped and asked him if he wanted a ride to his vehicle after asking him if hr saw anything, r said he saw some massive herds of elk, an a bear walking up a hill as he was coming down. Then he said he just had a cougar jump at him from the hill to the road at mile marker 5. So I proceeded to give him a ride to a truck.

B
bran_man
Yup unfortunately I've seen some fresh signs all over slaw... They have warning signs all over...

T
troutmasta
r7rkp0.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
jhop111
jhop111
:biggrin:Lol I had to send that picture to my friend. He runs hounds over east strictly for bobcat and cougar. Unfortunately we can't run them over here . I might be making a trip down to the slaw soon. Hopefully big mama cat is around with the siblings still . But fair warning to those who go fishing alone or childless.

hobster
hobster
Hit the Slaw this afternoon today for the 1st time this year and it was pretty slow. There wasn't another fisherman around from the Whit to way down stagecoach. Water was LOW and clear, hit a few of my favorite holes above Wildcat and it was a little freaky being totally alone on the river after reading about the cougar sightings. Lucky my trusty pal (my dog) was with me so that made me feel better. Spotted one steel and saw another roll downriver on stagecoach but no takers. I had a great time just being on the river and can't wait for a little rain and hopefully a great run! At least there were no cougars :)

E
eugene1
Too funny!

On the other hand, maybe bring a little noisemaker...

Best,

troutmasta said:

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Ya kinda crazy I live right along the slaw off e mapleton rd and every time I go out at night to get more firewood from the shed in back I bring my 2 friends mr smith and mr Wesson I already seen a momma bear and her cub and just last spring my neighbor shot a mountain lion that was chasing a bob cat in his backyard (nice mount now) so now after reading this I don't feel so crazy being out in my boxers holding a .40 hand gun yelling....Go Away Kitty!:D

P
plumb2fish
Too funny, a 3 yr old thread has a bunch of panties in wads.....

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Lmao I just noticed the date:lol:

1 nut in the water
Huge, hungry cougars all over the Slaw this year. Very unsafe to get out of the vehicle, people need to be warned before they become lunch as is quite common and few human remains are ever found. Stay away, no fish out there anyhow........