Siuslaw closed to chinook fishing until Aug. 1

H
Heceta_Rick
Just opened the 2015 fishing regulations, and it says that Chinook fishing opens on Aug. 1.
Was May 24.

Y
Yogidabear
I have never caught a chinook in the siuslaw river until september so whats the big deal?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I have heard of a small run of springers so maybe that's why although closing it makes no difference as no one fishes it! I live 300 yards from the river just upstream of the Dump and I saw the first boat in months going down the river yesterday! Broodstock program for springers here sounds like a winner to me!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
I have heard of a small run of springers so maybe that's why although closing it makes no difference as no one fishes it! I live 300 yards from the river just upstream of the Dump and I saw the first boat in months going down the river yesterday! Broodstock program for springers here sounds like a winner to me!

I have never heard of a springer in the Siuslaw and ODFW would never try to create a run; the river is not long enough for them...the Yaquina on the other hand is getting a new springer run under CMP...I think the chinook opening change is just a technicality to bring it in line with opening of other fall chinook seasons, the Slaw is still open for all other fish earlier in the summer...

H
Heceta_Rick
Yogidabear, I guess it might not be that big a deal, but I picked up a really nice Chinook last year in July right on top of the bar.
My tag says 7-26-14... I know, I know, only a couple of days before the new opening day of Aug. 1, but why the change!
More arbitrary constraints on our freedom. Sooner or later, it could turn out to be a really BIG deal.
Sometimes I just have to go Salmon fishing, and I am just 3 minutes from the Rhododendron rock wall, or North Jetty.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Heceta_Rick said:
Yogidabear, I guess it might not be that big a deal, but I picked up a really nice Chinook last year in July right on top of the bar.
My tag says 7-26-14... I know, I know, only a couple of days before the new opening day of Aug. 1, but why the change!
More arbitrary constraints on our freedom. Sooner or later, it could turn out to be a really BIG deal.
Sometimes I just have to go Salmon fishing, and I am just 3 minutes from the Rhododendron rock wall, or North Jetty.

Heceta_Rick- if you were on top of the bar, would that not be tagged as an ocean chinook? did you tag it 85 or 11?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
There's a few believe it, before man I bet it was epic! They get in after the steelhead spawn etc! No way the Umpqua gets a huge run and none here! Stop the negative vibes and believe man!

H
Heceta_Rick
Just inside the jaws... tagged 1W 85

H
Heceta_Rick
Found the Pic...

7-26-14.jpg

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I bet the Slaw gets some huge springers but nobody notices!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Heceta_Rick said:
Just inside the jaws... tagged 1W 85

a difference in terminology, I have always considered the 'bar' to be just beyond the jaws/jetties and thus in the ocean.

GaryP1958 said:
There's a few believe it, before man I bet it was epic! They get in after the steelhead spawn etc! No way the Umpqua gets a huge run and none here! Stop the negative vibes and believe man!

you can call it negative vibes; I think it is just the reality of geology and marine biology. (FYI- Kelly's Heroes is one of all time favorite movies!) cheers, roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Roger there is a spring run believe it!

H
Heceta_Rick
Cleaned up and ready to filet.... then into the smoker.

Chin2.jpg

rogerdodger....I have always considered Jerry's Place.... the 'bar' :D

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Always the negative vibes!:sad:

E
eugene1
I think the slaw used to have a very, very small spring run?

These days (and perhaps back in the old days)- any springers coming into the slaw are most likely strays from other rivers. The spring nooks and summer steel need cool water coming from snowpack to survive the warm summers. This is why the North Umpqua has a good springer run but the slaw does not (due to Cascade mountain snow, in the case of the Ump).

That said, I'd be interested to know the reasoning for the reg. changes as well.

Take care,

P
plumb2fish
There's a remnant run of springers on the slaw, the ones on the lake creek side are usually 8-12lbs from what I have been told.
I have seen 15-25 lb class fish near Siuslaw Falls in late July on the main river as well...