Single, Switch, or Spey? Length?

S
Spydeyrch
Ok, so I have been going over things for quite a while now, like somewhere around a year or so, right? hahaha :lol: But I had to stop even thinking about it as it was starting to take up too much time and was going to cast me too much $$. So I put it on pause for a number of months and made myself be content with my 2 single handed trout rods. But now that the rain has kicked in, I just got to get out on the rivers and I really want to do some steelhead and salmon fishing come 2013 (maybe even in 2012!! :shock: hahahaha). I got bit by the bug and I can't get it out of my head!!

So, as I contemplate many things such as how much $$ can I squeeze out of my 401k to buy the gear or better yet out of my kids college savings, how much time do I "really" need to dedicate to my kid's daily involvement, and is a divorce on the horizon if I take this route (that is all in jest. My family comes first for me just to be clear. :D) I recently thought about if I want to get a single handed, switch, or spey rod to go after these fish. I am not too concerned about learning casting techniques, etc.

I do how ever want to get y'alls opinions on which would be better. It can be personal, based on experience, etc. Which would be more versatile? Which is more specific to a certain technique? Which would you recommend? I am not looking specifically for brand, model, $$, wt, etc. But if you state one or the other (i.e. single, switch, spey) then please also give an indication as to which length you would recommend for that rod type. If you want to recommend brand, model, $$, wt, that is fine too but I am not specifically looking for it. :D

Also, if you want o give some advise as to when certain ones work better than others in certain scenarios, please have at it. The more knowledge I can leech off of you ..... ummm :)lol:) .... I mean inspire you to kindly and generously give to a begging poor soul (ya know you guys are awesome!!! :D) :pray: the better off I will be and the more grateful I will be to you. :clap:

Just to get you started, I was previously looking at an Echo Ion (single handed) 10' rod. I think it would be the most all-around general purpose rod to target salmon and steelhead, at a decent price too. But then I was thinking about a spey rod and just how ..... :think: ... majestic and awe-inspiring they are. Plus doing spey casting looks pretty freakin' awesome!! :dance: But as I understand it, spey rods are a more specific style of technique. So I think that a switch rod would be somewhere in between, wouldn't it? But I am going off of just my personal observations and not really any personal experience. So that is where I kindly ask for your assistance to un-clutter the gaggle of information that is out there.

Thank you to all that help and contribute!!

Take care y'all!!

-Spydey

F
fredaevans
First, there are no 'bad' 2handers out there anymore. Some may be better than others, but 'eye of the beholder.' Thing I find with 'Newbies' choosing their first rod/line weight is they go for too long and too heavy. A shorter rod is much easier to learn on, ditto line weights of 7 and down. Soooo, that said what kind of water are you going to be fishing and 'for what?' (Don't mean that last question to sound dumb, but gearing up for a 5 pound (average) fish is quite different than one over 10.

W
waco
All my single handed are 9' and I have never felt like I need a longer one! I think that's the perfect size for small or larger streams! But now definitely i'm looking for a switch!

F
fredaevans
If you like 9' rods I'd then take a look at 11' to 12'6" two handers. Personal opin here only, but at 12-6 you're on the bottom number for a full on 2hander. Extreamly easy to learn on and properly lined 70'-90' is a very easy cast. Over that ... only with a tail wind. ;>)
Fred

S
Spydeyrch
fredaevans said:
First, there are no 'bad' 2handers out there anymore. Some may be better than others, but 'eye of the beholder.' Thing I find with 'Newbies' choosing their first rod/line weight is they go for too long and too heavy. A shorter rod is much easier to learn on, ditto line weights of 7 and down. Soooo, that said what kind of water are you going to be fishing and 'for what?' (Don't mean that last question to sound dumb, but gearing up for a 5 pound (average) fish is quite different than one over 10.

Interesting ..... :think: .... Thanks for the pointers. As far as being a noob .... yeah I guess I could still be considered that. I have been fly fishing for almost 2 years now but only for trout on small streams and smaller - medium rivers. I haven't gone after steelhead or salmon yet so in that category I am definitely a n00b.

I was thinking for a single handed rod I would go 10'. For a switch 11' - 12'. And for a spey 12'+ (sky's the limit!!)

As far as line wt goes, I currently have a 5wt and a 3wt that I use for trout fishing. I was going to go for either a 7wt or an 8wt for this new setup to go after steelhead & salmon. What I really would like to do is get a 7wt for steelhead and like a 9wt for salmon. But I am not made out of $$ so I might have to wait to do that dream. :rolleyes:

As far as water goes, primarily rivers, no too big though. Sizes like: the Wilson River, the Salmon River (coastal range), the Nehalem, the Nesteucca, the Sandy, the Salmon (Sandy trib), Eagle Creek (both Gorge & Clack tribs), Clackamas, Mollala (if it has any steel and/or salmon runs), and other small - medium sized systems. I think the biggest river I would go on would be the Deschutes, which I have fished once thus far in my fishing career.

I would be targeting Steelhead and salmon.

I hope that answers all your questions!! :D

-Spydey

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
waco said:
All my single handed are 9' and I have never felt like I need a longer one! I think that's the perfect size for small or larger streams! But now definitely i'm looking for a switch!

I think that for smaller streams and rivers, yes, 9' is perfect if going after steelhead and salmon. But for medium to larger rivers, I think I would want something maybe a little longer ... at least I think so ... I don't know so cause I haven't ever done it ... but I think I would like something longer .... hahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

Oye Waco, cuando vamos a ir a pescar de nuevo? Esta vez me tienes que llevar a pescar unos steelhead or salmon, sale vale? Pero si para eso entonces no tengo mi propio equipo, me podras prestar? Gracais cuate!! Cudiate! Chao.

F
fredaevans
Based on what you've said above it sounds like a 11 to 12 foot 7wt switch could be 'perfect.' Light enough to be fun on smaller fish, enough back bone to handle a pretty damned good sized one. And don't get too worked up about learning to cast the switch. All a 'spey cast' is, is a change of direction cast just like you'd do with a one hander. The placement of the 'anchor' eliminates all that faulse casting; but beyond that, the 180 degree change of direction is fully operational.

A nine footer is a tad short for this, but practice 'spey casting' with that single hander. All you need is an inch below the reel seat so you've got a place to put a finger or two. The rod doesn't know, the rod doesn't care (unless it's a total wimp action wise). I carry a 10' 7wt Sage XP and doubt that things seen a real over hand cast in ages. No need.
fae

S
Spydeyrch
fredaevans said:
Based on what you've said above it sounds like a 11 to 12 foot 7wt switch could be 'perfect.' Light enough to be fun on smaller fish, enough back bone to handle a pretty damned good sized one. And don't get too worked up about learning to cast the switch. All a 'spey cast' is, is a change of direction cast just like you'd do with a one hander. The placement of the 'anchor' eliminates all that faulse casting; but beyond that, the 180 degree change of direction is fully operational.

A nine footer is a tad short for this, but practice 'spey casting' with that single hander. All you need is an inch below the reel seat so you've got a place to put a finger or two. The rod doesn't know, the rod doesn't care (unless it's a total wimp action wise). I carry a 10' 7wt Sage XP and doubt that things seen a real over hand cast in ages. No need.
fae

As far as a switch rod goes, I was looking at the Echo SR 7wt 10' 10" rod. It comes with some airflo 510 grain shooting line too. I think it runs for $320.

But the thing is, if I go with the Echo Ion 7wt 10' rod, it is $180, so I save $140 which I could use on other items. I would lose those 10" though and the free line .... hmmm :think: stuff to think about.

Thanks again fred for the input. :D

-Spydey

F
fredaevans
If you're not already a member of the SpeyPages web forum, Google/sign on/sign in. There isn't a rod these guys have 'book' on. Also check the classifieds; LOTS of stuff to consider.

M
Modest_Man
Hurry up and get one Andrew, so we can flog some water together. Worked my TFO 12'6" spey today for a couple hours - I've got a lot to learn. I picked mine up off of Spey Pages, great site.

S
Spydeyrch
Modest_Man said:
Hurry up and get one Andrew, so we can flog some water together. Worked my TFO 12'6" spey today for a couple hours - I've got a lot to learn. I picked mine up off of Spey Pages, great site.

Dude, you have no idea how bad I got the bug right now man!!! Like I hardly got any work done today cause all I was doing was thinking about fishing, researching rods, lines, etc. AHHH!!! It is driving me crazy!!! hahahahaha :lol:

I am hoping to get something together in the next few weeks here.

I am going to have to check out that spey pages site. Both you and Fred have mentioned now. Gotta be to get double recommendation back to back.

I will keep y'all posted when I finally get down to what I get.

Take care y'all

-Spydey

A
agentorange
Spydeyrch said:
Ok, so I have been going over things for quite a while now, like somewhere around a year or so, right? hahaha :lol: But I had to stop even thinking about it as it was starting to take up too much time and was going to cast me too much $$. So I put it on pause for a number of months and made myself be content with my 2 single handed trout rods. But now that the rain has kicked in, I just got to get out on the rivers and I really want to do some steelhead and salmon fishing come 2013 (maybe even in 2012!! :shock: hahahaha). I got bit by the bug and I can't get it out of my head!!

So, as I contemplate many things such as how much $$ can I squeeze out of my 401k to buy the gear or better yet out of my kids college savings, how much time do I "really" need to dedicate to my kid's daily involvement, and is a divorce on the horizon if I take this route (that is all in jest. My family comes first for me just to be clear. :D) I recently thought about if I want to get a single handed, switch, or spey rod to go after these fish. I am not too concerned about learning casting techniques, etc.

I do how ever want to get y'alls opinions on which would be better. It can be personal, based on experience, etc. Which would be more versatile? Which is more specific to a certain technique? Which would you recommend? I am not looking specifically for brand, model, $$, wt, etc. But if you state one or the other (i.e. single, switch, spey) then please also give an indication as to which length you would recommend for that rod type. If you want to recommend brand, model, $$, wt, that is fine too but I am not specifically looking for it. :D

Also, if you want o give some advise as to when certain ones work better than others in certain scenarios, please have at it. The more knowledge I can leech off of you ..... ummm :)lol:) .... I mean inspire you to kindly and generously give to a begging poor soul (ya know you guys are awesome!!! :D) :pray: the better off I will be and the more grateful I will be to you. :clap:

Just to get you started, I was previously looking at an Echo Ion (single handed) 10' rod. I think it would be the most all-around general purpose rod to target salmon and steelhead, at a decent price too. But then I was thinking about a spey rod and just how ..... :think: ... majestic and awe-inspiring they are. Plus doing spey casting looks pretty freakin' awesome!! :dance: But as I understand it, spey rods are a more specific style of technique. So I think that a switch rod would be somewhere in between, wouldn't it? But I am going off of just my personal observations and not really any personal experience. So that is where I kindly ask for your assistance to un-clutter the gaggle of information that is out there.

Thank you to all that help and contribute!!

Take care y'all!!

-Spydey

My experience is with a 10ft. 7wt. and a couple of different switch rods. I loved the 7wt. but I have had multiple shoulder surgeries and can't handle the single hand casting all day. So, I highly recommend a switch rod. I don't believe there is any switch rod made that is over 11'8. Redington and Sage is what I have. I have a 7wt Redington CPX(11'3) and a 5wt Sage One(11'6). The One rod is a bit silly for steelies because you just don't have the hooking power, but I got it for big trout too. If you want to save a buck buy switch rod on Ebay or Craig's List. Just know this about using the switch rod, YOU CAN DO ANY TYPE OF STEELIE FISHING WITH IT!! You cannot swing big rivers with big flies in the wind with a single hander, you cannot nymph very effectively with a Spey rod, you can do both with a switch rod. It's all about how you want to fish. I nymph, so the switch is perfect. If you only want to swing then go get a 13ft spey. That's my two cents.
troy

J
john montana
Echo sr switch in a seven weight sounds like what you need. Good rod, good price, very versatile...I think that would cover you around here.

Unless you want to get into carp...in which case I wold just go with a 9 ft 6 inch 7 or 8 wt single hander...

I have the sr switch (in a 7 wt) and it is a great tool for around here. If I could only have one steelhead/salmon rod that is what I would get for sure.

S
Spydeyrch
john montana said:
Echo sr switch in a seven weight sounds like what you need. Good rod, good price, very versatile...I think that would cover you around here.

Unless you want to get into carp...in which case I wold just go with a 9 ft 6 inch 7 or 8 wt single hander...

I have the sr switch (in a 7 wt) and it is a great tool for around here. If I could only have one steelhead/salmon rod that is what I would get for sure.

Yeah, I think that is what I am going to go with.

Question for you John, what reel and line do you have on that Echo SR 7wt? Any recommendations? Thanks and take care man!

-Spydey

J
john montana
I have a fish field reel and 9 wt floating line. I mostly nymph with it. Go see don at river city, he will make you a good deal on a set up.

Good luck!

W
waco
john montana said:
I have a fish field reel and 9 wt floating line. I mostly nymph with it. Go see don at river city, he will make you a good deal on a set up.

Good luck!
Wherever you do, DON'T go there! Worst costumer service ever!

S
Spydeyrch
So I have been to River City once. I don't know who the older gentleman there was, didn't get his name. I had my two kids with me but I was there to purchase some flies and tying material. I had heard and read good things about it and this Don guy so I figured I would give it a try. Being as my favorite shop, Kaufmann Streamborn, had gone out of business, River city was the next closest thing.

Well, this was about 1.5 years ago. The experience was not a very pleasant one. I was completely ignored while I was the only customer in the shop. When I asked for some assistance and an opinion, I was directed to a general area of the store with a wave of hand and not even a glance up from what ever he was tying. As I waited at the counter to make my purchase, and this older gentleman was tying flies, another person walked in and the two started chatting up a storm about this guys recent trip to the flats in Florida. They then both went to the same counter where I was at, the guy stood right next to me and the older gentleman started to chat again with him. When I mentioned that I wanted to make a purchase and had been waiting there for a while (about 3 mins) I didn't even get as much as a glance but was simply told that I would be attended to shortly. Then the guy that had walked in only a few moments ago, asked for a few items. Both of them went around the store, the older gentleman showing him where everything was, picking up what the guy needed, then they both came back to the counter, where he proceeded to ring-up the guy that had walked in after I had come into the store. Then they pulled out pictures and started talking about different trips. I got fed up with it and placed my items on the counter and started to leave. The older gentleman had the audacity to tell me: Excuse me, if you aren't going to buy those items, please don't leave them on the counter. Go put them back where you got them. :shock:

I looked at him, wished him a pleasant day, left the items where I had left them on the counter, and exited the store.

It was not the best experience at all. I had lost my favorite fly store and was looking for a good replacement. I had heard a lot of good things about river City and was hopeful about finding a replacement close to home. I felt at that time that River city was not going to fit what I needed, wanted, and expected from a fly shop, and granted, I am not a demanding person by any means. :naughty: But I do expect to be treated fairly and at least show a little interest, even if it is fake, in the fact that I want to create a relationship with your fly shop, hopefully one that will last a long time. Waving your hand at me and telling me that X item is over yonder in a general direction and not even looking me in the eye or saying "Hello" does not inspire confidence in creating a lasting relationship.

I don't know if I was treated that way because I had my kids with me but they are exceptional kids. They were very well behaved. Kept their hands to themselves, didn't bother anything or anyone (being as we were the only ones in the store until that other guy arrived). They were soft spoken, and asked me questions politely, didn't bother the guy tying the flies in any way. So maybe I will get a different response/service if I don't go with my kids. But that really shouldn't be a determining factor.

When I went into Kaufmann Streamborn the first time, the employee that helped me let my kids ask him questions, was totally cool with them being there, and even brought out his dog to let them play with it while we talked!! I mean how awesome is that!! :clap: Too bad they went bankrupt. :(

So I am debating if I should give Don a second chance. I can only assume that the older gentleman was Don but I am not sure.

My 1st choice, even though it is further away, was the the fly Shop in Welches. I was thinking of maybe getting in there early, buy my gear, and then hitting the salmon river right behind them!! That would be awesome!! :D

Anywho, sorry about the rant. :lol:

Should I give Don a 2nd chance? Will he really make it worth my while?

Thanks for everyone's input thus far. It has been very much appreciated! Have a great day

-Spydey