Single hook or treble?

T
TheFishingHex
Iv been hearing of a lot of guys using single hooks on their salmon steelhead spinners, spoons, quick fish. just wanted to hear multiple inputs on it from people who swear by one over the other and people who think they are equal and why?

troutdude
troutdude
Trebles are illegal to use in some places. Check your regs. Trebles also damage a fish; often to the point that they kill the fish.

Singles are always best, if you are required to catch and release. Singles are also best if you C & R fish from an ethical perspective. Barbless singles are even better for the fish's sake. And barbless hooks are sometimes legally required.

M
mezzfin
Singles are much easier on the fish and have the benefit of fewer snags :)

K
Kevinb5688
You know my favorite, singles all the way. Just make sure on a spoon your hook points twards the bevel on the spoon. That way your hook rides up for a snag free drift and you will hook fish in the top of the mouth.

T
TheFishingHex
my question was do u land more fish with a single hook, not that fish safety isn't important but im courious.

H
halibuthitman
TheFishingHex said:
my question was do u land more fish with a single hook, not that fish safety isn't important but im courious.
you hook more fish for extended play on trebles, but I wouldn't say you land more fish on them, a dead hook up on a fish that stays on for more than abour 10 seconds with a siwash hook typicaly results in a landed fish with the exeption of fisherman error, which of course voids the hook from responsibility-

K
Kevinb5688
I think you will have to decide for yourself. If your using spoons i would go 100% single hooks. Spinners you can use trebles but in low slow water id opt for single hooks.
I switched to all sharp single hooks and it did fine by me. I dont only miss about 10% of fish but once there on i land about 80%. ( that is hook related, not counting line breaks.

O
orkfest
Agreed! I fished Washington with thier barbless/single hook rule and as soon as I switched to siwash hooks debarbed I very rarely lost a fish, to the tone of 30 silvers on the Nemah. Also made releasing those green and purple monsters (chum) a breeze after having a blast battling them!

M
mccarrel
I find that I snag up on the bottom less with a siwash which means I'm fishing my lure more and have more chances to hook up. Also, sometimes with trebles you can pin the upper and lower lips shut so fish can't breath. Makes for a a very underwhelming fight.