Simpson Reef hat trick

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
think of your favorite spot to fish, like your favorite hole for steelhead or favorite trolling run for fall chinook (right at high slack), and now imagine being there on a beautiful day....and being all alone.

I dropped my 2 crab pots along the way and got to Simpson Reef about an hour after launch and I was all alone; not a single powerboat fishing on of my favorite places to visit at water level and under my power. I was expecting a "Powerboat Hatch" at about 9am but it didn't happen, the few boats I saw went by and fished further south, today it was just me and nature.

and the Ling Cod wanted to play.

this is hook set on the Ling that I kept (I released 4 others that were legal but not big enough to keep as my 2nd....), this is a trolling rod that I consider almost too stiff for fall chinook.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/jRxy8Ul.jpg"}[/IMG2]

best was that after switching to lighter spinning gear to jig for rockfish, an absolute hulk of a teal Cabby tried to kick my ass and lost (I got the whole deal on video, plus the keeper ling and others). I did destroy my Lancer Jig in order to release it but that's cool, that fish earned it.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/97G3aN7.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I ended up with the Hat Trick- a dark brown Ling, one Black Rockfish, and 6 big solid crabs. (no big 'schools' of rockfish today, just some 'gatherings' of them and lots of little ones)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/NXKUQtf.jpg"}[/IMG2]

bottom line, not a bad day. cheers, roger

Last edited:
Reactions: troutmasta, wils, colt and 1 other person
K
killigan
Looks like a great day in the salt Roger! Amazing how hard fighting those ocean fish are, that stiff rod has a huge bend in it!

B
billfisher
Awesome day, awesome fish! Way to keep after them Roger!

hobster
hobster
Sounds like a peaceful, serene day! Right on buddy, looks like you will have some tasty meals this weekend :thumb:

00Swede
00Swede
Such a great place. I've never fished it though. If I am ever there on a day like that, the Hobie inflatable might have to go in.

G
Gulfstream
I think all the lings ran the school fish out of town!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Roger ;

Spent an hour watching your vids nice stuff!

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
EOBOY;n609905 said:
Roger ;

Spent an hour watching your vids nice stuff!

thanks Dana, sure hope your steelhead catching is going better than mine, I'm still 0-7 on winters this year.

I get lots of positive feedback from folks looking to rig up their TinyBoats in ways similar to what I have done, or just wondering if it's possible to catch big fish from them.

YouTube is the easiest way to share what I have been doing with family and friends, plus I have always been a huge fan of the "Survivorman" series. I've learned lots from watching what other kayak fisherman have done, hoping to pay that forward, plus I don't put ads up on my YouTube channel, it's not like a 'make a bit of money' thing for me, cheers, roger

EOBOY
EOBOY
rogerdodger;n609927 said:
thanks Dana, sure hope your steelhead catching is going better than mine, I'm still 0-7 on winters this year.

I get lots of positive feedback from folks looking to rig up their TinyBoats in ways similar to what I have done, or just wondering if it's possible to catch big fish from them.

Roger got busy with christmas and the holidays. My son came from Ak. for a couple of weeks, then my dr. gave me some new pills and I had a bad reaction and I'm just getting back to normal. I got a new trailer and am having some work done on it, then I plan on hauling it to the coast for a month and hit the steel hard.

I liked that GigBob, but if I get another floating device Rosemary may kill me in my sleep. I'm still scared to get on a kayak, they look to much like a floating motorcycle. I learned a long time ago I shouldn't get on a motorcycle:sad:

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Awesome great story, congrats on the trip. I hope to be getting there soon as I really need a salt fix.