Simpson Reef April 19

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Short video from off the west end of Simpson Reef.

Fishing report: lots and lots of legal but small (<28") lingcod, I released 9, kept one that was injured.
Large Black RockFish all over and they were on the bite, my smallest was 2.5#.
All the kayakers I was out with limited on BRF and Lingcod except me, I just never found that big lingcod I was looking for.
However, 16 keeper hard shell ocean crabs in my 2 pots (11 keepers in one!). Most were 6.25" and missing a claw, which indicates to me they have been 'in-and-out' of a commercial pot several times this year, probably getting a claw torn off by one of the big crabs that the commercial guys get to keep (>6.5").
no whales.

gE0xvj2.jpg

rkXLdoF.jpg

Reactions: bass and Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
Look like a seafood feast is about to happen. Get out the filet knife and crab boiler! Great pictures Roger.

G
Gulfstream
NICE!

troutdude
troutdude
Crikey! You're gonna be livin' "extra large". ;-)

C_Run
C_Run
Gotta say I am getting a bit jealous from some of these reports lately. Nice job.

hobster
hobster
Killin it!

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hobster said:
Killin it!

well, after my total winter steelhead failure this year, I had nowhere to go but up! lol

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and SparkyofSoCal
hobster
hobster
rogerdodger said:
well, after my total winter steelhead failure this year, I had nowhere to go but up! lol
I wouldn’t call it a failure, hard to catch fish if they aren’t there!

Reactions: O. mykiss and rogerdodger
bass
bass
Looks like a good day to me!!

What kind of fish lipper are you using? That thing looks pretty nice.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bass said:
Looks like a good day to me!!

What kind of fish lipper are you using? That thing looks pretty nice.

it's a really nice folding one, aluminum and stainless, and I am terrible at using it. (I lost my net at CoosBay last week, finally time to get good at using a lip gripper for bottom fish).

I think the brand is TSurinoya

here is a link to one on E-bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113900754461?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

bass
bass
Thanks @rogerdodger ! I bought a really cheap boca style grip a number of years ago and I find it awkward in the kayak. The trigger style of the one you have looks like it would work better. I mostly only use mine to hold bass still that have a hard bait with multiple trebles in its mouth or when I bled kokanee. I am not sure I really need to upgrade but it is worth thinking about :)