Simple electrical question

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have a fuel Guage wire that I had to disconnect from my motor when I installed a 115 mercury optimax on my sled. It needs to be hooked up so it comes on with the key. Motor has a Big Tiller.

Anyone know where I can hook this wire to make my Guage functional?

P
Pni_fisherdude
If there are other guages, lights etc... That turn on with your key, you can hook it up to the same wire.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Pni_fisherdude said:
If there are other guages, lights etc... That turn on with your key, you can hook it up to the same wire.
There aren't. Everything is hooked up to switches. I could hook it up to a switch but I'd rather find a place to hook it up in the motor like the place I disconnected from.

P
Pni_fisherdude
If you are able to determine if the Guage needs "power" or "ground", you can then find a post on your ignition switch that provides what it needs, when the key is in the "on" position. I would then imagine it is as simple as putting a ring terminal on the wire and putting it on that post. In my opinion, that would be easier than determining what wire it needs to be connected to on the engine.

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Pni_fisherdude said:
If you are able to determine if the Guage needs "power" or "ground", you can then find a post on your ignition switch that provides what it needs, when the key is in the "on" position. I would then imagine it is as simple as putting a ring terminal on the wire and putting it on that post. In my opinion, that would be easier than determining what wire it needs to be connected to on the engine.
So the ignition has something to connect to? Pretty sure it needs power. Connecting to the ignition would be great because the wire is right there.

Thanks!

P
Pni_fisherdude
Just be sure to connect it to the correct post or it will smoke the wires in a heart beat. đź‘Ť

S
SparkyofSoCal
Pni_fisherdude said:

4799ac21b39466b355a0915935f37e1d.jpg

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Figured it out. I appreciate the advice I got here.

Purple wire off the ignition is for the fuel gauge. I noticed in the engine compartment a purple wire that was not attached to anything but had a rubber plug in it. Turns out it was specifically for the fuel gauge. I took out the plug and inserted my fuel gauge wire and voila! Working fuel gauge.

Boat is now all fixed up and ready to sell.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal