Simms Guide boot question (G3 & 4)

B
boomstick
(I'm a long winded writer, sorry)- This is for anyone willing to read my long posts.
I finally bought my waders and used them last week with the G4 guide boots, no studs or star cleats. I have to say they were excellent and terrible. I decided after wearing them that I will not go out again without the cleats because of slippery rocks! My nike mesh running shoes that have a huge foot print, due to my wide foot and "wide" type, and are foam with a rubber material gripped much better than these boots buy a mile, dry and wet. The biggest difference was the warmth of the boots and ankle support. I figured that I would pass on felt type boots and go with vibram when I decided after reading seemingly a million forums and reviews. I've never worn wading boots so I decided to start with a newer technology because I wouldn't know better anyways. So, today I ordered the star cleats and the old G3 guide boots without studs for the felt. Why you may ask? So I have options, but that is where I'm looking for help from you.
What I've learned;

Felt= Superior to rubber compounds for our rivers. Studs are an excellent addition and recommended. Bad in boats with studs, winter snow, hiking, and wet heavy.

Vibram= 70-80% of grip vs felt, again boat problem cleated, excellent hiking and river approach.Rave reviews in other rivers with peat type substrate unlike our rivers with mossy rocks, deadly without cleats, a guide told me that he will not take me out due to liability and I now know why.

So I'm torn about what to do, I can own both, but not wear both. Who has owned both and is willing to share experiences with me? G3 with or without studs or stick with the G4 and use new cleats and just get use to them?

For the record, I was at the bowling alley in my new gear, feeling good about crossing to the small island. but on the other side of the bank trying to wade across in about a foot or two of water to get ahead of the other guys. I can honestly say I was terrified of landing on my behind and taking a nasty swim because the faster current and how slippery the mossy rocks felt:shock:. I turned cautiously around and very disappointingly scooted back. Walking into the sandy river in troutdale was awesome, even chest high, but where I was at was more silty sand and spaced rocks.
I may sound pathetic, but I've been sucked under before in a river when I was younger (12) in Texas and nearly drowned. I'm an excellent swimmer, but waders and boots do have me fearful. Thank you

H
halibuthitman
go get the Korker boots with the interchangeble soles and a set of mustang survival inflatable suspenders for safety.... you will fish safe and happy for the rest of your life.

B
boomstick
I'm definitely down for the vest. I was honestly wondering if anyone wears one, but who really cares because I'll be wearing mine. I actually asked a shop about that and they said they don't see people wearing them, heck I haven't during the times I've been out. Regardless, I'm getting it...thanx

H
halibuthitman
well I wouldn't let anyones opinion get in the way of safety.. I use them in my drift boat and so does anyone else who gets in it, I have been a commercial Alaskan crab fisherman and longliner for 22 years, I have sank once and burned twice ... safety equipment is a very serious subject.. Englund marine sells several options of suspenders and float coats, so does fishermans I believe.

B
boomstick
I'm going to swing buy fishermans and see what they have to work with. I seen some good deals at time on auction sites. Looks like I'm going to just keep both and make them work for me. Should I stud the felt on the G3's? It has holes for it already. Am I correct in assuming that its winter with the rubber cleats and later summer for the felt?

H
halibuthitman
yeah, but its more river specific, if its a slower river it will always be slick, but rivers that blow out often with a lot of gradiant will usally be pretty stable.. I use felt most the time, it just feels sturdy and I prefer it, but if im trekking I will go with a hard soul or wven my xtra tough rubber boots.

A
Anyfishisfine
I have the Freestone boots with the Vibram sole, and they were deadly on slimy rocks until I got cleats. With cleats they are awesome, but I'm not sure I would get in a boat with them.

B
boomstick
Thanx for all the helpful info! I did swing down to fishermans and check out the mustang pfds, going to get them or another brand like them. I also fished the clack today in this nasty weather with my wife. It was nothing short of a temperamental down pour to blue skies to thunder and wind. No bites, but we did actually see fish jumping! We got to try out the cleats and just like you "Anyfishisfine". HUGE difference and they are awesome like you said. I brought the felt along to try, but didn't even need to brake them out. I will put cleats in them for sure. I can only imagine the better grip with them. "halibuthitman" thanx for pointing out the obvious to me, even though it was not obvious to me. lol I did hit up a small stream and you exactly right slimy as all get out. I really had to plant my foot hard for a good grip, but grip they did. I'm getting a wading stick after that trek. I love OFF!

Not so funny thing happened to me out at Hagg lake in my awesome Nikes while bank fishing for trout Friday. I fell so hard in the rain as the mud caked up on my shoes that I literally could not stand back up. I lost count how many times I fell and I'm talking neck cracking, bell ringing disorientation! (I'm going to post a pic. of the little ones with fish. They had a blast.) I will NEVER go out with those shoes again in the rain-mud...EVER. And I forgot my hiking/yard/work boots as my normal backup, so I was stuck out there in them. If any one from OFF was out the and saw a guy near the dam, falling over and over not able to get up...that was me. Lots of people got to see that show.