Silvers in the creek

O
OnTheDrop
Anyone hook up with any lately? Here there's a late run of some fatty natives.. One guy said the latest hes ever hooked one was march 10th!

T
tnffishman
I dunno man I have never seen any that late, I have got one this year and it was a nate in OK condition but had color. I've never seen any that late

O
OnTheDrop
this one guy who has a cabin right below the hatchery who has been fishing the place forever was telling me this... Just wondering what anybody else had to say about it.. Just sounds odd to me. But he was tellin me so much detail. Who knows.

H
halibuthitman
so I was told by a biologist that was studying columbia river chinooks that some coho and chinooks don't spawn on their return, and just wander the river systems aimlessly, both steelhead and kings don't die from fresh water unless they spawn, don't know about coho... but this explains the fall fish guys call springers going over bonni, and late run cohos... the columbia system has thousands of salmon in it on any day of the year... so anything is a possibility.:cool:

F
Flymstr
Jumping in

Jumping in

Well I don't know about late Silvers on the creek in March. I have been there for years, and the latest I ever even saw one was Jan. 3rd this year. I swear there was something real big about a week ago. This fish did not act like a Steelhead, and would not touch anything, then just disappeared. This could have been a Silver. I don't know about what the Bio told you about fish dying only after the spawn. I have watched Kings in AK die from fresh water exposure, and they still have eggs in em'. Maybe something else got em', but then why would they turn so dark and start deteriorating before they spawned. You would think that if they are not effected until they spawn, they would be in better condition. So what you are saying, is that a King salmon can live in fresh water forever if it does not spawn????????? Come on now!!!! I do know that Steelhead can revert back to trout like activities. I know in Ak they are in the system for nearly 8 months before they spawn and return, and they are in real good shape still even after all this time, but the kings are dying on the fin within 2 weeks of entering fresh water. Just my opinion.
Flymstr;:cool:
:D

T
Troutier Bassier
David Johnson says hes caught coho in the clack while fishing for winters on Feburary. So Im pretty sure there can be some in there right now! I caught a chrome coho at a creek above bonnie a few days before christmas.

H
halibuthitman
Flymstr said:
Well I don't know about late Silvers on the creek in March. I have been there for years, and the latest I ever even saw one was Jan. 3rd this year. I swear there was something real big about a week ago. This fish did not act like a Steelhead, and would not touch anything, then just disappeared. This could have been a Silver. I don't know about what the Bio told you about fish dying only after the spawn. I have watched Kings in AK die from fresh water exposure, and they still have eggs in em'. Maybe something else got em', but then why would they turn so dark and start deteriorating before they spawned. You would think that if they are not effected until they spawn, they would be in better condition. So what you are saying, is that a King salmon can live in fresh water forever if it does not spawn????????? Come on now!!!! I do know that Steelhead can revert back to trout like activities. I know in Ak they are in the system for nearly 8 months before they spawn and return, and they are in real good shape still even after all this time, but the kings are dying on the fin within 2 weeks of entering fresh water. Just my opinion.
:D
explain a 2 salt 70 lb king.... spawned returned to the ocean and did it again..... just like the steel.... something geneticaly let that fish survive a spawn.... just spitballing.... im not a biologest..jut repeating unproved information, you know, like fox news;)

M
metalfisher76
halibuthitman said:
explain a 2 salt 70 lb king.... spawned returned to the ocean and did it again..... just like the steel.... something geneticaly let that fish survive a spawn.... just spitballing.... im not a biologest..jut repeating unproved information, you know, like fox news;)

From what I`ve gathered (from, talking, reading, being:)) 1 salt=1year in the ocean, 2 salt= 2 years, 3 salt = 3 years. I was not taught that it is a 2 salt because it returned to the ocean. Am I reading you right? That is just a return to the ocean IMO. Kings simply get big! I haven`t ever heard of a king returning, not that I don`t think stranger things can happen.:) I`m assuming the bio took scale samples from this "PARTICULAR fish" to know what he was talkin about:think:.
HE SAID FOX NEWS:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I
it ain't called catchin'
silvers in the creek

silvers in the creek

Didn't hook one, but saw one yesterday. Big white patch on head and another on tail. Couldn't believe I was seeing it, but I saw it......swam downstream past my jig, turned around came back up through pool and lay in front of me for 4 or 5 minutes. Definitely a silver. Surprised me, never noticed them in there this late before.

H
halibuthitman
a one and two salt fish, that would be like a pink salmon? wierd, everyone I have fished with refer to the number of spawn and recoveries. But mabe we are wrong. Kings (especially coastal and alaskan fish) spawn sometimes up to three times, I find it very hard to believe that 80% of a run returns in the 20-35 lb range, and then here is this 70 lb fish. Kings return in 4-6 year incriments and often return at 3 yrs as a very small fish and do not spawn. Each time a king spawns it will spend longer at sea, some of the monsters on the kenai have been aged a 12-14 years old. very few salmon remain in the ocean less than two years, so it would be no big deal until it was at least a 5 salt fish then? I wonder if there is a location that the term is explained... im willing to be wrong, it happens to me every 15 minutes....im married.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
the answer is ?

the answer is ?

ok, so I just got off the phone with kevin clark, the manager of the upper yukon salmon fisheries in alaska. I ask kevin what the true meaning of "salt" was... and he laughed. It is the most improperly used term he knows of in sport fishing, and it can change depending on what fish you are talking about. It is in fact considered a year at sea for a steelhead, but as he said how on earth is a person to identify a salt in a fish that can be as old as 21 yrs? Ive never heard of a fifteen salt fish, and it takes up to 4 years ( one as a smolt in fresh water) to reach 18-25 lb mark, and often that requires 7 years with its return to the river and the 2-8 month life and loss of weight in the river and then return to spawn again in the 20+ range. I learned the term salt on the Karluk river in alaska, the guides I fished with refer to a salt as a spawn and return, and in king salmon that way of describing it is common amongst the guys I fish the kasilof with. so in fact a 2 salt steelhead is a 3 year old fish that has lived 1 yr as a smolt in a river and 2 at sea. Im wrong. So im just gonna eleminate the word from my fishing jargon becouse the next guy im talking to will think the other way and I will still be wrong again, and I do that enough at home.:rolleyes: fyi.... he said 35% of kenai kings spawn at least twice. so with that im grabbin my gear and gonna go try to catch a 18 salt fish- good fishin-

F
Flymstr
Explanation

Explanation

halibuthitman said:
explain a 2 salt 70 lb king.... spawned returned to the ocean and did it again..... just like the steel.... something genetically let that fish survive a spawn.... just spitballing.... im not a biologest..jut repeating unproved information, you know, like fox news;)

Ok here you go. A 2 salt fish means that it was in the ocean for two years. In all parts of the northwest, and AK, you have different types of Kings. Some go to the ocean for 1 or 2 years, (Usually known as jacks). There are kings that are 4 salt fish, much like the ones here in Oregon, Washington, Cali, and Southeast Alaska. Then you have the 6 salt fish, these are the Kenai fish, and the other Streams in Ak and parts of the Peninsula, and in a few spots around Oregon and Wash. You need to read some more about this. A salmon can not return to salt after entering fresh water, unless it is an Atlantic Salmon, which do return to salt just like a Steelhead. Check to see if this is what you have read about? Also some bio's say that Steelhead only return one or two times. In the situk, they have taken samples from scales, and genetics and found fish on there fifth time through. I don't really think that anyone truly knows exactly what fish are all about, we have just scratched the surface, and will more than likely never know what they really are all about, as far as there strive to spawn, survive, and have the ability to return to the same spot after being away for up to 6 years at a time. It just amazes me!!!

Pink (Humpy) Salmon: 3 years in salt
Sockeye (red) Salmon: 3 years in salt
Steelhead(Steelhead) Unknown. They don't even know where Steelhead go after they leave the river system
Silvers(Coho) 3 to four years in salt
Kings(Chinook) 1,2,3,4,6 years in salt
Atlantic Salmon: 3 years, then can return again
Chum Salmon(Dog) 4 years in salt

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
well i,ll just leave it the the kids who got a 4.0 to manage it and screw it up, me, I will just keep casting flies with silly names at the ones that find their way back- good fishing

F
Flymstr
Cool. Was not trying to say you were wrong, just what I have been taught throught the years. See ya later. Let me know about that other river, Any news??

O
OnTheDrop
Steelhead(Steelhead) Unknown. They don't even know where Steelhead go after they leave the river system

Completely unknown? Interesting.

F
Flymstr
SteelmonKiller20 said:

Completely unknown? Interesting.
They have an idea, but can't verify it for sure.
They do know they go near Japan, because there high seas drift nets take a lot of our Situk River fish.
FLymstr;:cool:

O
OnTheDrop
They needa put a tracker on one or something. haha, Like the great white shark if anyone knows what im talking about

F
Flymstr
Tracker

Tracker

SteelmonKiller20 said:
They needa put a tracker on one or something. haha, Like the great white shark if anyone knows what im talking about

They have tried in the past, but Steelies go somewhere that the trackers don't work. So they lose em'

O
OnTheDrop
Flymstr said:
They have tried in the past, but Steelies go somewhere that the trackers don't work. So they lose em'

I figured they might have tried, Oh well. You still hitting the creek? if so hows it goin? Havent been able to make it out in a few days:confused:

F
Flymstr
Na

Na

Relaxed the last two days. Going tomorrow.