Siltcoos

R
Resurgent
rogerdodger said:
FYI- here is the legal measurement technique for salmon from the regs, with the tail laid out flat, this gives the minimum possible length:

if the tail is pulled together a bit it can add half an inch or so to the length, and in the ocean, where chinook under 24" and coho under 16" must be released, that improper measurement technique would result in retention of undersized fish...

cheers, roger
Yeah, mine was 24 inches from tip to tale like the graph In the regulations, but when I measured I was holding it by the head. Do you normally lay yours down on a flat surface to measure? I was hoping for 20",so that I could keep fishing :D

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Resurgent said:
Yeah, mine was 24 inches from tip to tale like the graph In the regulations, but when I measured I was holding it by the head. Do you normally lay yours down on a flat surface to measure? I was hoping for 20",so that I could keep fishing :D

no, normally I just do a quick measurement since for obvious adult salmon the length isn't required, only sturgeon and halibut lengths must be recorded on tags.

page 18: " Sturgeon and halibut anglers must record the fish length in inches."

The jack that I caught came up at about 20.25" when I did a quick measurement, which would have meant tagging it, which would have been fine since I still don't have any 2W on my tag this year. after bleeding and bonking it, I laided it out flat to see if it was legally under 20" and it was, just enough that I could legally retain it as a jack...

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fished Tyee today nada zilch! Walked to the mouth after HT and the water is running about 4 inches deep, they could get in if they get past the 6 furbags I saw! Saw no fish in 15 minutes watching!

• DSCN0694.jpg
  • DSCN0695.jpg
  • DSCN0696.jpg
  • DSCN0697.jpg
hobster
hobster
Hey Roger i love your new avatar, i saw quite a few Dead shows back in the day :thumb: Cougs lookin good, just beat the Bruins.

Hijack done

G
getsdwyz
I was told today the lake is sitting around 7 foot five and last week the lady of the dam said she would be opening the dam back up at 7 foot six so look for the river to be running in the next day.

K
killigan
Is anyone thinking about going out this weekend to Siltcoos lake for coho? I was there last Saturday and only caught SRC's. The weekend weather forecast looks promising, but I was not sure if it would be worth the trip over or not. Don't get me wrong, any time on the water is worth it, but having good odds to catch an adult coho in a lake setting is the allure of this outing. Thanks for all updates so far, hope the coho are still on the way.

Tight lines,
killigan

Markk
Markk
I have not heard of anything positive enough to motivate me to get out. But there is only one way to find out for yourself.

G
getsdwyz
Dam has been open for a couple days and there's a lot of water in the lake so the fish should be on the move . I'll be there this weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K
killigan
getsdwyz said:
Dam has been open for a couple days and there's a lot of water in the lake so the fish should be on the move . I'll be there this weekend

To your knowledge, do the coho entering the lake hangout at all? Or do they try to make their way to Maple and Fiddle Creek as quick as possible? Thanks for the update, I plan on making the trip over as well.

Happy fishing,
killigan

G
getsdwyz
There are several places to fish . Common one is to either troll or cast spinners from the second railroad Trussell down to Maplecreek. And on the other side of the lake you can troll or cast spinners around rocky point,Ada and then down to Fiddlecreek.

Markk
Markk
I like to troll plugs in both of those locations. I use hot shots or wiggle warts. Red or a combination of red are my favorites

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
killigan said:
To your knowledge, do the coho entering the lake hangout at all? Or do they try to make their way to Maple and Fiddle Creek as quick as possible? Thanks for the update, I plan on making the trip over as well.

Happy fishing,
killigan

in previous years, in the month of October, we have found them hanging out after entering the lake but I don't know if they do that this late in the season, it is possible that they head for the arms quicker as it gets closer to spawning time, not sure.

good luck everyone, I had planned to fish Friday and Sunday but a nasty cold is keeping me OFF the water for a bit longer...

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
suck it up grandpa! get your butt back in that boat!!!! :lol:

Reactions: rogerdodger
G
getsdwyz
My buddy Kenny knocking the stink off the boat for this year on Siltcoos still not a lot of fish out there.

be9ad21ca3db80ebb839b152dff2f103ff.jpg

B
billfisher
Good deal, glad someone finally got one!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GoBlueFan said:
suck it up grandpa! get your butt back in that boat!!!! :lol:

all right buddy, my son Paul just got engaged so a bit early but I will embrace the new title eventually, I'm sure...

I shook OFF my cold, grabbed my dog, and headed to the lake Sunday morning to bank it, Siltcoos dam is open, river moving, lake level is high, and I did not see much evidence of coho moving up the river and into the lake...I fished Tyee for a bit but no sign of fish...this years coho cohorts class (...2003-2007-2011-2015) does seem to be the weakest of the cycle and this run seems to be confirming that...2011 was our first year fishing Siltcoos coho and all we got was a jack up Fiddle Creek arm...2012 was great, 2013 alright, and 2014 just excellent...all the jacks this year point to lots of 2016 fish out there growing...

I might get out in a boat this week but not sure...I'm still absorbing my QB getting his head slammed into the turf...at least Bender came in and played well..cheers, roger

K
killigan
rogerdodger said:
all right buddy, my son Paul just got engaged so a bit early but I will embrace the new title eventually, I'm sure...

I shook OFF my cold, grabbed my dog, and headed to the lake Sunday morning to bank it, Siltcoos dam is open, river moving, lake level is high, and I did not see much evidence of coho moving up the river and into the lake...I fished Tyee for a bit but no sign of fish...this years coho cohorts class (...2003-2007-2011-2015) does seem to be the weakest of the cycle and this run seems to be confirming that...2011 was our first year fishing Siltcoos coho and all we got was a jack up Fiddle Creek arm...2012 was great, 2013 alright, and 2014 just excellent...all the jacks this year point to lots of 2016 fish out there growing...

I might get out in a boat this week but not sure...I'm still absorbing my QB getting his head slammed into the turf...at least Bender came in and played well..cheers, roger

So, how is the fishing at Tyee? Meaning, is there okay bank access for anglers? And, is it better to fish the high tides? I know the tides don't affect the river level up that far, but was not sure if the fish like entering the lake via the Siltcoos river on low or high tide, or both. Also, on a side tangent, what is your preferred main and leader line # test for fishing Siltcoos coho's? Thanks for the updates.

killigan

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
killigan said:
So, how is the fishing at Tyee? Meaning, is there okay bank access for anglers? And, is it better to fish the high tides? I know the tides don't affect the river level up that far, but was not sure if the fish like entering the lake via the Siltcoos river on low or high tide, or both. Also, on a side tangent, what is your preferred main and leader line # test for fishing Siltcoos coho's? Thanks for the updates.

killigan

Tyee has plenty of bank access but the fish pass by there fairly quickly so fishing along there is feast or famine...the best time to fish the river is when the dam is open and the water is moving, that is when there is the most chance of coho passing by...

before yesterday, I would have said use 12# mono mainline and tie your spinner directly to it. or use 30# braid with a 3' leader of 12# mono. I'm still fine with that trolling out in the lake but in close quarters near shore/structures and also in the river, I'm going to be using 15# or 20# leader...these fish are not leader shy...cheers, roger

N
nwdunerider
Just spoke to a friend that landed 6 adult coho in the lake on Friday the 20th
That was a week ago !!
Sorry for the late report, need to check in with him more often

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
nwdunerider said:
Just spoke to a friend that landed 6 adult coho in the lake on Friday the 20th
That was a week ago !!
Sorry for the late report, need to check in with him more often
6!?!? Jeez what is your friend using?