Siltcoos Lake

T
Thuggin4Life
My buddy somehow has been at a cabin here for like 5 days came into town and told me about it and wants to take my boat down there. I guess he has it for a week or so longer and hasn't even made a cast. I mainly want to do some reacon so i can fish for coho this fall. but i will be there from wednesday afternoon till saturday midday and we be fish most of the time. I mean why not he's gonna tow my boat there. He said the place is loaded with food so I have to go. All i have to do is get boat gas, bait, and put some gas in the jeep for the return trip. And my girfriend has to work but is coming friday and wants to go to the beach anyways so I have the ride back. Its all win win win except I have never fished here and have no idea what i should try doing first. From what I understand there is a wide variety of fish in this body of water. Anyways anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated.

D
Drew9870
Siltcoos Lake is actually my favorite lake.

It used to be the best fishing for Perch, LM Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, and big 20 inch Brown Bullheads, until 94 or 96 when it flooded a lot more than usual. Just use a slide sinker rig for perch and trout, or just troll a pink wedding ring with a worm.

What campground will you be staying at? Nightengales is a nice place with nice people and the owner is a good friend of my grandparents. Nightengales also holds a Perch tournament, which me and my family attend every year.

T
Thuggin4Life
I'm not sure which campground, won't know till I get there. Not even sure its a campground. Sounded like there were several cabins where I'm going. Also I heard this lake is very weedy.

C
Chedster
Headed over to Siltcoos lake this weekend with my dad and it was slow. We usually do pretty good with trout and bass but we did not touch much for some reason. In my experience it's not very weedy but we spent more time trolling for trout

D
Drew9870
That lake does get pretty choked out with weeds, but there are lakes that get worse. If you fish in 15 feet of water or more, you don't have to worry about them because the sun can't penetrate down that far to provide food for the weeds. But the problem is, Siltcoos only gets 22 feet deep in the deepest spot (pretty strange for the biggest lake on the Oregon coast), so finding a spot with little to no weeds is difficult.

I bet the campground you will be staying at is called Westlake Resort, it is the best known campground on Siltcoos, but I have never visited it.

T
Troutweiser is lifeblood
Thuggin',
i've heard siltcoos has some great fishing, 'specially if you have a boat. delicious yellow perch and rainbows

but if you are going to be on the coast for more than a couple days,
go across the road to carter lake (your day pass is good at all the coastal lakes). Carter is about 8 Mi. south of florence on the west side of 101. i have had some excellent luck there in the last couple years.

Also: there are many many lakes up and down that part of the coast, within 10 miles north and south of florence... google florence chamber of commerce (site) for extensive info on many of those lakes that i'm referring to.

another resource that can be good to check is the ODFW site for stocking schedules in the NW zone, that in conjunction with the florence chamber site with locate you some seriously tasty stockers (or as i guess a lot of folks around here call 'pelletheads') but within the stocking schedules, if you look closely, there are 3 columns, one for 'legal' (bout 8-9") the second for 'larger' (bout 10-12" i think) and the third column is 'trophy' (generally 15-16").
i caught one of the trophies up at alder/dune lakes (3 mi. north of florence), gave it to my Ma, who is a 3-4 decade trout coneisseur, and she said it was delish...

happy coastal fishing, its a fav of mine, but remember!...Use your internet resources :think:

~jacK

J
JeannaJigs
super weedy, but that's what you get with a shallow lake. I've got a map I can send to ya I drew up for a buddy of mine a few years ago, mostly applies to coho, but it'll put you in the right direction for some large rainbows and cutts, some bass too. If nothing else the weather is supposed to be excellent, so you're lucking out there, great weather to be out on a boat on a lake.

T
Thuggin4Life
Soooo bummed apparently the trip has been called OFF. I need to find out why so I can see if I can salvage it. All have is a text so far saying no trip. Thanks for the advice guys.

F
fishndad
if you end up going you could head over to tahkenitch this saturday for the derby there will be a few poeple there from off!

J
JeannaJigs
fishndad said:
if you end up going you could head over to tahkenitch this saturday for the derby there will be a few poeple there from off!
I was thinkin' about hitting up Tahkenitch this weekend, but...the chinook are in, and it's less gas to hit up the mac.

F
fishndad
JeannaJigs said:
I was thinkin' about hitting up Tahkenitch this weekend, but...the chinook are in, and it's less gas to hit up the mac.

no hard feelings lol, good luck to ya!

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks, you too! (I know I'm gonna need it) You guys should have some pretty good success over there this weekend.

F
fishndad
JeannaJigs said:
Thanks, you too! (I know I'm gonna need it) You guys should have some pretty good success over there this weekend.

yeah ive snuck over there two or three times and got fish over 4 lbs each time so it will be even better this time im sure!

J
JeannaJigs
I'm thinking of doing a Siltcoos/Tahkenitch/Tenmile weekend in June

T
Thuggin4Life
Yup trip is OFF for sure. So know I turn my attention back to the high lakes and wait for the pieces to all fall together. Maybe a morning at Odell set up camp at Wickiup and fish for a few days. Or a few days at Wickiup and an evening at Odell on the way down. Either way sounds good to me!

Last edited:
F
fishndad
Thuggin4Life said:
Yup trip is OFFfor sure. So know I turn my attention back to the high lakes and wait for the pieces to all fall together. Maybe a morning at Odell set up camp at Wickiup and fish for a few days. Or a few days at Wickiup and an evening at Odell on the way down. Either way sounds good to me!

good luck bud, i hope ya do well!

D
Drew9870
JeannaJigs said:
super weedy, but that's what you get with a shallow lake. I've got a map I can send to ya I drew up for a buddy of mine a few years ago, mostly applies to coho, but it'll put you in the right direction for some large rainbows and cutts, some bass too. If nothing else the weather is supposed to be excellent, so you're lucking out there, great weather to be out on a boat on a lake.

Thanks a lot for the offer,

But my grandpa loves that lake and he has a few maps of it, I pretty much have a map of it in my mind also.....

Jeanna, have you ever been to Nightengales fish camp? They have a pretty good Coho run, I have only been there one season for Coho, but I hooked a 32 incher right off the dock.

J
JeannaJigs
I live on that lake (Alternating my sundays and saturdays between Tahkenitch and Siltcoos) almost every weekend in october and november, I'm absolutely, positively in love with the coho run that lake has. I'm familiar with nightengales fish camp (That's the one on the east shore of the maple creek arm, right?), but usually don't go up the maple creek arm there seems to be a lot more pressure up there. I've had really good success down by the west shore of booth island, and up the fiddle creek arm later in the season. The south east side of webber island (that grass floatillla) has produced a few times, in 3-4 feet of water. Not to mention the river, that's really fun to throw some big ol' spinners in, and this fall I'm going to try some jigs I tied up myself.

T
Timber
Okay, you've got me going. Siltcoos has been my favorite place to fish since about 1970. I've gone there every since and have always stayed at Westlake Resort. Since they re-opened the lake for wild coho, I have been successful every year except for last year. Fiddle Creek and the gap at the north end of Booth Island have produced fish for me. I've fished Maple Creek by Nightengales and it does get a little crowded. Too bad the perch have been on a downhill slide over the past few years but I will give it another try come August. Hopefully the lake will rebound for all of the other fishing that is available.

J
JeannaJigs
Is it November yet?