Siltcoos Lake mid December worth a try?

CARPCOMMANDER
CARPCOMMANDER
My birthday is next weekend was considering taking my boat out to try the siltcoos for trout and possibly yellow perch? Is it worth it? Any tips you could offer would be greatly apreciated thanks guys

C_Run
C_Run
You could catch wild coho right now.

hobster
hobster
Coho run has been horrible so far this year, but it is a possibility. SRC fishing has been very good, troll spinners and you should have some luck!

troutdude
troutdude
FYI Two rods per person is NOT legal, during Coho season. Dodgers and worms is another option, for SRC's. Perch fishing is fast n' furious in the Spring--around reed beds. Bobber and worms knocks 'em dead. But am not sure how active they are, at this time of year.

CARPCOMMANDER
CARPCOMMANDER
If I didn't bring my boat do you think I could bank it for src? And What lures would you recommend? Thanks again guys

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
CARPCOMMANDER;n614872 said:
If I didn't bring my boat do you think I could bank it for src? And What lures would you recommend? Thanks again guys

SRC run is over, they are 'colored up' and moving on to spawning up in the tributaries. Yellow Perch population is way down in Siltcoos right now and they all but stopped planting rainbows several years ago: (Siltcoos and Tahkenitch are not "plant and take" trout fisheries anymore, they are managed for the coho runs.) Unfortunately, weather and ocean conditions resulted in very poor coho runs this year.

Best bet right now is look for early winter steelhead in coastal rivers that they are showing up in..cheers, roger.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Colored up?

• photo32810.jpg
hobster
hobster
:whs: SRC's were running strong a couple week ago, but Roger knows the scoop. My apologies

troutdude
troutdude
Yep; Roger is the resident expert there. You can bank on his advice. <nice punny huh...lol>

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Hers a few caught this week!

Reactions: Admin
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
The Coho run just started a week a go!

CARPCOMMANDER
CARPCOMMANDER
Those were caught out of the siltcoos?

troutdude
troutdude
SHINY! (also a Firefly reference for my fellow sci-fi geeks...lol)

P.S. Siltcoos is one of but a couple of lakes with a Coho run, which go into the creeks to spawn.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
CARPCOMMANDER;n614901 said:
Those were caught out of the siltcoos?

The last week!

F
Fred
GaryP1958;n614875 said:
Colored up?
SRC means sea run cutts right?

F
Fred
GaryP1958;n614896 said:
Hers a few caught this week!

Nice looking fish

hobster
hobster
troutdude
troutdude
CARPCOMMANDER ... in May, when the season opens...try fishing about 1/4 below the Fern Ridge outlet. There are some biggies in the Long Tom River right there.