Siltcoos coho 2020

K
kwikfisher
The rain this weekend might kick off the Silver run, yes?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
not sure, they have scaled back significantly on how much rain we are expecting to get and much of it will just soak into the dry soil. water was quite low when I check the launch last week. That said, Pepper and I are planning to spend next Tuesday or Wednesday at the lake, depends on what the wind does, but just checking the weeds and depths in all the coho locations, not really expecting many, if any, coho in there yet.

Sept.27:
R8TDqVC.jpg

hobster
hobster
Damn that is low. Come on rain!

K
kwikfisher
Thanks Roger,
I'll watch the rain....Very unique fishery that Siltcoos...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Oct14- water level up nicely from the rain but river not moving and no rain predicted for a week or so.
I wasn't expecting any coho; didn't find any. I was testing out new kayak wheels (Boonedox Landing Gear) and an aluminum rudder that both worked great; Pepper and I checked the whole lake going counterclockwise- less algae, more weeds, 64F water.

We did find this shiny boy at the top of Fiddle creek arm. Full marks if you know what he is.

bMKDPgJ.jpg

ysGno5g.jpg

Bopb5bU.jpg

Reactions: Admin
hobster
hobster
That’s a nice fish! The scales look cohoish, not sure what it is. Looks to big to be a blueback yes?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
big old cutthroat buck! the big red stripe and red gill plate hint at a rainbow but it had teeth on its tongue and body shape (long for the head/tail size) hinted at a fish that has spent some time feasting in the ocean but not necessarily this year, it might have stayed up in Fiddle Creek area all year, just for fun I guess. :cool:

E
Edge
what is the normal thing to use to catch them spinfish, herring, twitching jigs ? I have only been one time below dam in 1980.

Thanks for any info.

N
nwdunerider
not sure you can fish below the dam
We troll the lakes with wiggle warts / orange flat fish / spinners

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I get most my Siltcoos coho casting spinners near shore in several areas around the lake. Also get one occasionally trolling the same spinners when I am moving from one location to another. pink/silver and orange/gold great on sunny days, darker colors and all black spinners on dark stormy days. same for wiggle warts and other small plugs.

The regs set the 101 bridge as the deadline, from Oct.1 to Dec.31 each year, above that bridge is the 'lake' and open for coho, trout, bass, and perch, below that closed. cheers, roger

E
Edge
Any changes Lately ? Thanks!!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I stopped by the launch today and the water level is about the same and river was not moving. Significant rain would be nice. soon.

U
Upnorth
kwikfisher said:
The rain this weekend might kick off the Silver run, yes?
Hey and Good morning. Any reports on the coho, the rain is coming down. Have they moved in. I fished siltcoos on nov 12 and the lake had some more water, but no fish. I did see a few in the creek. Are the gates open?

E
Edge
looks like a few fish have moved in, according to Darlings marina.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the week before Thanksgiving week was very good, things slowed down some this week as rain pushed lots of fish into their spawning creeks. seems like there are some coho in the lakes and passing through but they are spread out based on my outings.

H
hubt84
Fished Siltcoos Saturday. No fish action, but did have a little excitement. I was leaving Ada going toward Nightingale’s and came around the corner and slowed down to stop and pitch some spinners into the weeds before I trolled my way over. As I slowed down a shotgun blast and pellets scattered across the water in front of my boat maybe 30-40 yards in front. Then a guy stands up from the weeds and stairs me down. I never even seen him. He scared the hell out off me. When he stood up and stared me down that told me he was trying to make a point that I wasn’t welcome there. This is a spot I regularly fish ever year. No words were exchanged but there was a lot I wanted to say. Honestly I was kinda scared... I had a fishing pole he had a Shotgun. I obviously don’t fish the spot I wanted to, just moved on down and started trolling.

E
Edge
911 would be my first response,

H
hubt84
Edge said:
911 would be my first response,
The duck hunting on the lake has really become more popular with more hunters over the last few years. I know a few residence on the lake and I shared my story with them. They shared there thoughts with me about the duck hunters, and the were not good 😳, but what can they do....
Just continue to have shotgun blasts as a wake up alarm at sun rise on the weekend.

I hunt and wear safety orange so other hunters can see me. If he was visible and I seen him I wouldn’t of even stop to fish there...

E
Edge
making a point by shooting a shotgun near you when there are no ducks flying ? that wouldn't fly with me.

Reactions: Snopro
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hubt84 said:
Fished Siltcoos Saturday. No fish action, but did have a little excitement. I was leaving Ada going toward Nightingale’s and came around the corner and slowed down to stop and pitch some spinners into the weeds before I trolled my way over. As I slowed down a shotgun blast and pellets scattered across the water in front of my boat maybe 30-40 yards in front. Then a guy stands up from the weeds and stairs me down. I never even seen him. He scared the hell out off me. When he stood up and stared me down that told me he was trying to make a point that I wasn’t welcome there. This is a spot I regularly fish ever year. No words were exchanged but there was a lot I wanted to say. Honestly I was kinda scared... I had a fishing pole he had a Shotgun. I obviously don’t fish the spot I wanted to, just moved on down and started trolling.

very unfortunate. I fish Siltcoos and Tahk probably 20 days each year during coho/duck hunting season and so far, have had only positive interactions with people hunting. Several times, while working along the shoreline from my kayak, I have come across someone in a boat-blind, they usually stand up, wave, make sure I see them, which allows me to quietly adjust to give them more space as I pass by and continue fishing.

as for the interaction you describe, putting on my faded old ODFW Angling Instructor hat, I believe (at a minimum) that they violated the Oregon law against obstructing someone legally fishing or hunting:
-----------------------------

ORS 496.994. Unlawful to obstruct the taking of wildlife​

(1) A person commits the offense of obstructing the taking of wildlife if the person, having no right to do so, interferes with the lawful taking, or the process of taking, of wildlife by another with the intent to prevent the taking.

(2) Obstructing the taking of wildlife is a Class A misdemeanor.
----------------------------

this law goes both ways, someone fishing can't intentionally interfere with or threaten someone hunting, just as someone hunting cannot interfere with or threaten someone legally fishing.

cheers, roger

Reactions: Markk