Siltcoos brute handed me my...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Today, I got my a** totally handed to me today by a huge coho on Siltcoos...the morning started cold with some big rain squalls, so I suited up and hit the lake early in the kayak, by 1pm I had put in 5 hours of pedaling and fishing all our favorite casting spots near shore and trolled to the Fiddle Creek Arm and back and absolutely no action. So I'm working my way down the west shore in rain/sun/hail/sun..and I've accepted that with no sign of coho, I just need to enjoy the rest of the day.
Then I get back to our favorite casting bay, working near shore between wood pilings, I cast to some lilly pads, retrieve 10 feet and the lure stops dead, like it hit a log, then a little shake, like it is sliding on a weed, then all hell breaks loose! This monster takes off and heads between 2 pilings and I am tightening the drag like crazy to turn it before it reaches a dock and I do get it stopped but it starts pulling me and the kayak through some broken off pilings. No worries, focus, I make a bit of progress but it has different ideas and takes off for a boat and dock and as it gets closer I have no choice but to try and turn it by grabbing the spool and it's getting under the dock and snap...12pound CXX Xtra Strong leader finally breaks (at well above it tensile strength)...and I am sitting there in my kayak thinking "full marks my friend, you owned me from the start and handed me my a** and I hope you make it to the spawning grounds and pass your genetics along to the next generation so that I can battle with them several years from now".

Last edited by a moderator:
S
sapo
great report

T
Toyracer38
Great report. Soooo wish you had video of that.

G
getsdwyz
It's just been a crazy season really have to work for this year on siltcoos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Toyracer38 said:
Great report. Soooo wish you had video of that.

Soooo do I but just can't have the GoPro running all the time and I had been working my way along the west shore for a good 45 minutes at that point, hundreds of casts, rotating 3 rods (pink when the sun was out, blue in between light, 'magic black spinner' during dark/rain)...then a 'totally nothing' day turned into 'biggest coho I have ever hooked' day...it was pink by the way, the "Pretty Girl" Wordens Vibric SST lure that BiMart sells...

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
That sounds fun roger. Wish there were more opportunities this year.

troutdude
troutdude
That, my friend, is why it's not called catching--and also the very reason, why we're all onboard this crazy train!

Best wishes, for the next encounter.

P.S. Loved how you called the play-by-play by the way! Made me feel like I was in the stands; cheering for the home team!

Last edited:
EOBOY
EOBOY
troutdude said:
P.S. Loved how you called the play-by-play by the way! Made me feel like I was in the stands; cheering for the home team!

2X

B
billfisher
Great effort in your yak! Another memory you'll never forget. Good times! Thanks for the post.

Markk
Markk
I would have liked to seen that fish!

T
troutmasta
Good stuff Roger!

Sounds like a slug indeed-

P
playhooky
Markk said:
I would have liked to seen that fish!

Likewise.....whatever it was it was definitely allergic to yak sillouetts! Probably dodged a few sharks out in the big pool. Needed some heavier leader and a rod with a little more backbone. And I thought steelhead were elusive! [emoji50]

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
before yesterday, this is the largest coho that I had ever hooked, a Siltcoos buck last year that taped at 32", handled it well with the same rod/reel/leader/spinner...yesterdays fish would have kicked sand in this guys face and laughed...if only he had made a little run out into the open water, I would have gained just enough advantage...oh well.

troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
before yesterday, this is the largest coho that I had ever hooked, a Siltcoos buck last year that taped at 32".

Shiny!

P
playhooky
rogerdodger said:
before yesterday, this is the largest coho that I had ever hooked, a Siltcoos buck last year that taped at 32", handled it well with the same rod/reel/leader/spinner...yesterdays fish would have kicked sand in this guys face and laughed...if only he had made a little run out into the open water, I would have gained just enough advantage...oh well.

Yup....just depends on the beast with the barb in it. I just wish you'd have won that rodeo. That had to be one gnarley a Silver. Oh well, you'll be bonk'n the next one!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
at the last minute, I got an all day fishing pass on Thanksgiving from my wife, so faster then I could say "huck the fuskies", I was OFF to the lake in my kayak and fished the whole west shore from 10am to 4pm, trolling and casting all the spots that have produced fish for us since 2012.

Smooth water on a beautiful sunny T-day but just no fish willing to play with me.

this is where I got abused on Tuesday, I hooked the brute just OFF the reeds at the very right, he ran left through the pilings into the open water where my lure is in this image, then straight for that boat and I could not stop him before he got under it...very shallow in here, maybe 3' of water above a solid bed of weeds.

River was moving good on Thursday and lake down a foot or so since Tuesday....cheers, roger

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Dang man, Im reading all these reports and cruising the forum in general and can't wait to get a line in the water again. This rain of late is killing me!!!!! Nice report Roger, thank you!

Cheers,

Chris