Siltcoos Aug-13

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
quick kayak trip to Siltcoos today to see if there are any SCR in the lake (there are...:thumb:), water level is normal, no algae, water temp 72F (last year on Oct.1, I had it at 67F)...cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
Roger,

Did you mean SRC's? If so...did you bag any?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude said:
Roger,

Did you mean SRC's? If so...did you bag any?

yes, SRC, got 2 (10", 14") and lost 2 others...

S
sparky
Thanks for the birthday notice!!!!

Got up early enough to watch some meteors.
Put the boat on Wallowa Lake (Joseph, Oregon) at sunrise. Dead flat calm water. B E A utiful.
Smoke from fires to the south, couldn't see the other end of the lake 3 miles away.

It was like this one fish was following me around as I trolled my preferred spot.
Lots of bites and nibbles, but nothing on the hook and in the boat.

That's ok. Now I know where you are. I'll be back.
;)

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I thought SRC where much bigger I get them that size all the time on a creek north of here and I release them. By the way no salmon are being caught on the Slaw!:D

hobster
hobster
Thanks for the update Roger, i'll be camping at Takkenitch next weekend. I'll be fishing for something, not sure what yet but i gotta bust out the ol bug wand for sure!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SRC in Siltcoos don't seem to get very large, 10" to 14" seems the norm, I think 16" is my largest but wow are they tasty! and the warmer water in the lake has not changed that, the two that I caught yesterday had firm orange flesh and were delicious...cheers, roger

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I suppose fishing the river west of 101 would be good for fly fishing?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
I suppose fishing the river west of 101 would be good for fly fishing?

Siltcoos river is slow shallow weed filled thing, not sure how it would fish. West of 101 bridge the river closes on October 1 when the coho season opens.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fished the west shore Sunday Sept27, picked up 3 more 12" SRC for the freezer, lake is down to 65F and water level still normal/full (good news due to lack of rain). weeds are going to make it a challenge to troll along the west shore this year, especially off the marina, outlet, and bay by FishMill Lodge, the weeds do thin out as you get down closer to Booth Island...roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
FYI update- I fished opening day as usual, took the "Coho Bandit" this year, no coho jumping at Lodgepole yet (the picnic area below the dam), none observed in the lake today, but I picked up a cracker SRC just in from the ocean, thought it might be a coho jack the way it hit! (8" perch came home also)...roger

G
getsdwyz
Nice fish Rodger I will be down next week nice to know there are some SRC getting into the lake

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
checked Lodgepole at 9am Sunday hoping to see the first coho roll/jump of the year but still nothing for certain. we did hear one splash just out of view that could have been a fish or just a duck...probably hit the river mostly this week but also try the lake now and then...roger