Siltcoos and Tahkenitch

J
JeannaJigs
So as to stop hijacking Qwapa's thread about the Siuslaw, lets give the lakes their own little home, they'll appreciate it.

billfish said:
hey jeanna jigs we should start a siltcoos thread there coming soon iv herd or a few being landed we need more rain so they will open the damn

Dam usually opens around the 15th each year, it's privately owned by international paper. Even though there's a fish ladder, these fish are half braindead, 'cause the majority of them don't use it until that dam is opened up. Peak season is the first part of November in previous years, though it's all dependent on rainfall and tides, and in my experience, the end of november when the water drops to around 50 degrees, you could hit these fish in the head with a plug and they'd still have lockjaw, even though they're in there in massive numbers. That's when you switch to steelhead on the rivers :) Hooray for the endless fishing season.

I think i'll be making my first trip over there on the 18th since I get the pleasure of working the saturday of the 17th. Might check out the river and see how many fish are stacked below the dam, i'm betting there's quite a few, if the numbers on the Siuslaw are any indication. Plus the last two years, we had a TON of jacks in both lakes..hopefully this year, there will be a surge of those 36 inchers. One can hope!

B
billfish
thanx for the thread :dance:i sure am looking forward fishing the lakes this year . and you have very reliable info . see you on the water .

F
fishin_fool
Awesome Jeanna I will be watching this thread and hopefully I can convince my brother to coming down that way to bonk a few with ya...
Mike

M
Mike123
Im definitely gonna check out these lakes in a week or so... :dance:

T
Timber
Once again, a slow website. Due to some medical concerns, I won't be able to take my annual first of November trip to Siltcoos. But, the good news for me anyway, is that I going in the middle of October. It's weird, the best luck I've had has always been in October. I drag purple hotshots like, they did years ago, and it has always paid off. Lookout Rocky Point! The lake is my favorite although I miss the perch. Let's hope for some good rain and get the regulating dam open.

Many years ago, I saw the water boiling at the outlet with salmon all over the place. I was duck hunting at the time and didn't have the gear for the big fish. This was before they closed it down for salmon for a few years. My wife's uncle caught one jigging for crappie off of the dock at Westlake Resort - many years ago. We also used to catch jacks fishing for perch in the afternoon after hunting. What a great place.

J
JeannaJigs
I personally prefer Tahkenitch to Siltcoos, but that's me. It's a way more scenic lake. Both produce large numbers of fish however, and you fish both lakes with the same lures and same technique

J
JeannaJigs
Gonna take my pitbull and bank fish the Siuslaw in the morning, though I don't know the river level, so if it's still super low, which i think it is, and I can't fish my preferred holes (that are probably still non existant, where is the rain!?!), i might head over and check out the siltcoos river, to see what's goin' on over there...Will report one way or the other.

T
Timber
Heading to Siltcoos the 22nd, and it's supposed to rain beforehand. Go ahead and bash me, but why in the world would you want to take a pitbull fishing let alone own one? They are a breed that should be exterminated. Sorry for the possible hijack, but it raises my hackles.

Reactions: Fishydog
J
JeannaJigs
Excuse me? Based on the above comments, I hope to never run into you on the water, because anyone that generalizes in such a negative way is definitely not someone I'd like to swap stories with. Why would I take a pitbull fishing? because she's my dog that I've had for 7 years, and I take her fishing because she's my companion and she enjoys it, that may be why...I also have a labrador and a dachshund, I don't suppose you think they need to be exterminated too? Do explain why it's a breed that needs to be exterminated. One might say the same about whatever breed of dog it is that you own. That is completely uncalled for, and I genuinley do not appreciate such remarks. I don't care if you have an issue, but to attack me for taking my dog, whom is a member of my family with me, or for even allowing her to be alive.....that is NOT okay!!

Reactions: beaverfan and Fishydog
B
beaverfan
JeannaJigs said:
Excuse me? Based on the above comments, I hope to never run into you on the water, because anyone that generalizes in such a negative way is definitely not someone I'd like to swap stories with. Why would I take a pitbull fishing? because she's my dog that I've had for 7 years, and I take her fishing because she's my companion and she enjoys it, that may be why...I also have a labrador and a dachshund, I don't suppose you think they need to be exterminated too? Do explain why it's a breed that needs to be exterminated. One might say the same about whatever breed of dog it is that you own. That is completely uncalled for, and I genuinley do not appreciate such remarks. I don't care if you have an issue, but to attack me for taking my dog, whom is a member of my family with me, or for even allowing her to be alive.....that is NOT okay!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

B
Bfishin
Timber said:
Heading to Siltcoos the 22nd, and it's supposed to rain beforehand. Go ahead and bash me, but why in the world would you want to take a pitbull fishing let alone own one? They are a breed that should be exterminated. Sorry for the possible hijack, but it raises my hackles.

There is much ignorance in this above statement.

T
Thuggin4Life
My neighbor complained about the pit tied up in my backyard and tryed to get me in trouble. But she was in heat so i couldn't let her in my house and my buddy was having a hard time keeping the male dog were he stayed away from her. I live in a duplex without a fence to separate the back yards just a sidewalk. And my neighbor has two dogs. One is some kind of collie looking dog and the other is one of those "family" dogs of a mix of some kind. I guess she was scared for her dogs and the fact that she had to come on my side to turn on the sprinklers. Had she came over she would have been killed with kindness. And all my buddys dog would have done to her dogs is tried to play. In fact my friends dog is more friendly than her dogs by far. Pitbulls are over rated as killing machines. I remember when my grandma used to complain about every rot she ever saw but every rot i have seen my friends and family own has been nice. I could raise a lab to be a killer but you don't here people hating on labs. Dogs are like people. people aren't born evil its in how there raised and the same goes for dogs. dobbies are suposably evil dogs so you better tell your grandma that the mini dobbie she has is secretly plotting to kill her in her sleep.

M
masmith
I hate to involve myself in this, but I feel I need to. The problem is that pitbulls are bred to have aggressive/violent tendencies. It has nothing to do with how they are raised, or their owners, but rather the genetics of the breed.

Huskies are bred to pull, Labs to retrieve, Border Collie to herd, Pitbull to fight. It's simply a fact of nature. Doesn't make you bad for owning one- but I would argue breeding them is wrong as there is no place for breeding an aggressive breed (not protective aggression, it is impulsive dog to human/ dog to dog aggression) other then dog fighting- which recently has lost its mainstream popularity to say the least.

A
autofisher
OK I was thinking about heading over there sometime this season, but if there are gonna be dog fights and dog owner fights, I'll be sittin this one out. If you guys want to argue about dogs, we can start another thread. But can some one please please tell me more about these lakes that I somehow missed when I lived in Reedsport? And trust me, I have my opinions on this topic. I just don't think that this thread is the place for it. Just sayin..

J
JeannaJigs
autofisher said:
OK I was thinking about heading over there sometime this season, but if there are gonna be dog fights and dog owner fights, I'll be sittin this one out. If you guys want to argue about dogs, we can start another thread. But can some one please please tell me more about these lakes that I somehow missed when I lived in Reedsport? And trust me, I have my opinions on this topic. I just don't think that this thread is the place for it. Just sayin..

Agreed, I shouldn't have jumped on it as I did...but internet threads have an ADD tendency to get way off track, and in the moment i was greatly offended. However, moving forward. I started this thread to begin with, to report on the lakes, as pretty much no one ever talks about them, and they're a great fishery. Tomorrow, I am going fishing over there and am hoping to have a decent report. Though the rains don't start until monday :( ....Friday I'm usin' a vacation day, and I will be taking the 'rents boat out at first light and am thinking the weeks rain will be just enough to get the fish movin' in. I'm know for sure they're already in the Siltcoos river, but I imagine the numbers are not many above the dam. Gonna go check out the dam and see how many are stacked. I think friday i'm gonna hit Tahkenitch though, it's a much better lake in my opinion, and it doesn't have the pressure Siltcoos does (think, only one monkey in a $40,000 boat, versus 25 at Siltcoos). Plus, it's a slightly earlier run. Another thing is I'm not certain about the algae situation, but I was over there in September, and Siltcoos looked a nice baby poop green, which the last time it looked like that...it turned into a full blown bloom of blue green algae through the peak of the Coho run, which hey if you want to eat fish that come from that, more power to ya, but you won't see me doin' it. Maybe a small trout, but not a fish with as much fat content as a Coho. So tomorrow more than anything is a trip to do some trail maintenance on the Siuslaw since I know the river is still a trickle, and then scout the lakes, and toss a few spinners. Perhaps I'll get lucky with an early fish. Historically, the earliest I've caught anything has been the 15th of October, with the brunt of my tagged fish coming the last week of October and first two weeks of November, but it's been a wierd year, and the Coho have completely taken over the Siuslaw, so it's looking promising for the lakes. How did you miss them living in Reedsport?! lol they're right there. Granted, the Coho fishery was closed for I don't know how many years, before re-opening in I think 2003...Think that's the first year I was over there? Might've been '04...but either way it hasn't been open for very long. Hands down my favorite fall fishery. I'd say it's my favorite fishery of all time, but then that'd be a lie...but it almost is.

T
towne821
Timber said:

By the way You are a dip $%@%.

have you ever owned that type of dog?

Doesn't sound like it.

Pitbull is not a breed! yes it is a type of dog.

eg: american staffordshire terrier, american pitbull terrier, american

stafforshire bull terrier, argentine dogo. just to name a few.

your commi way of thinking will get you in some serious trouble some day!

before you open your mouth why don't you do a little reaserch!

tell me what dog bites the most in the US?

a hint: it's not a pitbull! try your beloved black lab! (info from the DHS)

next why doesn't the police force use them as attack dogs if they are so

viscous? Because the are very timmed towards humans! Thats why the piece of s@#$ dog fighters fight them

because the won't turn on their masters, they want the varmit or dog at the owners command. they are one

of the most loyal dogs on the planet! Have you ever seen A pitbull muzzled? if you say yes your lying!

Dobermans and german sheperds have way more attack deaths than pitbulls.

Try and take my pits from me and you'll see why Eugene

Stoner become famous!!!!!!!

Remember in the 80's when the doberman was the vicious killer, and in the 90's it was the german shepered!

now the commi liberal tell me how to live media are going after pits. Life is funny sometimes!

by the way you are a @$# *$#!

Last edited:
T
tbox

Last edited:
T
towne821
I would think the salmon and cutthroat are OK to eat with the blue green

algea,

they are only in the lake for a short time.

the trout are the ones to worry about.

my freind has a house on N. loftus Rd and they tell me the algea is a 10 year

cycle.

there neighbor has lived in Florence for 6o years and he has kept/ate the

salmon during the algea cycle everytime it accures.

he's 90 now and still fishin' and kickin'

T
Timber
To all those that I have offended, I sincerely apologize. My rash statement should have never appeared on this thread. I really feel bad for causing such discussion and it will never happen again.

T
Thuggin4Life
towne821 said:
I would think the salmon and cutthroat are OK to eat with the blue green

algea,

they are only in the lake for a short time.

the trout are the ones to worry about.

my freind has a house on N. loftus Rd and they tell me the algea is a 10 year

cycle.

there neighbor has lived in Florence for 6o years and he has kept/ate the

salmon during the algea cycle everytime it accures.

he's 90 now and still fishin' and kickin'

That makes sense to me.