Siletz River in a drift boat

S
Steelheader4Life
Hi all,

I recently purchased a drift boat and I plan on making a trip or two to the Siletz for some summer steelie fishin. What would be a good drift for a beginner?

S
SantiamDrifter
The Town drift.

J
Johnny Southpaw
I've never fished the Siletz from a boat-but I know a lot of people put in at Moonshine Park. There's another boat launch a few river miles downstream from Moonshine as well. As far as taking out-I have no clue. From what I know the Siletz isn't too bad as far as dangerous water goes (excluding the gorge, i.e. upstream from Moonshine) but I could be wrong. At any rate, tight lines out there.

S
SantiamDrifter
Moonshines is tougher. You'll want to learn more before you go up there. It goes Moonshine to Twin bridges. TB's to Illahee park( the town of siletz). Then the Town drift, Which is Illahee to Mill park. Then Mill park to some bridge I wont try spelling. Ok I will , its like ojha brigde. This is a rope slide. Then down to morgan park, which is the head of tide water.

A guide did sink his boat on the Siletz this year. On a fairly easy corner. Just goes to show you, even the best go down.

S
steelhead1
Around town drift is perfect for cutting your teeth,IMO.And you dont need a shuttle! I would avoid the moonshine drift for now,as there is a nasty drop that likes the taste of fishermen and their gear.....

F
FishFiddle
I have done the around town float. Not bad, but if you are really novice I would do the Jefferson to I5 bridge on the Santiam first. Just my 2 Cents. I am pretty close to Jefferson so might even meet there and or do a shuttle for ya if you need. Good Luck. I might even meet you in Siletz sometime to do the town trip.

S
SantiamDrifter
FishFiddle said:
I have done the around town float. Not bad, but if you are really novice I would do the Jefferson to I5 bridge on the Santiam first. Just my 2 Cents. I am pretty close to Jefferson so might even meet there and or do a shuttle for ya if you need. Good Luck. I might even meet you in Siletz sometime to do the town trip.

Actually the Tree stump above the confluence's collected another tree about 3 weeks ago. Its making it a real tight squeeze.

* I just noticed you said jefferson down. So a warning, From Greens Bridge down, Its a little tight.

F
FishFiddle
yep

yep

Yes, I would not do the Greens bridge for a first float right now. The Tree at the forks and another just up the N. fork could be scary for a newbie. You can walk your boat around both of them if you stay to the right bank. The Jefferson to I5 is the one I would recommend for a first run.

B
Bucknasty
I think an even easier drift on the siletz would be old mill to ojala, or ojala to morgan.. probably the two easiest floats on the river, yes there is frog water but there is also good steel water too!!!Ojala's boat ramp is very steep and will require rope work if your taking out there (and usually some person lacking a large portion of there brain parks there car blocking the boat ramp access requiring them to purchase a new paint job) but putting in at ojala just back down a bit and push : ) these were my first two floats, Moonshine to twin bridges is probably the most difficult on the river. cheers, Bob

Troutski
Troutski
Teachers...

Teachers...

Bucknasty said:
I think an even easier drift on the siletz would be old mill to ojala, or ojala to morgan.. probably the two easiest floats on the river, yes there is frog water but there is also good steel water too!!!Ojala's boat ramp is very steep and will require rope work if your taking out there (and usually some person lacking a large portion of there brain parks there car blocking the boat ramp access requiring them to purchase a new paint job) but putting in at ojala just back down a bit and push : ) these were my first two floats, Moonshine to twin bridges is probably the most difficult on the river. cheers, Bob

Nicely said, sharing is what this site was built on. Kudos:clap::clap:

Chuck

J
JeannaJigs
I did the Twin Bridges to Illahee this winter, super easy float with no surprises, other than shallow riffles that I ended up dragging bottom on a bit, damaging my plug resulting in a fun slow leak the rest of the day. What genius decided to put the drain hole on the bottom of the (flexible fiberglass bottom!) boat in front of the rowing seat? whyyyyyy.

G
GDBrown
Drain Plug Leak?

Drain Plug Leak?

JeannaJigs said:
I did the Twin Bridges to Illahee this winter, super easy float with no surprises, other than shallow riffles that I ended up dragging bottom on a bit, damaging my plug resulting in a fun slow leak the rest of the day. What genius decided to put the drain hole on the bottom of the (flexible fiberglass bottom!) boat in front of the rowing seat? whyyyyyy.

Jeanna,
Get a stubby plug and insert it from the inside. I had the same problem on the Little Blue Drifter, but never again.