Siletz Monster!!!

J
Johnny Southpaw
Here's a picture of a MONSTER BUCK a friend of mine pulled out of the Siltez yesterday; I've always heard there's some HEAVY METAL in the Siletz but geeezeeee. It's a picture of a picture so quality not so good but still able to discern how big this fish was. My friend was actually able to get some good video of landing this creature, but it's rather explicit (language) so didn't think a good idea to post. My hat's OFF to him...any of you out there caught anything this size in Siletz?

K
Kodiak
Big nate!

Big nate!

That's a nice fish! Big nate bucks like that are hard to come by, but if you put in the time thats one of the rivers to do it in.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Kodiak said:
That's a nice fish! Big nate bucks like that are hard to come by, but if you put in the time thats one of the rivers to do it in.

Yeah he certainly 'earned' that fish, as he's always on the water working for his next hookup. Also, that's a hatchery fish, not a native. I guessed it probably was b/t 3-5 yrs old???? What you think?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Great fish! The Siletz does harbor some fairly large beasts. Here is a legit 16-17 pounder, 39+ inches long, and 19 around, in December. Glad to see others are getting into big clipped fish too! I hooked it on my busted wrist, and had to hand it off because I disloged a pin during the fight, falling all over, and getting tore up! Haha, but my buddy sure was pround to see his home river produces large hatchery fish!

K
Kodiak
Johnny Southpaw said:
Yeah he certainly 'earned' that fish, as he's always on the water working for his next hookup. Also, that's a hatchery fish, not a native. I guessed it probably was b/t 3-5 yrs old???? What you think?

Size is not nesicerally age dependent. It's based OFF of genetics, and how well the fish does as a predator in the ocean.

J
Johnny Southpaw
ArcticAmoeba said:
Great fish! The Siletz does harbor some fairly large beasts. Here is a legit 16-17 pounder, 39+ inches long, and 19 around, in December. Glad to see others are getting into big clipped fish too! I hooked it on my busted wrist, and had to hand it off because I disloged a pin during the fight, falling all over, and getting tore up! Haha, but my buddy sure was pround to see his home river produces large hatchery fish!

That's a beautiful beast-worthy of getting 'tore' up for any day!!!!: Nice job and way to sacrifice life and limb in the name of heavy metal:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: At this point in my steelhead career I can't imagine dancing with a fish like that, whew!:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah, it was a pretty nice fish. But note that it looks bigger than it actually appears. It was being about 8 inches from the chest, givig the fish an extra 10% or so. But yes, bot fish are fairly substantial in my book. You will one day find yourself on the biggest snag ever,and all of a sudden it is going to come to life. More irate than you can possibly imagine! And the fight is on. Godd luck man. You are obviously fishing in the right areas if that fish your bud hooked was milling about! Haha!:lol: